Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Re: Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Post by nangel04 »

Well, if I were Galen, coming from a land such as his, I would not be able to trust anyone! However, based on my view as a reader rather than placing myself in Galen’s shoes, I would have to say...Rowan, definitely not, and Demetrius, maybe. Rowan is obviously hiding something. What that is would be anyone’s guess. Demetrius, however, seems much more honest. That is not to say he is being honest, just that he seems more forthcoming than Rowan. Of course, that may mean he is just better at hiding deceit. I guess we will just have to read on and see.
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I agree that they are both hiding something though it may not be sinister. Demetrius might have ulterior motives for agreeing to help Galen. I don't want to hastily make a conclusion because I have only read one installment of the series. But, I think they can be of great help in Galen's journey.
DanielleShe
Currently Reading: CodeY
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleshe.html
Latest Review: Into the Hand of a Woman by Carla C. Ohse

Post by DanielleShe »

I think Rowan should or rather may learn to trust them in the end. In the beginning, they all seemed to have different interests and paths but through the challenges they have been facing, I foresee a good friendship growing between the three. Galen seems to be warming up to them too. It seems to me he can trust them.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I believe Rowan about not wanting to go back to the city. I don't think he necessarily has bad intentions toward Galen, but I also think that he'll look out for himself first. Right now, it serves him to be friends with Galen, but later it might not.

As for Demetrius, I don't think he has bad intentions either. He gave a very logical, nice explanation of how Galen should be protected toward the end of the book. I don't think that was fake.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I'm not sure. I did think at one time that they were using Galen. But maybe they just need a friend. I think they like Galen because of his nurturing personality.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

In my opinion, Rowan will be a helpful supporter for Galen on his journey as a blacksmith and throughout his life. Demetrius is the one that I will keep my eye out for because he could be connected to Meldorath and his evil plans.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think that Galen shouldn't trust Rowan and Demetrius. Rowan is definitely hiding something that is why he felt bad when Galen mentioned that he wanted him to return to Soulhire. I would love to see whether my thoughts are true by reading the other books in the We are Voulhire series.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

valeriejane wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 16:12 I don't trust Rowan. I think he is a tad sneaky and hiding something. Furthermore, I think Demetrius is cut from the same cloth as Rowan and he also has a hidden agenda. They took an immediate dislike to each other because they are so much alike. Similar to it takes a thief to catch a thief.

Although I these two may have nefarious motives, and I enjoy the contention and I believe they add depth to the story.

Do I have this all wrong?
Should Galen trust Rowan or Demetrius?
I would like to know what you think?
~ Valerie
I agree that Rowan appeared to have a hidden motive for sticking with Galen, but I believe that it doesn't include harming anybody, particularly Galen. I think that Demetrius, despite reserved, don't have any unseen harmful agenda either. However, I think it would be untimely if Galen already trust them since it's too soon. Overall, these two have intriguing background, including Galen.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think Rowan has some ulterior motive in being with Galen, but I don't think it is something horrible which will endanger Galen. I think Demetrius is okay. It's too early to judge him.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Rowan and Demetrius' relationship struck me as more like they enjoyed goading each other than dislike. I think Galen should trust those two. I believe that whatever motives they have - if any - wouldn't hurt him.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I don't think he should trust anyone😂😂💔. They're both suspicious, and they both clearly have hidden agendas. I think he should just be careful until he learns more about them.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I don't trust Rowan at all. He being to Galen, since the beginning. But there is something what his character that make me hate it. It can be the fact that he treat girl as fun. I believe he is with Galen for some hidden purpose. On other side, Demetrius, seems a nice guy. I think he just want to help Galen with the rock.
Widade Assaly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-widade-assaly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Widade Assaly »

I think it's a bit soon to make any judgments about Rowan and Demetrius. But I feel that Rowan's attitude is suspicious. He keeps helping Galen even though he doesn't need to. He might planning on taking advantage of Galen's wealth. Demetrius, on the other side, is still a stranger and we don't know his intentions. Galen shouldn't trust him either for the time being.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

I would rather say that Rowan shouldn't be trusted. Though, he's doing great for Galen. But who knows, he might be hiding an intention to exploit Galen's steel forge business by manipulating Galen later on.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I agree with others that Rowan and Demetrius definitely have alternative motives. I don't think they want to actively harm Galen, but they do have their reasons to be so super nice to him. Can't wait to read the rest of the series to discover how their narrative arcs develop.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”