Prince Darius

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: Prince Darius

Post by Sou Hi »

zainherb wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 04:48
Sou Hi wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 22:56
Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 10:53 Prince Darius is really irrelevant. First of all, he acts and speaks like an ordinary teenager from our time and not some medieval era :) Maybe he's shown that way to indicate that Mianora is very useless too, since he spends much time with them... Hope for his further development tho.
Does he not remind you of Braden Hale from Tysz's other series :D? Anyway, I think Darius is actually an interesting character, even though he acts like a rebellious teenager. He was the first and only one (asides from Galen) who dared to face an unknown monster for his daddy. And while he was not very friendly with Maido, he still tried to save the man's life.
Now that you mention it Sou, I see the similarities. They are quite alike indeed.

Darius is an interesting character and quite surprising too.
Anyway, he gets a bit more development in later books.
Yes, I think he's an interesting character with mysterious intentions. He feels like someone whose speeches and actions don't align sometimes (Like despite his spiteful words, he has great respect for his sister). Unfortunately, while he has some developments in the sequels, he's still a minor character.
Neverlandgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neverlandgirl.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Neverlandgirl »

Really good question, made me think about his character. You do make a really good point that he is a bit more contemporary than the time period suggests. I think his character was necessary though to show Midius Maido's true intentions, and it showed that even though Voulhire is supposed to be peaceful, family conflicts still exist.

Great question again!
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think it's purposeful that he doesn't seem to fit into the book. He seems like a right prick and I think that represents the change happening within Voulhire, right under the King's nose!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

Prince Darius is your typical arrogant and privileged young prince. I have a feeling if he inherits the throne from his father Midius Maido will stick to him like white on rice.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I wonder if he was purposefully written to seem out of place and awkward. It makes him more unlikeable and seemingly less suitable for the throne. I suspect this is a setup for his father truly not wanting him to take the throne as Maido suspects.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

He seems spoilt. He has been living a lucky life. I don't think he's going to be important? I think he cares for himself only. There's a possibility he will change, but I don't see that coming anytime soon.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Prince Darius is an odd character. He does not behave like a son of a King. He is lazy and embarrassed his father. However, he is a significant character because through him, we are able to understand Mianora.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Prince Darius is an odd character. He does not act like how a prince is expected to. However, he is a significant character. This is because through him, we are able to understand Mianora.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:21 Although he was a secondary character, I couldn't help but feel that prince Darius was an awkward character; his character didn't seem to fit into the background of the Voulhire story. Besides his unusual lack of interest in the throne, his manner of speaking, and his sport of preference, jogging, seemed too contemporary for the time this book is supposedly set in. What do you think of His character?
Regarding his untimely attitude, I also didn't appreciate that there are customs belonging in a different period but are used in this book, assuming the book's established period from our observance. As the heir of the King's throne, he have so much potential to influence the flow of the story. But, he isn't significant so far. I hope that the author could make use of Darius' status.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

Lolz , I totally agree with you on this subject. Who jogs in such a time described in this book. However it is common that most people born into royalty usually seek for a normal life life unless he would develop interest in the throne later.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:21 Although he was a secondary character, I couldn't help but feel that prince Darius was an awkward character; his character didn't seem to fit into the background of the Voulhire story. Besides his unusual lack of interest in the throne, his manner of speaking, and his sport of preference, jogging, seemed too contemporary for the time this book is supposedly set in. What do you think of His character?
I think Prince Darius isn't an irrelevant character in the novel despite his diverse demeanor but is a predominant character in the novel that has a significant role to play in the rise of Hillport again in honor of his Fathers name Lord Eldus.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

He did seem out of place in the fantasy world. I wasn’t really fond of him but I’m hoping that his character will become more likeable since there’s a chance for development with him being the heir.
“Just keep swimming.”
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

Darius seems like a selfish character. He is only interested in what pleases him. Perhaps that's how he found out about jogging
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Well, Prince Darius mat me a secondary character in the first part of this novel but I believe a story is yet to be told about prince Darius and I believe he would fit in as a primary in the next edition of Voulhire.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I feel like the author wrote Darius the way he did so he could build up his charcter in subsequent books. You are right though his speech was too modern for the medieval setting.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”