Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Taryn Eyre
Currently Reading: Leaving Dahomey
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taryn-eyre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Post by Taryn Eyre »

I feel that obviously blood relations have a head start in terms of a bond that is formed. However, I think that if that relationship cracks or breaks it can be harder to heal. Most people feel that blood bond should be unconditional and in most cases that is true, but in the cases that it does break I feel like those relationships are rarely ever put back together. ‘Kalayla’ shows hope for these situations at the end of the novel through Lina’s story. That being said, I do feel that the chosen bond between friends that become family can be much stronger than blood. It’s a relationship that has grown over time where love, trust and loyalty have been earned on both sides.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Since blood relartions are, well , blood relations, we always remember them and compare any new form relation to them because the former are a given in our life and the latter are a choice. We can always let go of someone ( not blood-bound) if we dont get along, therefore, if we happen to meet someone we connect with on deeper levels, we cherish it more. Contranstingly, blood relations are kind of taken for granted and since we can't kick them out of our lives at our will, we sometimes feel that self made relationships are stronger. Whereas, I believe blood relation can be similar it all depends on the qualities of the person.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

While not always stronger, they are more stable because they are founded on mutual trust and respect. Each party has to willingly go an extra mile to accommodate the other thus laying a strong foundation for the relationship.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

From personal experience I would say that it depends. Its not rare for someone to share a deeper bond with someone else other than their family.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

It happens, sometimes. The fact that someone is your blood relation doesn't necessarily translate to them always having your back. Whereas someone you carefully select as a friend might.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

Sometimes relation between humans can be stronger than the one with a blood relationship. Especially if they are distancing from each other.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

It all depends on the individuals. Relationships formed by man-made can be stronger since it was groomed till it all blossom into love and trust. Relationship by blood is also strong and unique since we don't usually have to do anything special to form a strong bond.
Both relationships are strong and unique in their way depending on the individuals forming these relationships.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

Most times, bonds with strangers usually come through for a person than a family bond. All bonds are unique in their special way though and they have a purpose.

Like Lena’s bond to Maureen and Kalayla is to bring reconciliation between mother and child.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

This is a quite challenging question. Well, it depends. They all say that, "Blood is thicker than water". But I think, integrity is thicker than blood. Family is family - and family must always be prioritized. What if man-made relations are stronger than blood just like in Kalayla? Lena accepted and treated Maureen and Kalayla as her own. What does blood serve when family cannot even respect one's likings? The likings that is surely not bad?
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I am afraid they are not. It is a rare case to find such a caring human-like Lena. Blood is thicker than water!
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

I find it hard to believe that relationships that are not from family last longer. I think family even though you clash most times, one can always go back. I can't speak for everyone because some families are toxic but it all depends on a person's experience. I would say as long as you have a tolerable family, your relationship will always be stronger.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

The reality is blood is thicker than water. You might hate a family member for a grave sin done against you but that tie is hard to get rid off completely. We all lost some friends along the way, that we probably don't even remember, but we would remember losing a family member.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

My honest opinion is that man made relations are stronger than blood. Blood relations are so much more judgemental than man made. Ninety persent of my man made realtions, are more to me like brothers and sisters than my own family is, sad to say. I never get judged by these relations, where when it comes to blood you always have to be what they want you to be. Exactly like Maureen's parents treated her. The minute she become her own person and made her own decisions, she stepped out of their box and that was not good enough for them, so they didnt want her anymore due to the 'scandal' and what it would do to their name. Its rather sad how your 'name' as parent could be worth more than loving your own flesh and bood.
Spencer Maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencer-maina.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Spencer Maina »

No! I mean, you can't compare the feeling you have towards your schoolmate with the one you have towards your brother. Blood is thicker.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Sometimes the people we are related to by blood might not come through for us when we need them the most. Sometimes man made bond is way stronger than that of the blood relations. Lena is a great example of that, even though she could have ignored Kalayla and her mom, she took Kalayla as her granddaughter and Maureen as a daughter. Maureen's parents could have done better to respect their daughter's decision and not disown her. Jamal's family showed that some blood relations are strong though, I like the way he stood up for his brother everytime

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”