Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz.

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I thoroughly enjoyed the fantasy novel and rated it a strong 4 stars. The author paints a beautiful picture with his word and it not hard to imagine the world he describes.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

One of my favorite parts of the book is the friendship that forms between Galen and Rowan. Rowan’s comical and straightforward nature is a very likable character trait in my opinion.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

RKeinath wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 15:49 I rated this a 3 out of 4 stars as there is a great deal of crude humor to it and has some disturbing elements that I did not care for. However, I liked the almost poetic style of writing, the characters, and the overally story just not enough to want to return to it with the other elements that I did not care for.

One of the things I really found interesting about this novel was the back and forth between first and third person to really get the full picture and the full story.
I too gave this book 3 stars. I thought the character development aspect was somewhat lacking in the story. The author does not seem to have have focused more on the central character as well. The switching between first person narration and third person narration was bit of a confuson at the begining, however, I have got used to that eventually.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

I really enjoyed this book as an introduction to the series. I love books that have multiple plots that will eventually all come together in one way or another. I've seen people complaining about the lack of Galen's character development, but that's not the purpose of the first book and there are more books in the series to deal with that. The first book is simply introducing all of the important characters and hinting at the ways in which these people will be connected later on. I, for one, can't wait to see how it pans out.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
Migan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-migan.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Migan »

I found it to be captivating, in terms of the character portrayals and overall story. However, I did not enjoy the overall flow of the story, as the characters were scattered all over the book.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

This was a very lovely read. I very much enjoyed the writing style of Tysz as he dexterously and with great skill wove a fascinating tale portraying the lives of Galen, Rowan and Meldorath. He started off slow, drawing the readers in then suddenly escalated into a fast-paced rhythm that would leave you on the edge of your seat. The book was professionally edited and and I detected no grammatical errors. My only issue with the book was that Galen was portrayed as something of an outside observer looking in at the other two. He had no real effect and was just basically narrating the actions of Rowan and Meldorath. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone!
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

I unquestionably prescribe this book to any individual who is paying special mind to a decent arrangement.
This isn't an independent book, so everything was unquestionably not clarified in this portion, the book closes at a great deal of cliffhangers.
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

4 out 4 for great execution and a great storyline. The characters provided a variety which made for an entertaining read.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I am currently reading this book, and I am rating it 4/4 so far!!! I just love the plot, it is really the sort of book that I enjoy because it has a historical setting, but includes, magic as well. I absolutely cannot put it down!!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
EssyW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyw.html
Latest Review: Was Jesus a Liberal or a Conservative? by Dan van der Wolf

Post by EssyW »

I read this book, and I must agree that it's an ideal book for a broad audience. Nonetheless, the author included the historical toxic masculinity of including violence against women. Consequently, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.
EssyW
Currently Reading:

Post by EssyW »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:14 I think this is an impressive start to the series. I can't give it four stars, though, as I counted more than ten errors. The map can be a shade lighter, too, for better readability. But I hope to follow the series to the end. Cheers, Mr. Tysz!
The fact that Tysz included a map at the beginning of the publication is a plus for me. It highlights the kingdom of Voulhire, together with its subdivisions, giving a reader an insight of what to anticipate before reading the book.
EssyW
Currently Reading:

Post by EssyW »

Aisha_123 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 12:24 I taged this book 4 out of 4 stars. Firstly because I was ultimately glued to its pages. And secondly because I was eager for the next book. I didn't like what happened to the people of Hillport but nevertheless I still enjoyed. Yep, I will definitely recommend. It's too unique, a story.
It was a real tragedy in Hillport; I shed a tear out of pity. However, having read the subsequent pages, I think it was a necessary action so that the tale would culminate to a riveting end.
EssyW
Currently Reading:

Post by EssyW »

Guda LM wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 12:14 I think the book is really interesting and a good blend of historical and science fiction. Galen's journey from a desolate and desperate world to Voulhire is quite touching and it is easy to feel his emotions and joy as he explores the new lands. I love the mystery and power behind Lord Meldorath and his motives. Additionally Galen's two companions are not as forthcoming and also have their own stories to hide. I think this is clever and sets the book up for the next sequel. What I didn't like is how at times the stories disconnected from chapter to chapter, it took some effort to get back to the flow.
I tend to think that this book falls under the fantasy genre, but that's beside the point. In my point of view, Galen's two companions, Rowan and Demetrius,had motives towards accompanying him. Having knowledge that Galen was a former prince, they probably hoped that his royalty would bring them affluence and/or power in Voulhire.
EssyW
Currently Reading:

Post by EssyW »

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 11:54 I loved Matthew Tysz's style of writing very much. He uses changing viewpoints well without making it boring. There wasn't a single viewpoint that made me dislike it. It's an excellent start off to the series I feel. The story progressed slowly but it was pretty interesting. I especially like how the author will combine magical, physical, and other aspects of the world and bring it all together.
However, I gave it a 3 star rating as I found plenty of errors in it. And seeing as not many people found it as such, I'm really lost as to why..........
I appreciated the fact that Matthew Tysz masterfully adapted the first and third points of view. This was necessary in avoiding the monotony associated with reading a tale written using one point of view.
EssyW
Currently Reading:

Post by EssyW »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 09:12 I have read this book and I gave it a full rating. I had issues with the slow-pacing in the beginning, but I found the plot line incredibly promising. The author’s writing style was praise-worthy. The world-building was exceptional. I hardly noticed any significant errors. This book was full of suspense, fantasy, and drama that I thoroughly enjoyed.
It was hard even for me to notice any significant errors due to the remarkable work done by the author, of alternating between the physical and magical worlds. Additionally, the vocabulary employed, and character development was worth-noting.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”