The book involves only a few female characters: Is it justified?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Re: The book involves only a few female characters: Is it justified?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Folcro wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 00:30 Beth identifies as a woman. She would be highly offended to be referred to as an "entity." :)
Thank you for clarifying this! I also want to ask, do entities in Caromentis have genders? Is my question answered in later books?
Folcro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Folcro »

aaurba wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 05:27
Folcro wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 00:30 Beth identifies as a woman. She would be highly offended to be referred to as an "entity." :)
Thank you for clarifying this! I also want to ask, do entities in Caromentis have genders? Is my question answered in later books?
You become one with your spirit in the spiritual world, but you still have a spirit no matter where you are. You become one with your physical body (and therefore your gender) in the physical world, but you have a body no matter where you go.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 10:27 Beth's character is very interesting, in my opinion :) Also, let us not forget about the Lord Eldus' housekeeper. She is very intriguing. She holds all the keys and knows all the secrets. Also, she would close her eyes to many evil things just to survive. She is quite memorable.
I agree with you, Lord Eldus housekeeper seems to command respect even from Meldorath himself. I also think Beth would play a vital role in this book in further series.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Maybe the author felt the book would be more interesting if there were less female characters to spice up the book.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I wasn't really bothered by the lack of important female characters, I mean it didn't diminish my overall enjoyment of the book, but it was something I noticed and wondered about. I have only read the first book of the series and based on reviews of the sequels, a few female leads will be introduced later on.
Kolisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kolisa.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Kolisa »

I also felt the lack of female characters was unjustified even considering the time of setting of the book. I hear there is hope in books to come which is much of a relief. They get involved and play crucial parts later.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I totally agree with you. I don't think I really noticed it at first while reading, but after reading your post, you are right. I didn't actually enjoy the book as I didn't think it had much depth, but I think more exploration into women would have totally helped the book. I felt the book was dull, and personally I think more strong and interesting female characters would have been more engaging.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

To be honest, I was so immersed in the story that I did not even notice the lack of representation for my gender. I felt that every character that was present was paramount to the story - that is, there were no superfluous characters. There was no need to add more female characters at this point, especially not just for the sake of adding them. I am sure in the books that follow, necessary female characters will arise.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

aaurba wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:08 When I was reading the book, I noticed that there are no major female characters involved in the storyline. The protagonist, the protagonist's friends, Voulhire's leader, Riva Rohavi's leader, Hillport's leader, and the magical antagonist are all males. Many people say that given the book's medieval setting, it is only common that the book also follows medieval norms: decreased roles for women and bigger roles for men.

What is your opinion on this? Does the above explanation completely justify the book's lack of female main characters?
When I was reading the book, I was very disappointed that most major characters were males. I guess the fact that the book is set in medieval times justifies this. However, I would love to see a well-developed and strong female character who plays an important part in the story. I hope that the next books will have strong female characters involved in the storyline.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

Guete Zuelo wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 18:34 I noticed it too! The book is great. It has a great world-building but that aspect was such a huge downer for me. Though the book was set to a time where men are to have bigger roles than women, historically this does not stop women from being great! I think it's a failure on the author's part. Beth and the wife of the lord of Hillport isn't enough to do justice.
I fully agree with you. The author failed to include strong female characters that played an important part in the story. The book would be much more interesting and appealing if it featured more female characters.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Kolisa wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 04:12 I also felt the lack of female characters was unjustified even considering the time of setting of the book. I hear there is hope in books to come which is much of a relief. They get involved and play crucial parts later.
This issue is indeed a pertinent matter in these times. As much as the female gender has to represented in media (especially novels), it has to be done truly and appropriately. I believe it should definitely be considered and feel natural.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
cydnas
Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by cydnas »

I suppose it isn't justified but I'm sure the amount of female characters will slowly increase throughout the series. So, us readers will have something to look forward to.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think the description does justify the lack of women characters. However, I think the author could improve on that. It would be refreshing to see a lady character who plays a key role in the story.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I will not wory about this book not having major female characters it is perfectly authored that way. In presence of war and violence it is better for male to be on the far front
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Not only there are no female leads, but other female characters are sexualized. Probably about the time in history, but also, I think it portrays the harshness of that world.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”