Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
EssyW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyw.html
Latest Review: Was Jesus a Liberal or a Conservative? by Dan van der Wolf

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Post by EssyW »

ankit252 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 07:09 This book gripped me from the beginning. The build up was slow. But Tysz switched between different characters, showing different perspectives. The style of narration was new for me. I had a feeling that Galen was the sole narrator who recorded works of others (although after reading other books in the series, this is probably not the case).
I loved the air of mystery and subtle hints that something was not going right. The only issue I had with this book was that Galen and his friends had no part in the big picture, and also the fact that it ended too quickly. But as a series-starter, the book set an intriguing premise. I gave it 4 stars on my review.
The subtitles that the author included at the top of each chapter were helpful, in my opinion. They assisted a reader in knowing which character(s) were under discussion. That said, I concur that the writing technique was not only new for me as well, but also an exceptional one.
EssyW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyw.html
Latest Review: Was Jesus a Liberal or a Conservative? by Dan van der Wolf

Post by EssyW »

aaurba wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 04:46 I gave this book a perfect rating. It was professionally edited, and I had only one issue with it. I didn't like the fact that Galen only had little to no effect in the major conflict; however, it is understandable since the book this serves as an introduction to the series and focuses on world-building and character development. I also extremely enjoyed reading the first few pages of the novel. The beginning is entrancing. I am extremely awed by the author's captivating writing.
I'm still astonished how quite a number of people termed the book "professionally edited"; yet, I personally detected more that eight grammatical errors. Nevertheless, I concur with the fact that the introduction part of the publication was captivating.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I admire how writers analogize our society in their writing. Matthew Tysz, in the first installment, introduces Voulhire, which I believe was one of the priorities. Despite it being an advancing dynasty compared to other kingdoms, it still faces common challenges that affect any society.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

I read the book and found it super interesting.
It takes us on a thrilling fantasy world and keeps us hooked until the end, so I have given the book full rating.
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

I am currently reading this book and I love the zeal of the new lord of Hillport and his family. Rowan is an interesting character. I will definitely rate this book 4 out of 4. If you love interesting books with a mix of magic, politics and war, pick this book.
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

Matthew Tysz's We Are Voulhire is a fantastic series. A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book of this series. I have already read and reviewed the first three books and I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. To say the least, the author did a wonderful job in keeping the readers interested, not just in this book but also the entire series, which is a difficult task to accomplish.

We are introduced to this world of magic and fantasy through the protagonist Galen Bray. Watching Galen learn his way around the magnificent and terrifying kingdom of Voulhire was beautiful. The king facing internal and external conflicts, a mage named Meldorath, his dark past, and the confusing magical world of Caromentis kept me hooked to this story. Amidst this, Galen and his two new friends brought a much needed comic relief.

Tysz did a great job with his clean and simple writing style. This book was a thriller and am definitely recommending it to everyone!
Rie_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rie-reader.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Rie_reader »

I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. I wanted to give it perfect 4 stars. But I can't because I found some errors. Changing viewpoints made me confuse. Anyway, the book is good. Recommend it very much!
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I loved this book and I find the whole series intriguing. What I enjoyed the most was the author's imagination. I am astonished by his world building abilities. He built a country established in its culture, science and technology, politics and religion. I also enjoyed his character and plot development. His characters were multi-dimensional and varied in personality. I gave the book a perfect star rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it was very deserving of it.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
I liked most the story line and unique imagination of the author. There is nothing that I disliked about this book and I will recommend this book to all of them who enjoys reading thrill, adventurous fiction books.
I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s unique and descriptive writing style. His artistic description of the skies and sunsets are esquisitely captivating.

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

I noticed there was an enormous amount of character introductions and felt that it could be overwhelming for some people, but I realize that it is necessary for the long term readers of the series of books.

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

I absolutely loved reading the book and would like to give it 4 out of 4 stars. It was definitely something unique, something different from the usual fiction books. I cannot wait to read the next book of the sequel!
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
duskdawn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by duskdawn09 »

The start was definitely quite engaging, however I did not find the ending to be very satisfying. I only wish that there were a bit more detail at certain areas...
ryanbowmercy
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryanbowmercy.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by ryanbowmercy »

this book as an introduction kept me at the edge of my seat. The plot and characters shows that Matthew is really a master at narration and has control over the story. It's definitely not a fairy tale so the bloodshed, rape and other horrors are to be expected. looking forward to read more.
duskdawn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by duskdawn09 »

I often find myself reading sci-fi books nowadays, I think this might be the best sci-fi novel that I had the pleasure of reading all month. The overall aesthetic of the chapters matched so well with the characters. I may have to read this again some day!
~Dawn :tiphat: ~

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”