(Least) Favourite Character

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Re: (Least) Favourite Character

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I'm not sure how I like the least. I wasn't too much of a fan when it came to the King's POV. But I don't really dislike anybody. They all have a purpose and keep me entertained.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
caina3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caina3.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by caina3 »

I must say that from the start Midius Maido rubbed me the wrong way. He is the type of person I find disgusting. His personality is highly manipulative and always needs attention. He behaves one way in front of all the rich people celebrating after the parade and another way while in the chancellor meeting discussing the Riva Rohavi. He is a man of different appearances and mean-spirited. I do think he was written like that on purpose to add a level of suspicion to the story. He serves as another enemy to the king providing another layer for the reader to consider when contemplating who are all the people involved in all the bad happenings, why they are involved, and what does this particular character stand to gain? I think the character was written well, hence why I despise him so much.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I liked Lord Eldus because he was a man with a vision. He had great plans for Hillport. I was very disappointed when he was killed because I felt that he had the capability of taking Hillport to a greater place economically.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 02:13 Tysz has developed so many stunning characters in this short first episode. Each one has great depth and is given the attention they deserve. Was there a specific character that you connected with and would say is your favourite? Or, on the other hand, was there a character that you absolutely hated? Do you think the character was intentionally written that way so that we would love/hate them? :techie-studyinggray:
Galen have my deepest admiration. His manners are very admirable and his meekness came as adorable to me. On the other hand, my most hated character is Midius Maido. He haven't so far performed any beautiful deed that hints his humanity (from what I remember). Certainly, his makeup was intentionally written since I have high trust that he is designed to be a villain.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I guess I'm quite easy to figure out. I like the main characters and hate the villains. That said, I liked Galen the most. On the other hand, the more I got to know about Lord Meldorath, the less I liked him. He's the reason for so much death and that's the worst of his plots. No matter what his goals are, the end does not always justify the means.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Honestly, I found Rowan a little annoying, he was still well-characterised, but he seems like one of those people you know in real life who can be so grating. He did feel a little too modern sometimes in his behaviour as well. As for favourite character, it's hard to pick a favourite, everyone was well-defined but nobody has really had the chance to develop much yet. Demetrius definitely stands out though!
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

One character I absolutely despised was chancellor Maido. He is entitled, grooss, vulgar and all over a selfish person.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

I respect Meldorath. He seems like a man of principle. King Wilhelm on the other hand, is just lying to his people. I wonder what they'd think of that when they eventually find out. For a man who has ruled for a long time, he should know better.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I would say my least favorite character is King Welheim and his chancellors, while reading this novel, their plot was tedious in my opinion and it made me feel reluctant sometimes to read it.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I didn't like Midius Maido something about him rubbed me the wrong way, not to mention his delayed decision to send his soldiers coasted people their lives.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

I can't seem to think of one except perhaps the old man. He was kinda creepy and using his powers on the innocent.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

My least favorite one was Beth. I found her chapters too slow. Especially, her first chapter. The style changes so much that it was a big contrast. It's the only chapter I had to stop (a couple of times) reading.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”