Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Post by Reader Chavez »

I recently read this book and I'm looking forward to reading the next ones in the series. I liked the characters very much. The way each chapter is seen from a different person perspective is also something I enjoyed very much because of the depth that you can get from each character.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I loved reading it and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. I loved how easy it was to get immersed in the worldbuilding and it was surprisingly easy to keep track of all the names and concepts that came up. It was a brisk read as well which I appreciated, fantasy can often be very long-winded and sometimes that just gets tedious. It feels like this first book could have gone on a little longer though, but I'd recommend it to anyone, I'm really looking forward to reading the second book
Jessica Dickens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-dickens.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jessica Dickens »

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars, what I found the most impressive aspects of this novel is the incredible world-building and how the author has beautifully mapped out the country of Voulhire, and also how each character has an in-depth description. What I did not like about this book was that I couldn’t find any actual plot development until the later part of the novel and even then, the plot was never made fully clear.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I read this book and gave it 3 out of 4 stars. The plot and its characters are very well crafted but I deducted one point because Gale, the supposed main character, doesn't get much screen time to say.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

I just finished reviewing this book, and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. The book was a little slow, but that was to be expected, because the purpose of the book was setting up the stage for this series. I loved how the scenes are interconnected. When Galen and his friends saw the caravan that was Riva near Hillport, and thought nothing of it and moved on, I loved that scene. Because it was such a crucial scene for Hillport, but it meant nothing to Galen. And immediately after Caromentis is mentioned, Rowan is seen explaining Galen about it, and it comes off as natural because Galen doesn't know much about Voulhire. These little things really made the book fun for me. Though I didn't like how after so many scenes of trying to give depth to all characters of the Alderman family, they are killed off in such a rush. I do think I'll read the other books in the series to know what happens next.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I read this book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I was impressed by how Matthew Tysz was able to tell the story from different characters' perspectives and yet make us look forward to each one of them. He pulled it off perfectly. I only hope that we are given more information about magic in the second book.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story was entertaining and the characters were well-developed. I liked the world-building and multifaceted personalities of the characters the most. I disliked the violence most. But I would still recommend it to people who enjoy fantasy and science fiction stories.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is a science fiction novel. The plotline is flawless, and character development is evident throughout. I applaud Beth's fascinating character. Also of note is Lord Eldus' housekeeper, who is quite intriguing. I recall her having all the locks and knowing all the private details. In addition, she would hold her breath to several terrible acts in order to thrive, what a great role. Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is a masterpiece.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

This book deserved a full rating. The book is filled with great descriptions of the cities of the kingdom of Voulhire. The book ends on a cliffhanger to keep the readers interested in the next book of the series. The book is set in a historic time. But some words in it seem very modern and not suitable to the narrative. However, this did not hinder my reading experience. I was satisfied with the way the book turned out.
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It truly is one of my favorites at the moment. I enjoyed the story and the whole world that the author created. I enjoyed the fact that you could see the humanity within certain people and the fact that the story is not overpowered with magic. I rate it a 4 out of 4
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Overall I gave this work a 2 out of 4 stars rating. Tysz did a great job describing the settings, providing details of locations, and giving his characters interesting and varied personalities. But I thought that the book could use another round of edits to rework awkward phrasing, and I also found the lack of meaningful female characters unnecessary and disappointing.
I would still recommend this work to others who like fantasy because the worldbuilding and characters were great, but it wasn't for me.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I like the starting of the book most. How the author creates an intriguing mystery about the Meldorath intention is really amazing. It really keeps a reader on his toes throughout the book. I was eagerly waiting for the Meldorath to appear. The character I liked the most was Beth. She is the first to travel from another world to ours. I'm very excited about her powers. I think she is even more powerful than Meldorath. I don't like the final battle on the island. Its imagination was a little hard, especially in the water column scene. The thing I disliked the most was the use of modern words by the author. Overall I really loved the book. Looking forward to it's other parts.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I read this book earlier and I have to admit, it was spectacular. The author's writing style was easy to understand and flowed smoothly. But I guess the book could have gotten a vocabulary upgrade. Overall, it was an entertaining read. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Rachel Monica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-monica.html
Latest Review: The End of May by Kem Richards

Post by Rachel Monica »

Can I just say that I completely loved the book and the characters and how they all played together forming a perfect storyline?! I was completely involved in the book and could not put it down until I was done with it. I read this book in one sitting. All the povs were excellent and well played and I have absolutely no dislikes regarding this book. Simply loved it! Hats off to the author!
Tabuya Dube
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabuya-dube.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Tabuya Dube »

I just finished this book and I will be giving it a 4 out of 4 stars. The storyline is superb, it set the scene for what is to come. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I can't wait to see how Galen's life unfolds and what his role will be in the bigger picture.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”