We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies: Alternating Points of view

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Marty_Kelly wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 01:39 Most of the story is told in the third-person point of view with the chapters alternating between different characters. Did you like this style? Do you think it added extra depth to the story?

I love the author's style of writing, it helps the reader understand his concept in a more defined way. The third-person perspective for writing the novel was the most suitable in my own opinion.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Well, I like the author's style of this novel and I believe telling the story in a third-person perspective is the right decision made by the author. It would have been hard to comprehend the novel if it was told in the first-person perspective. Like the story of Galen and Meldorath who didn't meet in the context of the novel. I believe the novel would be incomplete if it was told in the first-person perspective.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I like alternating between characters' points of view. It always helps me understand the characters better, and makes me enjoy the book more. Not to mention it's the best way to have a favourite character. I think if the author hasn't altered the points of view, I wouldn't have found the monk Demetrius an interesting character. He would have been a closed mysterious character to me.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

Initially, I was confused by the author’s use of first person and third person point of view, but it developed the story rather than hindered it. As we got to see things in different perspectives, the world was easier to understand.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Miranda Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miranda-alex.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Miranda Alex »

The novel was a masterful blending of first-person and third-person perspectives. When the chapter for one character concludes and the next character assumes the former character's role, the plot switches nicely. I found it to be wonderful.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”