Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
ReClove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reclove.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Kayden or Demetrius?

Post by ReClove »

Definitely Kayden. He was right at the brink of what he thought would have been the best outcome for him. His family and lover right at his side at a quiet and upscale part of town. Somehow, he was already at a stage where he accepted what was to come for him. Even embraced it, as shown on how he wanted to be as a parent. It was like he already loved his child...

Then to suddenly see that gruesome event. Of how everything was murderously taken from him. Like wow. Good luck getting over that kind of thing.

In a world that didn't accept how he truly was (being slanted and such), he was now alone. With no one to be there for him. He was the most pitiful for me. Especially with the ending. Being manipulated.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I seem to be out of step with the other readers. My greatest pity is for Demetrius. Certainly Kayden suffered an enormous loss, but Demetrius, in a sense, lost himself. He tried to do something good and instead caused an absolutely dreadful result, something he never intended. People who lose loved ones can recover over time, even if it is a very long time. But there is no way back from knowing your own guilt.
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html

Post by jardenjarden »

On the one hand, I felt a great deal of pity for Demetirous because, as you said, he destroyed the one place he so desperately wanted to protect. To have all of those people you consider to be your community, your family, slaughtered because of your own actions would be unbearably miserable and guilt inducing. I'm not sure how he as a character is going to come back from that and try to make things right.

On the other hand, we have Kayden, who seemed to be a good man just trying to figure his life situation out. He had a child coming, a loving wife, and a great best friend who sometimes seemed to be more than that. In the end, not only were those he loved ruthlessly murdered, but they were mutilated and defiled in the process. He stumbled upon their bodies and found them that way, traumatizing him and no doubt creating a sort of fire inside of him that might ignite something later on in the series.

So in regards to who I pity more, I'm honestly not sure. I think they both made my heart ache, but for different reasons. I feel like I have more hope for Kayden as at the end of the book, it alluded to him possibly being involved in something more sinister later on and I just don't see how Demetrious could forgive himself and move on from his mistake. I think it will be interesting to see how they interact throughout the rest of the series.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I also choose Kayden as the one who went through the most traumatic experience. He was already going through a tough time not being able to love the boyfriend he loved most, chose to marry someone he did not live only to lose it all in the end. Not being able to enjoy presently, sacrificing oneself only to lose eventually must be quite traumatic. As for Demetrius, he is a monk who in my thoughts can be able to compose himself and recover from his ordeal. My opinion
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kparikh »

In my opinion I pity Demetrius the most. Losing your whole family is not comparable to losing your hometown. Your hometown can also be rebuilt, but your family is irreplaceable.
megan433
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan433.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by megan433 »

I love this question. I would say that I sympathize with Demetrius because he did grow up here and while he tries to distance himself from his past, he still has a softspot for his hometown. I do feel sorry for Kayden, especially after what happens the last fifty or so pages. He lost so much in such a short amount of time that it's hard not to feel sorry for him becuase he is left completely broken by the end of the book.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html

Post by azidy »

Kayden lost everything. I can't say I agree with everything he did, but the social pressure and expectations made him choose a life he didn't want. What they did to the people he loved was horrible and I'm impressed he found the strength to get up.

Demetrius will have to carry the burden of guilt for causing the destruction of his hometown, but it's impossible to know what would've happened without him. I'm sure he'll try his best to make it right.
Flora3 Witney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora3-witney.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by Flora3 Witney »

I believe Kayden suffered the most. He lived a life against his wishes in order to conform to social norms. I expected him to rise again by the end of the book but ended up fully frustrated.
Primetjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primetjay.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Primetjay »

Losing all you have in one instance is trauma enough. Kayden lost all his dearest, wife and unborn child.. that alone made him have all my pity
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

ReClove wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 10:48 Definitely Kayden. He was right at the brink of what he thought would have been the best outcome for him. His family and lover right at his side at a quiet and upscale part of town. Somehow, he was already at a stage where he accepted what was to come for him. Even embraced it, as shown on how he wanted to be as a parent. It was like he already loved his child...

Then to suddenly see that gruesome event. Of how everything was murderously taken from him. Like wow. Good luck getting over that kind of thing.

In a world that didn't accept how he truly was (being slanted and such), he was now alone. With no one to be there for him. He was the most pitiful for me. Especially with the ending. Being manipulated.
I definitely agree. I think the ending is what really pushes me to pity Kayden more. Not only did he lose everyone he loved, but he will now be the demons' puppet for controlling the city.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Kayden. Demetrius lost, but Kayden lost more, if not everything. A loss like that is either life-shattering or life-changing.
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I felt sorry for Kayden. He lost everything that was important to him.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

I feel really bad for Demi but I feel worse for Kayden. Demi still has hope, but for Kayden, you can't bring a lost soul back and he's being fooled for a terrible end as well.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Kayden lost his family but my sympathy for him is diluted by him being slanted and then having a wife. In my opinion, that was rather selfish of him. As for Demetrius, he was trained for honour, service and responsibility as a monk. That was his family. Having extreme destruction of people result from your actions of intended good can be a big burden on one's shoulders. I sympathise with Kayden, he suffered loss, and I also sympathise with Demetrius.
beadeniseroa
Currently Reading: Finnikin of the Rock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beadeniseroa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by beadeniseroa »

Although they both went through so much, my heart goes out to Kayden the most. Demetrius still has people who love and support him and I faith that he can take back his life and his future. For Kayden, death and loss is such a permanent thing. It will stay with Kayden forever. It’s a painful concept for me to grasp.
Here we go mother on the shipless ocean. Pity us, pity the ocean, here we go. — Anne Carson, Decreation

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”