Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Re: Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Post by evraealtana »

pricklypurple wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 16:27 I think we often feel an obligation to our blood relations.
I agree. I think this can breed resentment, particularly when you have a family member you don't really like but feel the need to spend time with or help out just because they're "family".
Budhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-budhal.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Budhal »

Yes, I think relations that we make by our free will sometimes last for longer period because we connect to those people who are quite similar to us. Hence, there are less chances of difference of opinion. As for blood relations, often we take them for granted and hence this leads to differences and the bonds get strained.
What isn't said is as important as what is said.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

In a way, free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations but I also believe that they both have their own unique places of manifestations. Blood relation is still a very strong bond all the same.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Blood is thicker than water is isn't always true. What makes it thick is the relationship over time. And if that relationship can be gotten elsewhere then why not.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

In my opinion, I believe that blood relations are far stronger than free will relations with others. Friends and lovers may come and go, but often, family is always there for you.

Nevertheless, the bond shared between Kalayla, Maureen, and Lena is one of those special kinds that last a lifetime.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think these relationships can be much more valuable and effectual in our lives. Some people have great relationships with their family and it is something the rest of us are jealous of. I think having a family bond can be something that no matter what happens, you can count on them. Of course they have to choose to be there for each other as well. A man made relationship can be just as powerful. When we know someone loves us because they choose to and don't feel obligated, it can be much more meaningful. Lena and Kalayla were ones who benefited from this type of relationship.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

I think it differs with each person's experience. Some families have the worst relationships and those members of the families tend to forge happy bonds with people they meet outside the blood lineage. Although in most cases family bonds are stronger than man-made bonds.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

I think it depends on an individual. Although some of us may believe blood is thicker than water, for some, blood ties are not that strong. A man made bond can be strong after a while because trust is needed, and we all know it takes a while for someone to earn one's trust.
chrisrhine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisrhine.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by chrisrhine »

As Hitchens wrote in his memoir, these "free will man-made relations" described above is born out of a common language, not meaning both people speak English, but rather for that time and place, two individuals speaking with the same convictions, tone, pace, etc.
Blood relations can be a fool's game in that you happen to be birthed into a particular clan, however pleasant, aweful, or privileged.
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

I believe that both bonds have their own strengths and weaknesses, but for me free-will man made relations are more special because you chose them yourself. For blood bond, you usually have no choice since you're born with them. In the story, Leena and Kayala had a special relationship. Even though they were not blood related, Leena still cared for Kayala as if she was her child.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Aishwarya Chhabra wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 05:30 Relations formed as a result of circumstances, attractions, similarities out of free will sometimes travel long periods of our lifetimes than our sometimes imposed closest blood relations. This is something that happened among the three- Kalayla , Maureen and Lena in KALAYLA .What are your opinions??
Like you well mentioned most of our closed blood relations are imposed. And are for that reason not as strong as those formed willingly through attractions and similarities.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

hellonewuser wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 02:36 "I wish everyone knew the entire saying. It's not 'blood is thicker than water,' it's 'the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.' Meaning relationships built by choice are stronger than those built by birth."Only those relations are the one you should care which are true to you not because of need of you"
I’ve never heard that! Thank you for informing me!
I know so many people that don’t have love in their families. I think that situation makes it very possible to have more loyalty and caring for chosen family than blood family.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

I personally belief that the relationship you put the most effort into are the one that will become the strongest. That being said, it is often easier to approach a family member when you are in need than it is to approach a friend.
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

It has been my experience that all relationships are what you make them. Blood relationships can be strong if, for no other reason, there is more chance for shared traits and connections. Man-made relationships can be strong because you are in the relationship by choice and are likely due to connections and chance similarities. Healthy versions of each type require effort and care to build needed trust and love regardless of how they originated.
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

Absolutely. Though I agree with other posters who say relationships are what you make of them, I also believe that in many ways, blood relationships are often taken for granted because they have that unbreakable foundation, and aren’t nurtured as much as relationships where there isn’t a biological bond.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”