Abrupt Ending!

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Abrupt Ending!

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

What can you say about the swift death of a man with a wholesome character in this novel? Like for example in the new Lord of Hillport. I'm still hanging why a good man died without anything in defense in this book. It seems not fair.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Keep reading the series. You will soon understand that there are dark undertones throughout the books in the series. Moreover, the death of family of the lord of Hillport is important for the character development of his son, Marshus Alderman.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I too was very shocked at Lord Eldus' death. The man had so much potential, and plans for Hillport; apparently, he was but a lone thread in the tapestry of Voulhire. It didn't seem fair that he should die, but I guess it's an already established fact that life is not fair.
Live and let live, baby.
ankit252
Currently Reading: Unhappy Warrior: the Life and Death of Robert S. Starobin
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankit252.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by ankit252 »

Alderman's death reminded me of Ned Stark's in "A Game of Thrones". Good men killed by politics they did not foresee. It was sad and unfair.
But realistically, it is possible for good men to perish under dangerous politics and wars. Meldorath's arrest had made Hillport weaker. Aldus thought Meldorath was the only threat. He did not know of Riva's advances. Maido neither warned, nor helped him. And Riva took advantage of that.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

jeminah28 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 02:25 What can you say about the swift death of a man with a wholesome character in this novel? Like for example in the new Lord of Hillport. I'm still hanging why a good man died without anything in defense in this book. It seems not fair.
Completely agree with you. I believe, the author uses Lord Eldus' death to show the evil nature of Riva Rohavi. He's an innocent victim of someone else's evil will, and it's really unfair. That ending left me quite shocked, frankly speaking.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Of course it's not fair, but Lord Eldus' death is part of the grand plan by Lord Meldorath and his companions. His fate makes sense as you read the next book in the sequel. The necessity of all and the importance of Hillport becomes clear in the next read. So in the end, the book's conclusion is just right.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

ankit252 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:19 Alderman's death reminded me of Ned Stark's in "A Game of Thrones". Good men killed by politics they did not foresee. It was sad and unfair.
But realistically, it is possible for good men to perish under dangerous politics and wars. Meldorath's arrest had made Hillport weaker. Aldus thought Meldorath was the only threat. He did not know of Riva's advances. Maido neither warned, nor helped him. And Riva took advantage of that.
Owww, yeah. I just remembered Ned Stark (my good man). Both men share the same sad fate; all odd were working against them. But I believe their deaths served as a motivation to their children (child).
Live and let live, baby.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Yes, if we read just the first book, Eldus' death is quite distressful. I was thinking he would be one of the two main characters, but the ending proved me wrong. However, the sequels revealed that good men tend to die soon in Tysz's books :D.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 05:32 Keep reading the series. You will soon understand that there are dark undertones throughout the books in the series. Moreover, the death of family of the lord of Hillport is important for the character development of his son, Marshus Alderman.
I'm curious where these "dark undertones" will lead. It almost seems like Hillport is curse: Orlin turns from a good lord to a perverse one, Eldus also starts good but starts being influenced by Meldorath... or maybe it's just Meldorath's presence. While Eldus's death might be important for his son's character development, I don't think that's really a good reason to kill a character, although it is a good use of a character's death.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I agree. The book as setting the stage for a strong framework and solid characters, but I still think the book should have some subplot with closure. Even if it was to show Galen experienced some success as a blacksmith. That was what I disliked most about the book. When a series does not have books that stand alone, eventually, I feel as if I am being taken for granted.
~ Valerie
martinaunwagu
Favorite Book: 2612 Cherryhill Lane
Currently Reading: The Raven's Trail (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martinaunwagu.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by martinaunwagu »

I found the death of Eldus Alderman the new Lord of Hillport unfair. He had a brief rule even though he had great plans for Hillport and that for me was sad. I believe is life was too brief.
Marloo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marloo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marloo »

I was really sad when the Lord of Hillport died; I was rooting for him. Non the less, I actually liked this kind of ending. It sparked my curiosity for the next book(s) since I didn’t get the satisfaction of an ending I wanted! I just started the second book so I’m going to see what happens!
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

While it is sad when a great character dies, it is part of reality that sometimes good people die rather suddenly. I think it is the same for Eldus, and while I am sad to see him go, I think it adds to the realism of the story, especially with all the dark forces gathering around Voulhire.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Well life isnt fair. This book remined me of "game of thrones"... if you like someone chances are they are gonna die... But I actually like that mentality very much, it makes it realistic, nothing in life is ever fair.
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

Although the death of Lord Eldus seems cruel and unfair since all the man wanted to do was help the town of Hillport, the author will most definitely use this in the plot of later books. This series seems to have lots of characters that do not survive longer than one book, and Lord Eldus is no exception. However, we must remember that Lord Eldus' son, Marshus, is still alive. Even though the lord himself is dead, a small part of him will live on in his son, who will most certainly show up in later books.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”