What do you make of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Re: What do you make of the book title?

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Hmm, I think that the main focus of the books occurs in Voulhire. Many people in the forum are saying that it's indicating Galen's arrival to Voulhire...but I also thought about Beth. She is new to the world. Maybe she's the new arrival.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

I think the title is about Galen Bray's arrival in Voulhire, my reasoning being that Galen has arrived in Voulhire, a prosperous kingdom. So he's a new arrival under great skies, below the sky is something great, this is a reference to Voulhire.
Moira15
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Moira15 »

I think it can have various meanings. How Galen steps on the land of Voulhire, or the arrival of the new lord of Hillport, but also could be the first actions of the villain. Great skies overall could mean the prosperous land of Voulhire.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I think the “We are Voulhire” indicates a strong and united stance of the Voulhirian people. I consider “A New Arrival Under Great Skies” to mean Galen arriving and the significance he possibly plays in the survival and wellbeing of Voulhire.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

The title seems to focus on Galen's arrival to Voulhire but as I was reading the book, it did not occur to me that Galen was really the focus of the story enough for the title to be about him.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

The book title confused me a little until Galen landed in Voulhire. Then, it just clicked. Galen is so fascinated by the skyline when he first arrived he was distracted. It definitely made sense after his voyage ended in Magnum Caelum.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

luchi123 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:55 While I read the book, I kept trying to relate the plot with its title ' A New Arrival under Great Skies'. I assumed that the people of Voulhire were in existence before Galen's trip to the land, which was the beginning of the story. Why then do you think they called themselves a new arrival under great skies?
Similar to what most in the comments observed, I also think that the title was not referring to the people of Voulhire; but specifically is referring to the arrival of Galen in Voulhire for the first time.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

That the new arrival is Galen and the Great Stars refer to Voulhire and what he'll make of this opportunity he has been granted.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

The title shows the arrival of Galen Bray to his new land and as he sets up his foot in Voulhire, he glances up to the sky. Even though Galen is the hero of the book, but the story shows the tale of different characters intertwined with each other. And the WE in the title confirms this.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

The great skies could symbolize Voulhire being a great nation celebrating a golden age. The new arrival is pretty much meant to be Galen since from my reading I interpreted he was the only new one there.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html

Post by Janet Kimetto »

'A New Arrival under Great Skies' definitely refers to Galen's arrival into Voulhire. And now that I think about it, the title, really, was one more clue to Galen being the main character, despite there being many characters featured in detail.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Well, Galen was designated as the main character, and he arrived in Voulhire at night, under a canopy of stars. Also, throughout the story, many of the characters (including King Wilhelm) often look up at the vast starry night sky. Furthermore, it is the new beginning or "arrival" of the series, and the cover art reflects this. So, I believe the title fits in perfectly.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Moira15
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Moira15 »

I think it can have multiple meanings. It could relate to the moment as Galen steps on the land of Voulhire, or it could be the arrival of the new lord of Hillport to his new city or the first moves made by the villain.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html

Post by Akshobhya B »

I think the title is from Galen's point-of-view. He has come to Voulhire for the first time and "the great skies" refers to Voulhire itself. Galen has arrived in the vast and prosperous kingdom of Voulhire.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I don't think so that the title stands for the people of Vouhire. I believe that it stands for Galen. He is the new arrival from the land of the prince to voulhire. Galen seems powerless in the first part, but I think he is the one destined to stop Meldorath.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”