Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
RajvirxSandhu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajvirxsandhu.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Post by RajvirxSandhu »

As personal view goes I believe Uncle Clarence actions were unforgivable considering what he himself went through as a child with abuse. The way it was portrayed how the massive the trauma was for him as a child and using it to justify and excuse his actions just shows how society back then would still look at it like that rather then the woman who was nearly raped. The way the author portrayed Maureen's reaction and the humbleness was the one thing I strongly disagree with as it was not light trauma but the author portrayed correctly what society back then and even now still believes that women are humble and would not oppose and be more "understanding" in these kinds of situations and those that do not are bad and give negativity view of her character and her family, etc. I believe the author captured the correct view in the book as what society would have done in this case even though I do not agree with it. I would have liked to see more in depth of Kalayla's perspective in this as the author only showed the Maureen and Lena's generational viewpoint as I would have liked to believe that she would have been very against it considering how protective she is of her mother.
Nenkangmun Deshi
Favorite Book: What did you expect
Currently Reading: What did you expect
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenkangmun-deshi.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Nenkangmun Deshi »

I hold the opinion that everyone should have the opportunity to be forgiven while everyone should own up and take responsibility for their actions.
In as much as uncle Clarence should be forgiven, he should take responsibility for his action and accept the consequences of his action.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

I have mixed feelings about Uncle Clarence. While I recognize that childhood trauma had made him vulnerable, and seeing him crumpled in on himself made me feel sorry for him. He should not be allowed to get away with attempted rape. That is a crime separate from his trauma. His not taking responsibility will only encourage him to engage in more deviant behaviour.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I think Clarence should have been forgiven but I think they should have made him pay for his actions. If Lena hadn't stepped in something terrible might have happened which could not be excused just because he got haunted by the trauma from his past. Lena's action triggered his trauma but he would have done done damaged to Mauren assuming Lena didn't show up.
It was clear that Clarence needed medical help but his actions were made with in his right mind.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

Mental health is a very sensitive issue. I think uncle Clarence was just trying to prove to himself that he had grown up and the past was behind him. Although I don't think that's a good enough excuse for rape. But I don't think he had considered the fact that she might reject him and the hurt of seeing her with Rico. I think he should be forgiven, but he needs therapy. Only those that have experience with those kind of trauma can truly judge
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

gnwagu1 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 19:23 Uncle Clarence definitely went too far when he went after Maureen nonconsensually. Should this be forgiven given the trauma he endured as a child? Is his past enough to excuse his actions?
I truly love this discussion topic and it was something I thought about after reading the book. Life is very rarely classified into white and black, and this issue with Clarence definitely rests in the gray area. Personally, I think what happened to him was something really awful and he should have gotten intense psychological help for that. But at the same time, we all get to a certain age where it is inexcusable for us to pin decisions or actions taken as adults on childhood issues. I think Clarence's family went too far in always excusing the things he did and chalking it up to his past experience. The near rape with Maureen wasn't the first of his crimes. It was also implied that he stole things which everyone just swept under the rug. I think his family should help him understand about taking responsibility and the consequences of his actions.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

Clarence had faced a lot of traumatic happenings in his childhood. But it can't be used as an excuse for what he tried to do with Maureen. He tried to molest Maureen in his full sense, so I feel he should not be forgiven
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

He should be forgiven after all it was a sickness he has, he just needs to play far from Jamas family, my opinion.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

gnwagu1 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 19:23 Uncle Clarence definitely went too far when he went after Maureen nonconsensually. Should this be forgiven given the trauma he endured as a child? Is his past enough to excuse his actions?
He obviously has lots of issues and childhood trauma, which I feel he should definitely get help for. However, I don't think he should have gotten away with what he did so easily. Yes, he has issues, but does that excuse attempted rape and continually pursuing his brother's wife? Absolutely not!
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

No, he should not be forgiven because all the time he was not trying to rape Maureen, out of the blue, he finds Maureen alone he tries to rape her, so he knows what he was doing and he should not be forgiven.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

I'll say he overstepped his boundaries there. It sounds wrong chasing after your dead brother's wife, even not too long after he’s dead. It's a lot to take, no trauma should be used as an excuse for that.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Having inner demons doesn't mean one is free to abuse someone else. The abuse wrought upon Clarence by his father during his childhood doesn't mean he should be pursuing Maureen relentless after Jamaal's passing. I didn't like the fact that he has been portrayed as the 'poor' Uncle Clarence despite everything!
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I don't think so. Uncle Clarence is held responsible in his actions since he is a grown man. A grown man has decency and respect for oneself and for others. His past is not an excuse for his present actions. He could have dealt with it as he journeyed to his adulthood. He could have fixed himself. Forgiveness has a gray area. Forgiveness is due for those who deserve it. So, no, Uncle Clarence should not be forgiven.
Bibi Farheen K
Currently Reading: Lore of Light Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibi-farheen-k.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bibi Farheen K »

I think they should send him to therapy. Just because he has a trauma does not give him the right to traumatise other people not exempt him from the consequences of his actions. Even Kalayla, a child, found him suspicious!
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

Yes! because this behavior of him is just a psychiatric problem he encountered because of bullies in his childhood. so it is forgivable!

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”