What was your favorite scene from the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Re: What was your favorite scene from the book?

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I enjoyed every scene depicting Lord Eldus, as he was definitely my favourite character. However, my favourite was probably the one where he and his family are travelling by carriage to Hillport and he yells out that Riva are there, scaring some of his new guards. This has no impact on the guards who know him and his antics. This scene just went to show all the more how fun, lighthearted and good-natured Lord Eldus was.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Victoria Baadom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-baadom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Baadom »

My favorite scene is Demetrius and Rowan's first meeting. True, it was scary (I was scared that the mage was joining to lock Rowan in a "crushing singularity from whence there is no escape" - I still don not know what that means), there is no denying the fact that it was truly hilarious. Lol.

This scene made me love Rowan even more.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

My favorite has to be the shocking death of Lord Eldus and his family. I seriously wasn't expecting him to get killed nor his family. They seemed like the type of characters that would have been saved at the last second due to plot armor. As much as their deaths sadden me, I'm very glad the author didn't have them spared. It adds more realism to the story and the stakes going forward.
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I loved how the author explained Beth's scene in Caromentis. He painted a vivid picture of the magical world that was so easy to understand. I was so mesmerised while reading about it.

I loved the scene where Demetrius met Galen and Rowan for the first time. I love his and Rowan's silly skirmishes a lot. They are all so entertaining. I always get so excited when the point of view shifts to these three in the book.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Kate Park wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 20:47 My favorite scene was definitely when Marshus told the story of Meldorath to his sister Isla. It was so innocent and cute. Seeing the two siblings together simply being siblings was so special.
I also really enjoyed this scene! It was such a special and intimate moment between a brother and sister who love each other and enjoy each other's company. So special :D
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

My favorite scene was when Galen met Rowan. I really enjoyed the scene because you could feel the friendship budding from the start.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

When Lord Eldus Alderman was reading Meldorath's notes. Then suddenly the evil man starts conversing with him as the notes write themselves down. I was thrilled by that. It definitely gave me the jitters.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

The action scenes when mages tried to fight Meldorath. It was a failure but they all tried until their last breath.
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

My favourite scene was when the old man in the ship regalled Galen and other passengers with tales about Voulhire.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

I really liked Galen's voyage to Voulhire and seeing the beauty of Voulhire from a new perspective. I also liked the scene where Beth travels to the cosmos. She doesn't seem to think of Meldorath as someone to be feared and treats him differently.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

My best characters are Helen and Marshus. Every scene they appear is interesting and I love it.

I also enjoyed Rowan and Demetrius' quibbles. Their scenes always come off as comedy.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

I really liked the action scene from the prologue as well as the battle scene towards the end with the Riva at Hillport. I think the prologue really roped me in and got me excited for the book so a good start definitely left an impression on me.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

For whatever reason, the scene where Galen is first exploring his uncle's house and discovers the plumbing really stayed with me. Galen is just so innocent and appreciative of everything he has, even if it's not a lot.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I enjoyed scenes with Galen, Rowan and Demetrius but I also loved the scene with Chancellor Maido, King Wilhelm and the prince. Quite interesting dynamics between them.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

The chapters surrounding Lord Eldus. He was such a kind man, striving to improve Hillport and the quality of life for the people living there. He's the kind of leader our world needs more of.
(By implication, my least favorite scene was when Lord Eldus was murdered.)

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”