Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Does Galen Deserve to Be the Main Character?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Is Galen fit for the position of the main character? Does the author use him to explore Voulhire to its depth? Can you attribute his character traits to the overall rating of the story, or does he tamper with its flow? Could a change in his characterization have caused a switch of the author's tone?
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

I think the first book doesnt portray Galen as much of a main characters. I felt like he was just one among the important protagonists of the story. No, I cant actually portray his character traits to the overall rating of the story. I think the character traits of the people he comes in contact with in Voulhire plays that major role.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I think Galen is 'fit' for the position of the main character; he has an intriguing backstory, a naive but a teachable mind, a determination that keeps him and the readers pressing on (to find his purpose), and a likable personality.
And yes, the author uses him to explore Voulhire's depth and width; it is through Galen's awed eyes that readers get to see Voulhire. This refugee point of view is what makes Voulhire really charming and beautiful, even to the readers. I bet Rowan doesn't find Voulhire as amazing as Galen finds it.
Surely, his character that, like that of other main characters, influences the story as well as its rating. And, a change in his characterization would have caused a switch in the author's tone just as a change in the alternating points of view (a prevalent technique employed in this book) caused a change in the author's flow.
Live and let live, baby.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe that Galen is righteously the main character, because he's a newcomer to Voulhire, and so are we, the readers. We follow the main events through his eyes, and we see the kingdom for the first time from his perspective as well. In this case, his experience is quite priceless to get to know Voulhire better. :)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

In this first book of the series he seems indeed the one picked for us to explore Voulhire. I haven't read the sequels yet, so I don't know if the author's choice changed, but at least for this introduction I think it works.
Ciao :)
Massimo
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:38 I think Galen is 'fit' for the position of the main character; he has an intriguing backstory, a naive but a teachable mind, a determination that keeps him and the readers pressing on (to find his purpose), and a likable personality.
And yes, the author uses him to explore Voulhire's depth and width; it is through Galen's awed eyes that readers get to see Voulhire. This refugee point of view is what makes Voulhire really charming and beautiful, even to the readers. I bet Rowan doesn't find Voulhire as amazing as Galen finds it.
Surely, his character that, like that of other main characters, influences the story as well as its rating. And, a change in his characterization would have caused a switch in the author's tone just as a change in the alternating points of view (a prevalent technique employed in this book) caused a change in the author's flow.
You are right, but think of the case if he never met Rowan and never got the chance to go to Alcovia or Soulhire. Think of his meetings with the people around him who made most of his decisions. I am a bit skewed to that side and would suggest that he was just one among the few protagonists of the book.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

I felt that Galen is a character that is a bit bland for a protagonist. I like Rowan and even King Wilhem a bit more because I felt that Galen did not have a backbone. However, I think that throughout the rest of the series readers can see some character development.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Galen is just the perfect protagonist for the story. Although the author did not fully unveil his part in the overall plot in the first book, it becomes clearer why he did that in subsequent books.
Wayne wayne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-wayne.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Wayne wayne »

I think Galen is the perfect fit for the main character. He gives the reader a break from the nobles and the lords. Through him, the author provides finer details on the plight of refugees and small business owners in Voulhire. I also find it interesting that Galen's story is narrated in first person.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Well, on my review, I mentioned that i didn't see Galen as a strong protagonist because he was like a baby, vulnerable and seems easy to control. That's how I saw him. But, perhaps, it is early to judge Galen's character. We might see his full potential on the succeeding books.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Since this is the first book in the series I think Galen fits as the main character. He is exploring this new land as are we so it is a time of getting to know and understand him better, as well as a time to discover the ebb and flow of this society. Hopefully he will expand as the story does in the next book!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 11:46
AnnOgochukwu wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:38 I think Galen is 'fit' for the position of the main character; he has an intriguing backstory, a naive but a teachable mind, a determination that keeps him and the readers pressing on (to find his purpose), and a likable personality.
You are right, but think of the case if he never met Rowan and never got the chance to go to Alcovia or Soulhire. Think of his meetings with the people around him who made most of his decisions. I am a bit skewed to that side and would suggest that he was just one among the few protagonists of the book.
Truly, Galen is one among the few protagonists in the story. He probably would have been a bland character without Rowan and Demi, or he might have landed himself in the company of bad guys like Maido or Meldorath 😉 (what do you think about this). Either way, the author has chosen the character of Galen as protagonist, and protagonist he shall remain.
Live and let live, baby.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Hm, since we are introduced to Voulhire through Galen's eyes, it's his journey that we are following. Rowan and Demetrius also appear because of their relationships with him. So, I can say he is indeed the main character among a few more main characters. He is like the protagonist, while the others are deuteragonists.
rahilshajahan

Post by rahilshajahan »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 14:40
rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 11:46
Truly, Galen is one among the few protagonists in the story. He probably would have been a bland character without Rowan and Demi, or he might have landed himself in the company of bad guys like Maido or Meldorath 😉 (what do you think about this). Either way, the author has chosen the character of Galen as protagonist, and protagonist he shall remain.
Oh boy! Thats actually a topic in itself. Had a naive Galen fallen into the hands of Meldorath, how would the story unfold? Unlike Beth, I don't think Galen would immediately become subserviant to Meldorath. Galen was starving for friends. I think his friendship with Meldorath will be shortlived.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 00:28 Is Galen fit for the position of the main character? Does the author use him to explore Voulhire to its depth? Can you attribute his character traits to the overall rating of the story, or does he tamper with its flow? Could a change in his characterization have caused a switch of the author's tone?
I think Galen is the best character to see Voulhire through. His newness to the place is advantageous for us readers who are also new to this world, but with wonderful contrast because of his difficult background. Most readers view fantasy as an escape, but to Galen, the fantastical country of Voulhire was an actual escape from a much worse existence. He is naive, but still intelligent. He seems separate from Voulhire, or most places really. As an unadulterated character in a land full of temptation, vice and so much potential, he gets to discover who he really is outside of his previous kill-or-be-killed existence. As a result, he brings out both his own depth and that of Voulhire.

I think his personality affects the ratings positively, because he's a guy who's just so easy to root for, especially when put together with Rowan and Demetrius.

A change in his characterisation would definitely have caused a switch in the tone, because of all the characters, he is the only one who, like the reader, sees the awe and novelty of Voulhire. In the hands of any other character, Voulhire is just another place filled with all sorts of people (mostly bad ones too).
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”