Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Re: Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Post by Dominik_G »

I have only read the first book of the series so I don't think I know enough about all the characters to make a definitive and final judgment, but I do kind of trust both Rowan and Demetrius based on what I've read so far. Though it might simply be because I really like both of them, haha.
Kolisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kolisa.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Kolisa »

I found their relentless devotion to every if Galen's pursuits suspicious. I wouldn't trust them if I was Galen
strange07
Currently Reading: Tomboy
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strange07.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by strange07 »

I feel Galen should trust Demetrius more than Rowan. Even though Rowan helped Galen from his nightmare I felt him as not trustworthy. He might be harbouring evil intention
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I was instantly suspicious of Rowan - he seems very sneaky, and I fear he may not have Galen's best interests at heart. Demetrius I was a little more trusting of; however, having finished the book, I have my doubts. I feel Galen is very naive when it comes to people's motives. He only sees good, and doesn't expect bad. He has a lot to learn.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Dark_Chase
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dark-chase.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dark_Chase »

Galen is already trusting them! He found a real friendship in Rowan. And Demetrius is a knowledgable person. Galen has never been through trust issues, all he knew was to survive. He hasn't been betrayed by Rowan or Demetrius. So, he is willing to trust them and learn to thrive in this world.
Galen would not risk his new friendship because of Rowan's and Demetrius past. It all depends on their present actions.
(based on book #1)
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

I trust Rowan more than Demetrius. I think Galen can trust Rowan too. He has been of tremendous help to him. Thanks to Rowan, Galen had a smooth transition into life at Voulhire.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

They are definitely hiding some secrets but I don't think their secrets will affect Galen in any way. At least for now, Galen should trust Rowan and Demetrius.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

There certainly do seem to be secrets they are each hiding. However, I wonder if the author is setting us up to think we can't trust them, and then, in subsequent novels, he can add in some surprising twists that we didn't see coming.
sadwh0e_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadwh0e.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by sadwh0e_ »

I find Rowan still suspicious despite him always looking out for Galen. However, there is something about Demetrius that makes him interesting. I think it's too early to tell whether Galen should trust them as this is just the first installment.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

I didn't trust Rowan either, especially after how he didn't want to go back and kept on dragging Galen from one place to the next. Perhaps he was just acting as a guide since he knew Galen was new to the place. But in his conversation with Demetrius after Galen goes to bed, it seems like he knows Galen is too kind and he recognizes and appreciates that. He also seems to think that Galen too generous and others might take advantage of that. Demetrius and Rowan initially took a dislike to each other, but they seem to have their own strange way of getting along.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Well i think they make a perfect trio because they are misfits. As always. And i think Rowan has the best interest at his heart for Galen but Demetrius is suspicious. I trust them both anyway.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I do not trust Rowan one bit, but I'm also sceptical about Demetrius. So, it is important that Galen maintains his naivety (this time as a facade), while sizing those two up. He must trust his gut first.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

valeriejane wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 16:12 I don't trust Rowan. I think he is a tad sneaky and hiding something. Furthermore, I think Demetrius is cut from the same cloth as Rowan and he also has a hidden agenda. They took an immediate dislike to each other because they are so much alike. Similar to it takes a thief to catch a thief.

Although I these two may have nefarious motives, and I enjoy the contention and I believe they add depth to the story.

Do I have this all wrong?
Should Galen trust Rowan or Demetrius?
I would like to know what you think?
~ Valerie
I think Rowan has shown he is trustworthy.
He did what Galen's Uncle asked and brought Galen to Voulhire even without supervision.
Demitrius has no reason to harm Galen either as he is his employer.

I think Rowan and Demitrius are hostile to each other because of jealousy. Not something particularly nefarious.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

At the beginning of the book, I believed in Rowan. But his private discussions with Demetrius we're quite suspicious.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think that the mystery surrounding both is just to add to character depth and the overall plot. If all the characters were likeable and set in the hero role it'd make the story flat and pointless. They do have their secrets - that much is obvious, but I don't think they're evil. I suppose we'll see in the sequel to this book.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”