Which character perspective was your favourite and why?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Re: Which character perspective was your favourite and why?

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

I also enjoyed reading Alderman's chapters! Especially when he was doing something good for the city. I enjoyed reading those
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 04:44 Lord Eldus scenes were nice and all, but what really got my blood pumping was Midius Maido's scenes. He seems like such an interesting character. We should have seen more of him.
I think that the way Maido plays with people's lives makes him a bit more interesting. It seems like he makes trouble for the fun of it, and I think he's got something brewing for Darius to ruin Wilhelm's plans. I look forward to reading more about him in the rest of the series.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Demetrius was my favorite character by far, while Lord Meldorath ranked second. The monk was very intriguing and I enjoyed his bickering with Rowan. Looking forward to discover his powers and skills!
Budhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-budhal.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Budhal »

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:58 After the first book, I instantly like Rowan and his knacks. Though he acts like a juvenile, he is quite capable and intelligent. His boldness and mischief, too. Who would go around nickname someone they have just meet for 5 minutes :D?
I second that :D Rowan is damn cute and charming. If a movie is ever made on this book, no doubt Rowan is going to be my favorite :lol2:
What isn't said is as important as what is said.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I liked Lord Eldus Alderman the most. He was the most sincere character. I feel that Galen's true character is yet to be expressed fully.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I liked Galen's the best although for the purported main character he did not seem to get a great deal of screen time so to speak. What I did not like however was the fact that the the perspectives kept changing between first and third person which I found to be very annoying.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I agree. Alderman's perspective was different and interesting. I would have loved it if he wouldn't have died so soon. There was still a lot yet to be uncovered by Alderman about Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath. I especially enjoyed how he had great ambition for his people, especially for the children.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Not very original, I know, but I liked Galen's perspective. I think that his point of view was the most important because he was the outsider in Voulhire, so he provided objectivity.
deborahveader
Favorite Book: The Perfect Husband: An FBI Profiler Novel
Currently Reading: To Own Two Suns
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborahveader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by deborahveader »

Galen was by far my favorite character. I would have loved it if the story had focused on him and nothing else. He is so innocent and humble. As the reader, you are genuinely glad for his good fortune. I am hoping the next books focus on him more, since he is the main character of the book and by far the most likable.
Kazak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kazak.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Kazak »

I liked Galen's perspective more because it was more immersive, it being first person after all. Another reason I liked it was that I just felt more at ease, more connected to the story, or at least his part of the story, when I was in his point of view.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

Rowan was my favourite character. I liked how funny and easy going he was, and not boring like Demetrius(no offence). Plus, he was skilled and from the descriptions, I can tell he is cute. I could rant forever about him.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

King Wilhelm's character was what I was looking forward to most in the book. He seems like a good king and it is interesting to see how he manages trouble and unrest within his nation while surrounded by evil. Rowan's perspective is a close second as he seems quite layered.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I felt connected to Galen Bray. Even though his naive nature was a bit questionable, I felt like his kindness and generosity touched me. The traits of Galen's character resonated with me.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I liked Galen's perspective better. He is new to Voulhire and he describes more what he sees. And I get confused with the other characters' perspectives.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I find Galen's view interesting. Because he is as new to Voulhire as we- the readers are. His innocence was refreshing during all the cunning plots in the book. I was also interested by Rowan's character and we can see him only through Galen's view.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”