The Magic System

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
[jade]
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade.html
Latest Review: A Poetic Journey To Love by Everett Callaway

Re: The Magic System

Post by [jade] »

I agree! While there was a lot of world-building in the first book, the magic system was not explained thoroughly. Because of this, I was confused about how Galen was going to study magic and how magic would play a role in future books.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

I understand how you feel, it would have more realistic if he put some limitations on the use of magic. Meldorath was definitely a power house when it comes to magic.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I do believe that the author will explain more about the magic system and the intricacies of it in the further books. Caromentis is still a big question mark to me.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

I believe if you read the sequel you will get a better understanding of how magic works and appreciate more of Tysz imagination. Keep going.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

Hi Karina. Yes, I did feel the same way. I felt a bit confused and frustrated at the shallow explaination that was given about the magic system.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

The author reveals more in his other books so I think him withholding some details is needed to build up suspense. But now that you bring it up, I also feel cheated about the author describing magic as having limitations then creating several characters who use it without limitations. I'd like to think that there are a few characters who had mastered magic enough to be able to manipulate it.
Teletha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teletha.html
Latest Review: Viking Blood and Blade by Peter Gibbons

Post by Teletha »

I don't think the system was thought about thoroughly, instead the author was introducing a magic world coexisting with natural world. I don't know how long it has been since this discovery. They could have created a proper system for it but as you noticed it as if there was non, in the natural world atleast. Maybe people in natural/physical world suppressed it, that's why its not elaborated more.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I can see your point and agree that magic wasn't explained in detail in the first book. I remember having a lot of questions that weren't answered and I didn't quite understand how Caromentis worked.

On the other hand, the book was short and lacked a lot of other important information. I don't think it was possible to include more about magic without including detail about other elements and characters. It should really be read as a series and individual novels will always be lacking in detail.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

fancyjg wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 11:37 I believe if you read the sequel you will get a better understanding of how magic works and appreciate more of Tysz imagination. Keep going.
Book 2 did give a little more explanation, but not much. There were a few sentences that described the big picture of how faith, magic, and science relate, but I don't remember reading much else. Perhaps more is coming in the rest of the series.
Jabril Miller
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12ultimate.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jabril Miller »

Particularly since there's so much focus on magic being a pivotal part of this series (what with the mages being strong enough that certain individual's entire existence constitutes a threat, and the realm of magic being what it is), not having the rules and limitations on what that magic can and can't do becomes a problem since it both leaves the reader confused and can open up to eventual plot contrivances or plot holes further down in the series when these things are ultimately relevant or necessary.

I myself in particular am an unabashed fan of hard magic systems, so the fact that this one is so loose and informal "gets my goat" in multiple fashions, truthfully.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I also think the same. I expected, at least, a certain introduction to magic. This could have been done easily since Galen also comes from outside, so someone explaining the basic of the system to him would be justified. However, I do believe there was a lot of secrecy around magic, like everyone knows but us, both Galen and the readers. I missed more information in this part.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I agree that the lack of explanation as to how the magic system functioned was irritating. I found that what explanation that was provided to be overly complicated and to not make a great deal of sense.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I felt like this first book of the series introduced the main characters and began the world building. The author has to walk a fine line of giving enough information to spark interest without overwhelming readers. I think there will be new revelations about magic for Galen to discover in the following books. I thought it was interesting that when Meldorath showed his power, even the other characters were amazed at the breadth of his powers! Seems like they will be learning more as we go, too!
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

First off, just the term and definition "bio magic" got me all kinds of stoked. Changing things on the cellular level? That is a possibly insane level of power, both in scope and possible variety.
I mean, hey now your bones are made of glass, or your hair is lava.
And shapeshifting? Whats to say you can't just make yourself change in all the best ways? You can change fat cells, or erase them, so obviously can make anyone lose weight.
I think just a few things a bio mage could be good at would ensure a lifetime career, if not overwhelming power.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This is an interesting thought... I hadn't realized until now, but there was indeed very little elaboration on the "rules" of the magic system. While the author could have expanded on this, I think the future books will give us all we need to know. This book was just the appetizer :wink:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”