The Ending

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: The Ending

Post by 19blueofficial »

Gabby S14 wrote: 11 May 2021, 16:15
scaryeyes_25 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 20:08 You are right. There is just something a little off
with the ending which I can not pinpoint. Maybe it would be better if Maureen's mother was there. Greater impact than just baking a cake but not being there. But maybe she was sick or something. Or if we knew why she stayed behind with her other daughter at home. Is she sick? Or is she too ashamed of what she did?
I think Maureen's mom just couldn't bring herself to come. She struck me as a very prideful woman, and sometimes that can be an impossible hurdle to jump over, especially for this woman who felt justified in disowning her daughter. She's very selfish and clearly still working through her prejudice, but her making the cake was an amazing first step towards reconciliation. Maybe the ending would have been sweeter if her mom had shown up in person, but I thought it was already very sweet and symbolic.
Maureen's mother had always been prideful. But she tried on her daughter's birthday by making a cake. I don't know why she didn't attend, maybe its because of the pride or the shame. Another thing I thought would happen was Rico getting together with Maureen cause I always see those two hang out a lot and they look cute together. But I still love the book's ending.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the ending was somewhat funny because Kalayla was murmured about Lena's assignment for her. But Lena's past was really surprised me.
Khasheem
Currently Reading: Prince of Fools
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khasheem.html

Post by Khasheem »

For me, a few loose threads left in the ending cemented the authenticity for me. Makes it feel more grounded. If everything was wrapped up in a neat little bow, it would have felt like cheating. Life doesn’t work like that. Although, I still would have liked to see Maureen react with her mother at least once before the book ended.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

I think the ending is satisfactory. A lot of the problems faced by the characters were addressed. Kalayla found family and friends. Maureen reconnected with her family and even reopened her studio. She realized why her husband had always cuddled Clarence. Lena, too, got together with someone who loved her and reconciled with her children. Overall, it was a lovely ending, although I was irritated that Maureen's mother was heartless enough to not see her daughter, but I suppose that just shows what truly happens in life.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

Truly they wrapped up the main issues but the ending was somehow off. It felt like there should have still be something more. It felt incomplete in a way
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I think it ended really well. The author gave the characters the closure they respectively needed. Lena reconciled with her sons, and even rekindled her romance with Mattwo. Maureen had a second chance at love with Rico, her relationship with Kalayla had improved, and she was able to reconcile with her family. Kalayla had a new family and friends, both blood and non-blood.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

I feel the ending was nice and happy. But I do feel everything happened all of a sudden. I would have liked it if it happened at a good pace like Maureen solved her issue with her father.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html

Post by jimmy02 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 11:47 I thought that many main problems were wrapped up by the ending. However, in some ways the ending kind of dropped off. What did you think? Was there information that you would have liked to have been included in the end?
I liked the fact that instead of choosing a typical "grand finale" type ending for this novel, the author choose to gradually unravel the knotted lives of the main characters. Therefore, the ending was perfect for me!

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

No. I'm satisfied with the ending of the story. The resolution was great and my guess for the story was correct. I love the manner the author resolved the conflict in the story in the end. Lena discovered her son's reason of estrangment to her. Kalayla has got what she wanted and discovered from her mom, and Kalayla's mom found her happiness. Such a wonderful story.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I felt that too to some extent. I think, there are even some suspensions the author could build part two of the book. Clarence, Maureen's Mom, Carlotta's life are not fully tied.
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

I think the ending was satisfying to me. Maureen reuniting with her family, Lena changing the way she approached life. I feel like every basis was covered for a satisfying end.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 11:47 I thought that many main problems were wrapped up by the ending. However, in some ways the ending kind of dropped off. What did you think? Was there information that you would have liked to have been included in the end?
I totally agree. I was still busy reading and bam... The end. Although all the characters were sorted so to say, the way it was written I had a feeling there is still something to tell. I don't look at what page I am when reading, unless I note something wrong, but normally to the end of the book you realise while reading the end is close but with this book it was quite abrubt if that's the right word?
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html

Post by Themmie10 »

I actually think the ending is great. Everybody got the closure they seek, and they were all reunited with various families. New relationships were made which makes it more awesome.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

I don't find anything off about the ending, Maureen's mother being absent doesn't matter to me, all that matters was that Maureen found peace with herself. It's her mom's loss to stay at home and not find a way to connect back with her daughter
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Lena's flashbacks are interesting the information I would like to be added or Maureen's grandfather after he found out about Kalayla at least if it was a little bit longer if Maureen's mother will find out about Kalayla also.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”