Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Re: Should Uncle Clarence be forgiven?

Post by Shillah Andeso »

valeriejane wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:27 This was the part of the book, I disagreed with. I felt this was not handled or addressed properly. Attempted rape was minimized and swept under the rug. There were no consequences for Uncle Clarence's actions and he was depicted as poor Uncle Clarence. He is a grown man. What about Maureen?
What is your thought on how this issue could have been handed?
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Shillah Andeso »

kirismy wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 16:12 Uncle Clarence obviously has his issues. However, I don't think his trauma should excuse his actions. I wish that this was addressed more in the book. He should have taken responsibility for his actions and apologized. His entire family excuses his actions because of his trauma, and that just encourages his behavior.
Do you think uncle Clarence used trauma as an excuse for his actions, if so what do you think was the proper thing to do in that situation?
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Shillah Andeso »

MoniqueBatty wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 19:35 I feel that Uncle Clarence should definitely been held accountable, but should also have received professional help. I was also disappointed that Maureen didn’t handle the situation better long before it reached the attempted rape. She should have taken a much firmer stand with him.
Do you think Maureen was tolerating such acts from Uncle Clarence before it escalated to this point?
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Mtibza eM wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 03:44 No, he should not be forgiven. Had Kalayla not came in I don't know what would have happened but I know it would have been worse. That's unforgivable
Don't you think that Uncle Clarence should seek medical help before being judged for what he had done?
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I don't think being traumatized justifies the attempted rape. I would have loved it if the author had written on some kind of punishment for Clearance action. The attempted rape was taken too lightly. I think the greatest show of strength to those who hurt you is the ability to forgive and move on.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

In my opinion, I do not think he should be forgiven. I'm aware he has mental issues that were not properly handled and managed, that does not excuse him from taking responsibility for his actions.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

I definitely don't think that his childhood and past excuse for his actions in the novel. What he did against Maureen, was kind of just hidden after he had committed it, which made me very frustrated. Rape is such a big topic, and is something so many girls/women struggle with. He should have apologized for his actions, or done something despite what he has gone through throughout his life.
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

He should not be forgiven. This aspect of this book wasn't addressed properly. Clarence needed to be dealt with.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

It is Uncle Clarence's past that makes his actions unforgivable. He is not a stranger to violence and his own experience should have been enough to stop him from doing that to Maureen. Maureen will now have her own trauma from this experience so the cycle was continued, and has not stopped. Worst of all his mother knows about his behavior and instead of seeking help for him, she continues to baby him and sweep it under the rug.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

mbhuibregtse wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 22:16 I struggle with Clarence. The story of his trauma was very detailed and I felt empathy to him. However, in present time, he lurked so much and had such limited positive qualities about him. By the time he attacked Maureen, I felt so sick of his storyline and felt no sympathy. He should not be forgiven.
I agreee, because of how the story built up, by the time the incident with Maureen happened I was already sick of his antics.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Clarence is a monster that should be dealt with. I was not impressed nothing much was said about him. If everyone wants to use their ugly past to hurt someone then definitely the world would be in chaos cause everyone does have an ugly experience.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I feel like the way his mother responded to what happened after he attempted to rape Maureen was really bad. Granted he had trauma but it doesn't excuse what he did and by responding the way Lucinda did, she indirectly enabled his behavior because something tells me that that may not have been the first time he tried to take advantage of anyone. The family could have been a great help setting him straight that what he wanted to do was wrong and that if he did it again, there's be consequences. He was a human being with trauma, as most of us are but we do not go around doing vile things and expect to be excused simply because we are traumatized. Uncle Clarence needed a lesson in accountability and responsibility
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

In my opinion, he shouldn't be forgiven. I was surprised and angry as well because it was overlooked. He went too far and it shouldn't be overlooked.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

He shouldn't be forgiven. The fact that he faced a lot as a child shouldn't give him leverage to act stupidly as an adult.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Childhood trauma should never be an excuse to project further trauma on others. It is something to be dealt with and healed. I understand not everyone is able to do that, but it certainly cannot be used as an excuse, especially for what Clarence tried to do with Maureen.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”