Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Post by Krista Ash »

Marloo wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 02:10 Rowan seems to have alternative motives for hanging around with Galen, although we don’t get informed about them. The Mayor does not seem to have those, but then again, not everything is what it seems like, especially in Voulhire. I would be careful with both of them.
This is true. Rowan does get pretty upset when Galen says he can go home, but maybe this is because Rowan is a bit of an outcast in his hometown?
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Sou Hi wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:09
Krista Ash wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 14:50
aaurba wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 04:15 I'd stick with town mayor. I believe Rowan has some ulterior motives. Also, his offensive, upsetting language is a red flag of his true character.
I agree with your description of Rowan. I'm not as concerned about Rowan's ulterior motives since I suspect he might be a bit lonely and perhaps an outcast due to his questionable actions in the bigger city. I do think his language and somewhat careless treatment of woman would make me question the value of his friendship.
I agree. It's not clearly shown in the first book, but Rowan does act like a lonely child who craves love in the sequels. But I think he is quite honest in his talks with Galen. I do find him suspicious trying to stick to Galen, but I doubt he has any reasons to harm Galen. It's Galen's uncle who came to Rowan and not the other way around, after all.
Also, Rowan is quite well-known for as an executor for helping with difficult cases. I imagine if he was a questionable character, Galen's uncle wouldn't have gone to him. Rowan also could have stolen from Galen without Galen knowing it, but it doesn't seem like he has (although, we wouldn't know one way or the other) especially since he's worried about Galen's generosity instead of taking advantage of it.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html

Post by Sou Hi »

Krista Ash wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 14:42
Sou Hi wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:09
Krista Ash wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 14:50

I agree with your description of Rowan. I'm not as concerned about Rowan's ulterior motives since I suspect he might be a bit lonely and perhaps an outcast due to his questionable actions in the bigger city. I do think his language and somewhat careless treatment of woman would make me question the value of his friendship.
I agree. It's not clearly shown in the first book, but Rowan does act like a lonely child who craves love in the sequels. But I think he is quite honest in his talks with Galen. I do find him suspicious trying to stick to Galen, but I doubt he has any reasons to harm Galen. It's Galen's uncle who came to Rowan and not the other way around, after all.
Also, Rowan is quite well-known for as an executor for helping with difficult cases. I imagine if he was a questionable character, Galen's uncle wouldn't have gone to him. Rowan also could have stolen from Galen without Galen knowing it, but it doesn't seem like he has (although, we wouldn't know one way or the other) especially since he's worried about Galen's generosity instead of taking advantage of it.
Yeah, his worry about Galen's generosity seems genuine, given that he warns Galen many times. Also, I don't recall him asking for Galen's money at all. He insists on paying for his own meal, meaning he's a fair guy and not some sycophant.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Reader 05 wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:36 Rowan seems to be hiding something, however, he has helped Galen throughout his journey. The Mayor seems more trustable though, so I would most definitely trust the Mayor.
I agree that the Mayor has a more stable/steady personality, based on the few interactions Galen had with him, which would make him a more reliable friend. That said, Rowan's companionship throughout Galen's journey does show that he's dependable, which increases my trust in him.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I think I would pick Rowan he seemed honest about his wrong doings with the mayors daughter even if it made him look like a jerk, on the other hand the mayor hasn't offered us a single reason why we should trust him
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:39 I think I would pick Rowan he seemed honest about his wrong doings with the mayors daughter even if it made him look like a jerk, on the other hand the mayor hasn't offered us a single reason why we should trust him
I agree with the reasoning about Rowan. He tells Galen why the mayor doesn't like him when Galen asks, which shows his honesty. He's also helps Galen along the journey. I disagree with your conclusion about the mayor - while he hasn't been overly helpful, he did bring Galen to the house, and he hasn't offered us a single reason why we should NOT trust him.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

For me, I would trust Rowan more. This is because he was paid handsomely to look for Galen as Galen's uncle's executor, and he delivered. So I would rather trust someone who had done his job quite well after being paid than trust a politician.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I wouldn't trust Rowan as far as you could throw him. He appears to be an opportunist with only one goal in mind - to better his fortune. There is really no reason for him to hang onto Galen except to gain something for himself. Therefore, I'd break bread with the Mayor way before Rowan.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

Trust is something you gain as you build a relationship. And between the two, it is most likely that Galen build friendship with Rowan because of their close proximity. Although there is little interaction with Galen and the mayor to build anything. But Rowan surely is offending at times. So Galen should be wary on both 😊
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I would definitely trust the Mayor over Rowan. The Mayor seemed genuinely worried for Galen's wellfare, whereas Rowan seemed to be hanging on to him to improve his own position in life.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Mstrtim wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 14:49 I wouldn't trust Rowan as far as you could throw him. He appears to be an opportunist with only one goal in mind - to better his fortune. There is really no reason for him to hang onto Galen except to gain something for himself. Therefore, I'd break bread with the Mayor way before Rowan.
I agree that Rowan is hanging onto Galen to gain something for himself, but I think that something is friendship. Rowan strikes me as a brash but lonely guy. It seems like he has a bit of a reputation in Soulhire where he's from, which might make him a bit of an outcast. Galen is a nice guy, which I think has made Rowan fond of him.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

The mayor doesn't seem to have an unpleasant motive in being nice to Galen. Rowan on the other hand, as his reasons for sticking with Galen. He seems reluctant to return home. With regards to trust, it is still early to decide as Galen had only interacted with them for a few days. Moreover, Galen is not that completely clueless.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

I'd trust Rowan. If you observe Rowan was sort of open to Galen Bray, so as the Mayor. Rowan got this unique feature of trying to stick with Galen and also help Galen, something the Mayor don't do. Even upon meeting and knowing Galen enough, Rowan was overally nice to him at first. So I trust Rowan more!
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

I would trust both of them if I was Galen because they both seem to have good intentions.
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

I would keep the two close to observe them. The mayor would definitely come first as Rowan seems a bit rude but given his age his character can be excused. Later in the book we learn that the mayor and Rowan had differences because Rowan was involved with the mayor's daughter.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”