Appropriate for Mature teens?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Re: Appropriate for Mature teens?

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I don't think Kalayla is limited to adults only. Teens can be able to relate to the story more and understand what happens at that stage. The book is also educative and they will be able to pick a couple of lessons.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Kalayla is an amazing read for mature teens who are growing and learning to express their emotions. Budding teenagers by reading veritable stories, experiences and others' views on life is always a good idea, as they are still in their learning phase and need all the guidance they can get their hands on.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

Kalayla is a book for mature teens because of the relatability they might have with some of the characters.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

"Yes!" Because mature teens can handle a lot of challenges on their own, parents sometimes have to let their children be aware of such issues and give them the opportunity to grasp them through novels like Kalayla, which can provide insight into these issues as well.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I think this inspiring novel is suitable for mature teens because they will change their perspective on family life or non-blood ties, racism, and innocence.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Eugenia36Nicholas wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:08 Now every one of any age is exposed to so much, and by the end of the story, the characters grow and change in spite of--or maybe due to--grim circumstances. Do you think mature teens can handle the issues raised in the book, or should it be for adults only?
I think they can handle it but with guidance. There is so much mature teenagers can learn from Kalayla like lessons on racism and how to handle it, community safety, and what a healthy relationship should look like.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Yes I think mature teens can handle it. Most teenagers will be able to relate to the content of this book. Book like these could be very instrumental to prepare them to overcome life battles.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

I think Kalayla is suitable for mature teens to read, it would help to educate them on issues they might not have previously been exposed to.
Emilia Kvatchadze
Currently Reading: Pulse: Book One
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-kvatchadze.html
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel

Post by Emilia Kvatchadze »

I definitely think mature teens are able to handle the contests in this book. In fact, I think this is a novel that all mature should read! It gives such a good insight into these serious topics, and how they can all be handled differently. My perspective and thoughts on the topics broadened so much, and I learned a lot when I finished the novel. I think mature teens will be grateful after reading it, and I think it's suitable for them even though it does contain some hard subjects!
Latest Review: Liner by Chris Coppel
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

This was my exact concern. I don't think a teen would be able to pass through what Kayala and still maintain sound mental health. I think it should be for adults only.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

Eugenia36Nicholas wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:08 Now every one of any age is exposed to so much, and by the end of the story, the characters grow and change in spite of--or maybe due to--grim circumstances. Do you think mature teens can handle the issues raised in the book, or should it be for adults only?
I believe that mature teens will relate, more than anyone as these are some of the challenges they face everyday.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I feel like mature teens would definitely benefit from this book. It is never too early to inform maturing children about the way society functions. If Kaylayla who is a young girl could understand some of these issues and accept them and learn, the older ones would understand these issues as well. It will also teach them what to look out for in life and how to handle it.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Yes, exposing them to this kind of book could help them understand the reasons why they are not being loved.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

Mature teens can handle the issues in this book, I even feel they should be made to read the book to prepare them for the life ahead
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I think it is appropriate for mature teens. Apart from the profanity and the sexual assault which I think most mature teens already understand, there’s nothing stopping them from reading it.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”