If you could change one thing about the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: If you could change one thing about the book?

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

If I could change one thing about this book, I would have chosen to give the reader a bit more information about Meldorath and perhaps some form of backstory for this character. Though the mystic surrounding this character is essential, I would have loved to know more about him.
Moira15
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Moira15 »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 06:20 If I could change one thing about this book, I would have chosen to give the reader a bit more information about Meldorath and perhaps some form of backstory for this character. Though the mystic surrounding this character is essential, I would have loved to know more about him.
I didn't really feel like that at the first book, but that was the exact thing I highlighted in my review for the second book of the series. I had a double feeling about him, just as you've explained is. On one side all the mysteriosness that comes with a villain like him, on the other side the urge to get to really understand the character.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

If given one thing to change, I think I would have spared Lord Eldus's daughter Isla. I think she has potential to be a great character. I get why Lord Eldus died. I understand why the poor people of Hillport were slaughtered. However, it seemed like such a waste for his daughter to die. She was kind to people. She wanted things for the people of Hillport so they could succeed. I just saw great potential there. I do think her death is going to fuel Marshus.

I do think we will see more development of Galen later so I'll leave him be for now.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

Well, the character development for this first book was quite low and could have been more. It left a lot of loose ends and made the book a bit difficult to follow at some point.
I'd also not have killed Lord Eldus. But hopefully, his son didn't die.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 08:37 Imagine you were given a chance to change one thing about the book. It could be a person, an event, a decision, a course of action, or anything else.

How would you use this opportunity? Or do you think the book is perfect as it is? :eusa-think:
I would like to add more details in the first chapter. Galen never thought of a family member in the Lands of the Princes when he received the papers, and very abruptly went to the docks. But he mentioned a grandma later after his arrival. I would like to add enlightenment to the readers if he doesn't have any family left.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I wish the author had given us more information on the Lands of the Princes. That would have made Galen's character more fascinating. It's probably going to be there in the next books. But I wish that something about Galen's homeland was discussed. I expected Rowan or Demetrius to ask him about it.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

I would've liked to know more about that biomage. He seems kinda mysterious and despite being powerful didn't break out of jail until the end. It seems like he was doing all of this purposefully. Secondly, I would like to know what happened to the land of princes after Galen left that place.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I respect the author in how he writes the characters or plots in his books, so I won't change anything.
I have to read the sequels to finally say which turns of events are justified.
Many mysterious characters will be revealed in the next books, so I hope we will be given more background of these people.
Also, I agree that chapter numbers should be included.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I would get rid of the prologue, the part of the book in which the author describes how Meldorath murders Orlin and how Meldorath gets arrested three months later. After reading the prologue, I was so confused about the significance of these events on the plot, especially since chapter 1 jumps straight to another important character and event (the king and his Golden Age celebration). I would have been a lot less confused if the events and characters of the prologue would have been introduced later in the story.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

There were quite a few things I'd want to change about the book. But the main thing would be the info-dump, there were parts where the descriptions went on and on with too many names, and I couldn't keep up with any of it. Some parts also got a little boring because of it. I understand the author was trying to build a detailed world, but the information could have been spread around throughout the book. Also, the similar sounding names were a problem for me.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Keep Isla and Charlotte Alderman alive! I've not read past the first book yet so if there's a bit of a bait-and-switch where they're somehow alive, then I stand corrected, but as it is, it seems like they simply died offscreen. Given that there are so few female characters and so many male ones, it feels a bit depressing that these two women spent the whole book being pretty underutilised, only to just be dismissed offscreen
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I would've without a doubt not killed Lord Eldus. He was too good a character too have succumbed to such a fate.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I'm a happily-ever-after kind of person, so I'd have kept Lord Eldus alive and let the town of Hillport prosper under his influence. And if I couldn't do that, I'd have at least minimised the amount of death that happens.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

If I could change one thing, I would prevent Lord Eldus from dying in this first installment. I got so attached to his character and I was really upset and disappointed to see him go so quickly. He was everything you could ever want in a politician - he was kind, considerate, and fair. He really tried to make a difference in Hillport.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Krista Ash wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 20:12 Galen appears to be the main character of the series, so if I were allowed to change something, I would give a bit more attention on Galen and his character development. He's too perfect as is. He's generous and grateful to everyone. I wish he was a more interesting character. Other characters are a bit better: Rowan has some spunk, Meldorath is a good guy gone bad... I just find pretty much every other character more interesting than Galen.
I absolutely agree with this. Tysz did a great job creating interesting and unique characters, but seemed to fall short with Galen. Protagonists who have a flaw are more relatable and also make for better storytelling.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”