The book involves only a few female characters: Is it justified?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Re: The book involves only a few female characters: Is it justified?

Post by glubglub200 »

I think that if the book doesn't need the use of more female characters to be a good book then it's alright. Also it is the medieval times so it makes the book more realistic. Adding in a bunch of random female characters just to make some people more happy isn't a good reason to put them in.
Samana95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samana95.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Samana95 »

The author may have his reason for not having female characters that have main roles. It could be because of the world setting. Whatever the reason, maybe in the other books the females will have more crucial roles.
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

I don't feel that this story value is reduced by lack of female representation. As I understand it, the author has strong female characters in later books of the series, though.
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
Sirrah Tahir
Favorite Author: Lewis Kempfer
Favorite Book: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 179884

Post by Sirrah Tahir »

Well I believe that if the author of the story is one who knows how to deal with the perfection then it doesn't matter either the main character of story is male or female or the other female characters are less then male. The real beauty of a perfect novel is that it must mesmerize the audience give them feel that they are actually the part of the story and they are living in it.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

I had the very same thought, but I dismissed it because I really think all the sexes used were better suited to the roles. The story is good as it is, and Beth was enough feminine representation.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I also love strong female characters, but I don't think that this should be a problem here. I say so because subsequent instalments of the book, I think from book three or four, there were lead female characters, one of which is the king's daughter.
Primetjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primetjay.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Primetjay »

aaurba wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 19:11
rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 06:40 Even though the book hasn't portryaed any female leads, the series does so down the line. And their characters are crucial for most of the pivotal scenes in the series. This book is just an introduction to the 9-book fantasy. So, I wouldn't worry about it much right now!
Yeah, that could be another reason. World building is extremely important in fantasy books, so it is imperative that the first book does a good job at it. Hopefully, we'd see a varied female personalities in the next books.
Yeah I also noticed the absence of much female characters.. but I chose to see it from a different perspective.. in subsequent series of the book I believe more female characters will emerge, maybe when the world must have been built to a great extent
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

raj_nandani_poet wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 09:40 I agree with your point. However, there are female characters introduced further in the series who prove to be crucial to the story at hand.

They are not just damsels in distress but capable women warriors who help out our protagonists a lot. You will notice variety of female leads changing the course of the story.
It's good to know that the female characters included in later books aren't the stereotypical damsels in distress. Thank you for informing me of this! It made me want to read the sequels of the first book more!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I found only two featured women who had significant contributions to the storyline. Beth and Beverly. The rest were there as mere "accessories" like Charlotte, the wife of Lord Eldus. I would assume that a lot of women play significant roles in kingdoms but not in this book I guess.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Rodel Barnachea

glubglub200 wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 14:00 I think that if the book doesn't need the use of more female characters to be a good book then it's alright. Also it is the medieval times so it makes the book more realistic. Adding in a bunch of random female characters just to make some people more happy isn't a good reason to put them in.
Yeah, if the author were to add more female characters, those characters shouldn't be just there for mere female representation. He has to give them realistic backstories and characteristics. FORTUNATELY, the sequels of this book will provide some intriguing female characters that has a huge impact in the story's plot.
Reitumetse_R
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-r.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Reitumetse_R »

When people think of writing anything that has to do with evil, they turn to forget about females. If they were involved, I wouldn't be surprised if they were somewhere in the church scenes.
Alya17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alya17.html
Latest Review: Rebecca's Adventure by Diana Johnson Narod

Post by Alya17 »

I had that same reaction initially because these days strong female characters are a must. But then I thought that authors shouldn't include characters just to tick off boxes. I enjoyed Beth's character though, and I'm sure that the series will include more women. Even though medieval settings show women in subservient roles or roles without power, I think medieval books today depict the numerous ways they can be used. A Song of Ice and Fire is such a series where they portray women as prostitutes, in royalty, as slaves or spies and even warriors.
Ivana Komel
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-komel.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ivana Komel »

The important female characters are introduced later in the series, so I think in the first book the author did right thing to present us only with main male characters.
Rodel Barnachea

Alya17 wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 12:25 I had that same reaction initially because these days strong female characters are a must. But then I thought that authors shouldn't include characters just to tick off boxes. I enjoyed Beth's character though, and I'm sure that the series will include more women. Even though medieval settings show women in subservient roles or roles without power, I think medieval books today depict the numerous ways they can be used. A Song of Ice and Fire is such a series where they portray women as prostitutes, in royalty, as slaves or spies and even warriors.
Yes, I totally agree with you! I also noticed in some books, films, and tv shows that the writers only include strong female characters just so they won't be called "sexist." I do think that A Song of Ice and Fire, while portraying some strong, independent women, still relies on some stereotypes. I didn't really "enjoy" reading about Beth since I think more of her as an entity from the Caromentis instead of a female person.
Folcro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Folcro »

Beth identifies as a woman. She would be highly offended to be referred to as an "entity." :)

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”