Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Re: Who would you trust, the town Mayor or Rowan?

Post by ankushavhad »

Of course, Rowan. As a fellow buddy fellow and witty friend, Galen always trusted and believed him in personal matters too.
On the other hand, to the Mayor, I think Galen respected in mostly in official concerns.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

I think Rowan is a better choice if you are looking for someone to trust, however it’s just as long as his motives align with yours. He seems like a person who sees things through when we gets something out of it.
Pamela Bianca Mas
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

The fact that Rowan is hanging around seemed strange to me, though it didn't seem like he was out to hurt Galen. The mayor of the town needs Galen's services. They didn't like each other over the mayor's daughter. I don't see any reason,yet, not to trust either of the men. Galen should just keep his eyes open and be careful.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

If I was in Galen's shoes it would be initially have some difficulty in trusting either of them. The Mayor seems nice to Galen but it could be because he knows the wealth Galen is inheriting and might want to manipulate him in one way or the other. Rowan, on the other hand, seems suspicious because he wants to stick around even when his work is done and does not want to reveal his true identity. In Galen's shoes, I might lean a bit towards Rowan because of his amorous adventure with the Mayor's daughter. It might suggest a free spirited personality and one not entirely interested in power or wealth as marrying the mayor's daughter (which he refused to) would have given him a quick access to. I think as a survivor from a war-torn area, Galen should have had the ability to at least read people's personality but the author failed in giving him that attribute and rather made him a naive fellow.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I would more Rowan for the simple fact that he has helped Galen more than the proper mayor; however, there's a need to keep an eye on him.
Escaperoute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Escaperoute »

I think if I was Galen I would have trusted Rowan. He was the person who found out Galen and explained many things to him about the town and the work of his uncle. In every step he always helped Galen and gave him advise.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Reader 05 wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:36 Rowan seems to be hiding something, however, he has helped Galen throughout his journey. The Mayor seems more trustable though, so I would most definitely trust the Mayor.
You have a point here. Rowan wasn't transparent enough, but then I would still go with Rowan for obvious reasons.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

At the beginning Rowan felt a little bit shady and this made it hard for me to believe him; however, when I came to know Rowan a little bit better, my opinions changed. Of course this does not mean that I fully support his decisions. For example, when I learnt that the reason the Mayor and Rowan didn't see eye to eye was because he had slept with the Mayor's daughter and given her hopes of them being together, I wasn't really pleased with Rowan.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

aaurba wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 04:15 I'd stick with town mayor. I believe Rowan has some ulterior motives. Also, his offensive, upsetting language is a red flag of his true character.
I completely agree with this. From the start, Rowan was pushing Galen to become the best blacksmith even though Galen still doesn't know anything about the job. It seemed really awkward to be pushing him so hard. Why wouldn't you leave and come back and discuss an opportunity with him? Does Rowan even have a job still? And his language was really jarring too. It didn't seem to fit in the vernacular of the story. He was my least favorite character, for sure.

I'd definitely trust the Mayor over Rowan.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

Rowan. In the first book, I thought that Rowan had some bad plans in the back of his head but now that we've got to know him better, I think I trust him the most.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I would definitely trust the town mayor over Rowan because Rowan seems utterly untrustworthy. He is young and can have all number of hidden objectives.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

Rowan does seem to be secretive but he is also honest with Galen, the Mayor does seem as if he could be trusted but would he put Rowans interests before his own?
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

Naturally, the mayor would be more trustable, but Rowan is a very likable character and I just found myself to be on his side.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

To be honest I wouldn't really doubt either one of them. First of all, there's nothing to doubt about the mayor. And when it comes to Rowan I would probably just think of him as a cool guy helping me out. Sure him helping me that much would be a little peculiar but other than that I wouldn't be worried unless I were myself (as in me a young woman and Rowan. Then I would be real careful . :wink: :D )

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

The Mayor's hurtrate towards Rowan arises from the past. If the mayor would only focus on the present things cauld have been different. People often have bad histry which shape them into better beings. So I will definitely trust Rowan over the town Mayor.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”