Overall rating and opinion of "The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)" by Matthew Tysz

Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
AJ_Williams011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-williams011.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)" by Matthew Tysz

Post by AJ_Williams011 »

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. It's a good book though. It contains a lot of interesting events and the story arcs are something to look forward to. Except that I found the lack of significant characters disappointing and there were a few grammar mistakes that I located as I read.
All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.
– Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I rated the book 4 out of 4 and I liked it very much! In my opinion the books keep getting better and better, and I regret not being able to increase the score accordingly.
orlandoojhr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by orlandoojhr »

The book introduces us to the powerful kingdom of Voulhire, which is heading towards a golden age and where the elements of wealth, culture and technology in a fast-changing world are not unfamiliar to our own existent world. This is a story of power and revenge. The inhabitants are seen struggling for an identity and Faith, Science, and Magic, each in their own covetous way, offer promises of a perfect world.
The book starts off with the protagonist's point of view, but reading along many characters comes at play, leaving the reader spell-bound as to who the actual protagonist is. I particularly loved how the author has given a through build-up for the 'supposed' antagonist and introduces the antagonist only at the three-fourth way mark. On glimpsing the antagonist side of the story, it left me wondering about my quick judgment and the underlying notions of many other prominent characters.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

An interesting turn of events. It seems that the author is playing with the readers' minds, not letting them be too comfortable in the opinions they made at the beginning of the book.
Very perceptive of you!
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The second book in the series introduces us to a lot of new characters and adventure. This book has a faster pace than it's forerunner which makes this book all the more enjoyable. I love the introduction of demons in the book. The characters of Kayden and Folcro are so well written. I enjoyed the flashbacks of Folcro's childhood and his friendship with Kayden. The way that both of them started as friends in their childhood and grew up to be so different from each other, is completely astounding. Overall I loved reading this book and can't wait to read the next part.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I actually picked up this book to read but I couldn't because of the violence and the disturbing scenes. The writer is creative, I won't deny him of that, but the book is definitely not for everybody.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I personally didn't like this book very much. I do like science-fiction and by the description of this book, it seemed nice. But the action took so long to start. I got bored easily.
Justjaal_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjaal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Justjaal_ »

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was good, but I really didn't connect with it like in the first book. It was very confusing at first, and most of the characters were careless (I even mentioned that in my review). Like, they were keeping a demon and they trusted everything would go smoothly (like you could trust a demon :? ). I think the author did that intentionally, but it was really frustrating for me :roll:
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

Saketjha wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 21:04 It was a 3 out of 4 for me. I liked the dark and twist ending but the middle was a little wayward for me.
Yes, but the waywardness can be overlooked. And the ending made it forgivable.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I have to say, the author wrote this book very nicely. He gave a lot of details on the background and how Voulhire worked.
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

I appreciate the book as a part of the whole series, but on its own, I did not enjoy it as much as the first part. I gave it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. What I liked most about the book was the humorous bantering between Rowan and Demetrius. What I liked least about the book is how much darker it was in comparison to the first novel. I would likely not recommend it as a standalone piece, but as a part of the series, it is more beneficial to read it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

I really liked and enjoyed this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I liked the suspense it carried. I did not like what happened to Kayden's wife. It was so sad that she has to suffer for being Kayden's wife. And the child? It was really terrible. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to everyone.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the action, the suspense, and the detail in which places were rendered. On the minus side were the overall level of violence and the confusion that happened sometimes with so many different characters. I enjoyed the complex plot, but at times it felt as though a character was doing something just to move the plot along; it didn't seem authentic.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I think it is perfect for its genre, horrors and all. I must say it is not for the faint hearted, I must say I was a bit spooked at the release of Sod and the other demons, the horror!
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

This is my first time reading a book written by Tysz, and I must say that it made quite an impression on me. I love the suspense, thrill and action, but I'm not drawn to violence.
I'll rate it a 4 out of 4 regardless.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”