Lord Meldorath.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: Lord Meldorath.

Post by Krista Ash »

Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 02:00 I usually have this affinity with God-like characters e.g Lord Meldorath. He might not directly have a hand in the attack on hillport but one of his subordinates might. I didn't see him do anything wrong prior to his imprisonment. I guess that changed him
If I remember correctly, Meldorath had been using people as experiments for magic, or as the woman who arrested him said, he had been toying with the lives of others.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

Meldorath seems like a mysterious figure and at times seems bad and at others like any other person. He has failed perhaps but I guess we don't know everything until later
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Bookreviwer2020 wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 20:11 Meldorath seems like a mysterious figure and at times seems bad and at others like any other person. He has failed perhaps but I guess we don't know everything until later
I agree. The times where he's like any other person are what really have me rooting for him deep down. When Beth arrives and Meldorath shows himself as a sad, betrayed friend, that really won me over to his side. As the mystery around him fades, I suppose I'll have to wish failure on him, but for now, I almost want him to succeed.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

I suspect Meldorth would be involved in that attack in Hillport.
No doubt Meldorth is a bad guy, but also has wrongfully imprisoned since he wasn't even given a trial first! Another thing comes to my mind also how on earth did they even imprison him, especially since he has magical power, his disappearance isn't too justified yet!
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

Meldorath definitely has a hand in the Riva Rohavi's attack on Hillport. However, the matter of which whether he deserved imprisonment or not is yet to be seen because from what I understrood, there definitely is a reason and misunderstanding each other's action led to their current situation.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:22 Everyone is made to believe that Meldorath is dead. But he has been imprisoned in a tower on an island. What did you think about Meldorath's power? Is there a possibility he could have influenced the Rival Rohavi to attack Hillport? Was he wrongfully imprisoned or did he deserve it?
Lord Meldorath was feared by the people of Hillport. I guess he is that powerful. The attack of the Riva Rohavi could be him, or his trusted allies (also mages) who were not in prison. It is too early to assume that whatever he committed is against the law or not. It could be that he is a victim of politics on which the king can't help him escape.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

King Wilhelm in my opinion is fond of Meldorath's and his influence over the townspeople and all of Voulhire is a concern to him as well. So I think he was responsible for this
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

I think Meldorath could escape imprisonment quite easily, considering his powers. But also, knowing Meldorath, he's an exceptional planner and thinker. He knows how to determine the where, when, and how of an effective attack/move. That, I believe, is what makes him such an exceptional character. I cannot wait to hear more of his story!
tasteph1364
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasteph1364.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by tasteph1364 »

Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:22 Everyone is made to believe that Meldorath is dead. But he has been imprisoned in a tower on an island. What did you think about Meldorath's power? Is there a possibility he could have influenced the Rival Rohavi to attack Hillport? Was he wrongfully imprisoned or did he deserve it?
From what I read, it seemed pretty clear that Meldorath sent that unsigned message to the Riva. Are there other indications in subsequent books?
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I think it is a clever resource for the author to create a legend about Meldorath, in the sense that he was feared and was believed for dead. On the other hand, the doubt is created as to whether such a powerful magician could be dead or imprisoned.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I didn't understand why Lord Meldorath went quietly along with his faked death. IF he was as powerful as everyone feared him to be then he should have been able to escape quite easily.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I think Meldorath can be termed the most powerful mage, this is because of his actions towards the end of the book. And as for whether or not he could have influenced the Riva people, I think that he did even though my assertions have not been proven. I however think that he was wrongfully imprisoned, but I think he deserved it.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Meldorath is my favorite character though he deserved being imprisoned even without trial, his magic was too strong and he used it for his advantage only.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Georgephilips wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 21:38 I suspect Meldorth would be involved in that attack in Hillport.
No doubt Meldorth is a bad guy, but also has wrongfully imprisoned since he wasn't even given a trial first! Another thing comes to my mind also how on earth did they even imprison him, especially since he has magical power, his disappearance isn't too justified yet!
He allowed them to imprison him. When the soldiers came for him, he thought about making an example of them and the people of Hillport. Why he didn't is undetermined. Perhaps he wanted to be left alone to study magic. If he had resisted imprisonment, every available mage and soldier in the country would probably be sent to capture him.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Considering how powerful Meldorath is, I want to believe he has something up his sleeves. He his unpredictable and I'd say he was wrongfully imprisoned.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”