Science and Technology in Voulhire

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: Science and Technology in Voulhire

Post by dianaterrado »

I think it's interesting to see how the author blended the science and the magic in this one. Although I do have to say I agree that the science aspect could have been more fleshed out.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

It seems as if the technology they have, make more of an magic impact than anything. I would sa its right on par with medieval dystopian stories, but not being futuristic in the slightest. I think it would be described better as fantastical technology.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

Maconstewart wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 22:34 I believe it is important to keep in mind that this is a different world than ours. Their technology is not going go progress in the same manner. Technologies are developed out of the needs of a society. There is also the question of materials available. You also have to consider if the creators of technology have freedom to just make advancemants, or are they held back by a government or ruler. To compare this imaginative world of Voulhire to our world is like comparing apples to oranges.
I agree. I think that in a different society, the requirements would differ so we wouldn't always end up with the same things built in the end. Similarly to our current world in which some part have access to certain advancements that other parts do not, and vice versa. Overall, I think it's within reason that only some parts of technology were present
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

The messaging system was interesting to me. I would call it magical technology when the mages were able to send messages to each other across many miles telepathically. Other times, birds were carrying messages and they knew exactly where to deliver them.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

What struck me in the book is my inability to put a time in history on it. Although it is the fantasy realm and it’s really not that important, I did feel in parts it had a medieval feel. Then in parts it seemed odd when more modern technology is included. As you say in other parts there is a lack of technology. I think this does help with the mystery and magic of the book and does create a very imaginative world.
dK3 + CCt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dk3-cct.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney

Post by dK3 + CCt »

There is no technology nor science in this book. infact, everything is retreating. Means of transport are outdated and buildings are historically designed. Even there is no logical official manner to keep record of children's births
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think the book is set in some sort of advanced medieval age. It's in another dimension (which can be seen from the fact that there are 380 days in a year, and also, there's magic!), so I think that it makes sense that they can use steam, and yet things we use steam for don't exist there. It is clearly medieval due to the use of swords and armour, and the clothes they wear, but I guess the rules that we have and the technology we have just don't apply there. They haven't advanced to the point of electricity yet, for example, as it is shown that Galen uses an oil lamp at the beginning. I quite like the merging of medieval and semi modern worlds and technology!!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I don't think you can compare different world's development in technology to our own world. A lot of our technology was invented piece by piece by different people. Another world might not have those people.
Also, consider that this world has magic. Necessity is the mother of invention and with magic, there are likely a lot fewer and different necessities than in our world.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

EReid wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 11:38 I don't think you can compare different world's development in technology to our own world. A lot of our technology was invented piece by piece by different people. Another world might not have those people.
Also, consider that this world has magic. Necessity is the mother of invention and with magic, there are likely a lot fewer and different necessities than in our world.
I agree with you in part. I do believe that having magic adds a level of complication to our own history of technology and science and so they are not directly comparable. And what you said about necessity being “the mother of invention” is absolutely true, but using that same statement, it follows that we would see the invention of some of these things where magic clearly doesn’t cover the necessity. Light bulbs for instance. Clearly they have the capability or necessary ingredients for making light bulbs and having the idea for them, and we don’t see magic coming up with any better solutions for lighting as far as I can see, so why are we still relying on torches?

I guess that’s what I’m trying to get at with this post. Does the author do a good job of using necessity as the mother of invention while balancing magic and technology? I don’t see the logic in many of the inclusions or exclusions of these types of things.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

No I don't think the technology is as advanced as the magic and I don't think it's suppose to be. We must keep in mind that the world of Voulhire is not the same as our world. And the author may have focused more on advancing the magic in the book because it has a more significant role in the progress of the storyline.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

I don't think the writer followed the way the world developed technology. He probably just picked some things in history and included them while neglecting other things that existed during that period
So picture it as fantasy. The world is more imaginative than factual and regardless of the fact that some things correlate with actual history, the environment should be seen as a new one.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Folushour wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 08:13 I don't think the writer followed the way the world developed technology. He probably just picked some things in history and included them while neglecting other things that existed during that period
So picture it as fantasy. The world is more imaginative than factual and regardless of the fact that some things correlate with actual history, the environment should be seen as a new one.
I see where you’re coming from, and you make a good point. I guess I just always felt that fantasy should still have an undercurrent of logic even if it doesn’t always fit perfectly with the magic and creatures and imagination. Because even in a fantasy world, there still have to be logical rules and laws which are followed (not necessarily political, these could be natural) else all we would see is chaos.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I had the same thought regarding the gas lamps and torches but then, the Voulhirian world of the book is vastly different than ours. I agree with a few people that it was probably a mix of old and new as well as magic and technology, with magic being a more prominent thing to illustrate the fantasy themes and worldbuilding.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

When I read a book, I bear in mind that it is a different world. If it's dystopian, utopian..etc It is the author's choice. Placing these technological elements is fine. As mentioned above, technology has been advancing in our world for a long time ago. Just because they weren't applied, did not mean they did not exist.
I try not to associate it with our own current timeline.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

engarl wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 12:53 I'm in the middle of reading the book now and wanted to know what everybody thought about the technology in Voulhire. I know this book explores the relationship between magic and science, but it seems to me that some of the technology lacks continuity. For example, it appears that steam engines have been in use for some time, but I don't see any evidence of early car prototypes, or even of steamboats. And the people in Voulhire use gas lamps and torches, which suggests there are no lightbulbs yet, but in our world, lightbulbs were invented shortly after heated plumbing, which Voulhire does have.

So, do you think that the advancement of science and technology is as developed in this book as the magic appears to be?

And if so, what age in our own history have you compared it to in your own reading? It will help me to visualize the setting much better!
Many readers also commented about the untimely existence of some things given that it appeared to the readers that the setting was set in later days, presumably during the Medieval times. I think Matthew was aware of this, so I believe that his book's setting is intentionally incorporated with varying stages of our world's timeline. However, I prefer that he will construct the setting based on one period only.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”