Galen's book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Icon Galen's book

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Galen inherited such an interesting and intriguing book from his uncle! :techie-studyingbrown:
But is the book magical, or is Galen a secret mage?
And what does it say about his uncle? Who was he?
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

At the moment I would say the book is magical than Galen having the power of a mage. There is no sign of magical powers yet from him. I have read until book 3, and saw that he could fight with his fist and strength, and it is considerable knowing that he was able to learn fighting while he was at the Lands of the Princes.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

The book was a manual for blacksmiths. I don't think it or Galen's uncle was magical. I also think that if Galen had any magical powers, he would have exhibited a little of it, like Rowan, for instance.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

It is possible that Galen has some secret magical abilities, or perhaps the book has some sinister magical element to it. I hope the answers to these mysteries are revealed in the remaining books of the series, as well as those to the questions about his uncle—another intriguing character we don’t know much about yet.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

To be honest, I just believe that it is an ordinary book that can be extraordinary in the right hands. To me, it's just a compilation of all of the Uncle's knowledge, and if Galen is willing to wield it, he can learn to create magical weapons in the future.
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

luchi123 wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 15:38 The book was a manual for blacksmiths. I don't think it or Galen's uncle was magical. I also think that if Galen had any magical powers, he would have exhibited a little of it, like Rowan, for instance.
But Rowan doesn't have magic, he just used an enchanted bow, if you are referring to that moment. Maybe it's the same for Galen...
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I think Galen's book is magical. This would explain why all Galen had to do was think of what he wanted from the book and the page he would open would have the exact information. Perhaps his uncle practiced magic and left the magical book for Galen to help him learn.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I don't think Galen is a secret mage. I however suspect that the book may have some elements of Magic in it. I say this because at some point in the second part of the book, it was discovered that magic does not necessarily have to be in a person, it can also be placed in an object. Based on this, it is not impossible to say that the book wields some magic in it. As for Galen's uncle, I think that he was a normal man who may have come across something magical. At the same time, I have not been able to dismiss the feeling that Galen might be a secret mage whose powers hasn't surfaced yet.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I didn't notice any magical element to the book. I did really enjoy how carefully Galen followed the directions in the book, and how the reader got to experience the beginner steps of learning smith-work from the uncle's book! That was a nice worldbuilding touch the author built in.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

From what I read about the book, the book that Galen possess was a manual left by his uncle, so he master the basics of blacksmiths.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

The_Vivian wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 07:01 I don't think Galen is a secret mage. I however suspect that the book may have some elements of Magic in it. I say this because at some point in the second part of the book, it was discovered that magic does not necessarily have to be in a person, it can also be placed in an object. Based on this, it is not impossible to say that the book wields some magic in it. As for Galen's uncle, I think that he was a normal man who may have come across something magical. At the same time, I have not been able to dismiss the feeling that Galen might be a secret mage whose powers hasn't surfaced yet.
I also tend to think that the book was imbued with magical elements at some point. Galen's uncle could have done it, or maybe he found it already imbued and thought it would be useful as a manual.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Yeah, about the book. I never gave it much thought. But I believe the book has got some magic to it. I doubt it has anything to do with Galen's magical powers.
Live and let live, baby.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 05:53 Yeah, about the book. I never gave it much thought. But I believe the book has got some magic to it. I doubt it has anything to do with Galen's magical powers.
But what power does it have? Maybe it reveals its secrets only to a person related by blood, and that's why Galen inherited it.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 08:35
AnnOgochukwu wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 05:53 Yeah, about the book. I never gave it much thought. But I believe the book has got some magic to it. I doubt it has anything to do with Galen's magical powers.
But what power does it have? Maybe it reveals its secrets only to a person related by blood, and that's why Galen inherited it.
Maybe, or it's just a means through which Galen's uncle communicates with him from the other side. What do you think?
Live and let live, baby.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

HannahsReads wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 14:45 I didn't notice any magical element to the book. I did really enjoy how carefully Galen followed the directions in the book, and how the reader got to experience the beginner steps of learning smith-work from the uncle's book! That was a nice worldbuilding touch the author built in.
I think the magical element to the book is how Galen always opened to the page that had the information/instructions he was looking for. I agree that watching Galen starting out as a new blacksmith was interesting, although it would have been better if Galen had a bit more character development.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”