Twinship

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Twinship

Post by Yere123 »

I really felt that the love the twins held for each other and for their mother was tangible. I especially thought this when Lena recounted the last moments of her husband joey's love. I loved how with one look the twins knew what to to do defend their mother. Of course, they were jaded but I like to think that Lena was able to hold good memories of them before they passed.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Oh yeah, the bond between the twins was really special. Although, I did not agree with the punishment sharing thing. It frustrated their mother so much. Sigh.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I love twins and the fact that the author illustrates the twinning part is great. He kind of went too far but this was just to make one understand that twinning means sharing everything. Its great
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The punishment sharing policy between the twins was comical. I also liked how the other connected Kalayla's personality to the twins. Kalayla reminded Lena of them, which is a large part of why Lena's attention was drawn to Kalayla to begin with.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I loved that punishment sharing policy as well. I always wanted a twin. I'd like to know about twins who actually used that policy. I would also put a homework sharing policy. However, no birthday nor holiday gift sharing. Absolutely not! :lol: :lol:
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Not much of them is shown, but the twin's relationship is very strong. It looks to me that they do and share everything together, like they are one soul in two bodies. I'm not sure what happened in Vietnam, but it feels like they even die together. It's sad thing they are gone so early.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I loved how the twins have got each other's back. They share a wonderful bond.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think twins share a special bond. As a parent, if one twin is on the wrong and the other wants to take the punishment for it, I would punish the both of them.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I also loved the "punishment sharing policy." It made me laugh and shake my head at the smartassery. I also really liked their secret, sorta telepathic connection where they could agree on something almost immediately. It was shown clearly when the twins found their dad in the middle of abusing their mom. They shared a quick nod and immediately pinned their dad to get him off their mother, calling him out for his terrible behavior. While their death threats might have been pushing the boundaries, I think this was a really cool moment to see the twins really displaying their power and morals separate from their father who coached them all their lives. The fact that they also fought together to the bitter end in Vietnam was also very powerful and showed the strength of their relationship.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Kaylee123 wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:26 I do respect the twins, though, since they defended Lena when they found their father beating her. In that case, however, I think any two brothers would have reacted in the same way, not just twins.
Yeah, I also appreciate how protective they were of their mother.
I read a book that also features twin boys and their mother was also a victim of domestic violence. One of the twins turned out to be as evil as their father, so I think not every kid will fight for the safety of his/her mother. Well, it was also a novel.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

It is a shame the twins did not have more page time to be characterised further, but what we got was good for understanding Lena's character more, and enough for us to really feel the weight of their deaths. It was also great to see them defend their mother against Joey, since Lena is constantly nursing doubts over whether she raised her kids right, often assuming that Joey had managed to mould the boys into clones of himself
Clare Jose
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I don't have any personal experience with twins, but I've read and heard that twins tend to have unique bonds. I really don't know how a parent can deal with two troublesome and naughty kids like those portrayed in the story. While I don't agree with punishing both of them, I think those boys weren't easy to deal with.
But I felt that the twins were just 'twins' in the story. I mean, we didn't really get to observe their individual characters other than the fact they were really close.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Tonze wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 02:58 What have you liked about the two twins boys?
Me I liked how the author described the relationship between those twins especially the way they were close but what got me was "The punishment sharing policy " where one can be taking a punishment of the other and their mother was not ok with their policy that made her punishing them together for something that one of them had done.
It shows me how the love between twins is very deep that no one can't separate their feelings.
Those two share a really strong bond and I admire that. They are the closes among their family, but it's such a bity that they both died.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

What I liked about the twin boys was their determination to fight against their father and try to protect their mother who was getting abused by her husband.
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I like the bond the twins shared and how they had each other's backs. However, I felt their punishment-sharing policy was as a result of their mischievous tendencies. It was a policy that allowed the twins to take turns in their mischievous activities and go as wild as they wanted, knowing whose turn it was to be punished.

Yes, twins do share a special bond. At least, most wins do. Especially the ones that aren't busy fighting all the time🤪

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”