Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Asunshine
Currently Reading: Diary of a Wimpy Kid :The Ugly Truth
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunshine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Do you think free will man-made relations are stronger than blood relations??

Post by Asunshine »

I think it all depend on the closeness and how strong the bond between members of the family is. Some families aren't that close and in that case a free will man-made relation can be stronger than blood relation. But in other cases the family is strongly bonded by love and no one can replace this.
Samana95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samana95.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Samana95 »

The bonds built by strangers can sometimes be stronger than the blood-related bonds, especially if the individuals have the needs that each person is seeking. If they can find love, affection, and comfort from a stranger more than from their families, the bonds between them will grow.
Erin M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-m.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Erin M »

Interesting question. I think they can be, but it depends on your situation. If you have a very stable relationship with your family, that will likely be stronger than any friendships you have. On the other hand, if you are estranged from your family, like Maureen, then you will probably seek out some substitute for that in the form of man-made relationships.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Familial relationships are static and loyalty-based while self-chosen relationships are much more dynamic. The self-chosen relationships are stronger because people naturally gravitate towards those with like ideologies and manners. So, yes. Free man-made relationships are stronger in my opinion.
ria246
Favorite Book: So Long Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria246.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by ria246 »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:23
anoushka_thakur wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 07:00 Sometimes relations built by humans flourish far better than blood relations. It all depends on our experiences and how we connect to other people in order to build that relation with them, just like in this book.Some experiences bind us more closely. So its safe to say that man made relations are stronger.
I dissent with your statement. Yes, circumstances may propagate relationships to grow stronger between strangers, but those related by blood have a unique bond that engraved in love.
I agree that man made relations are stronger. I've seen a saying on the internet several times, I don't recall the exact words but it was along the lines of you can choose your friends but you don't have a say in what family you're born into. I have blood relatives that I'm extremely close to but that's because we work hard to make sure our relationship flourish. Then there are other I couldn't care less about. Every relationship, be it blood or not takes effort to maintain.
LauraLambton
Currently Reading: Small Island
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauralambton.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by LauraLambton »

It depends on our experiences growing up with our blood relations. If they teach us what a healthy relationship looks like, this is what we will search for and the man-made relationship will be equally as strong. If we do not get an experience of this however, blood relationships will nearly always be stronger.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

My answer isn't exactly plain and cut. Human relations can wax stronger than blood relations depending on the type of relationship it is. A husband and wife are usually closer than a brother and sister. Two best friends are usually closer than brothers. Though sometimes, when it comes to taking major life-changing decisions, blood relations take priority.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I think that sometimes mad-made relationships are stronger because they get the love and attention from this person more than the blood relation. It is then easier to go back to the loving relationship rather than the toxic relationship.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Sirrah Tahir
Favorite Author: Lewis Kempfer
Favorite Book: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 179884

Post by Sirrah Tahir »

It depends upon circumstances some time people without blood relation serves each other so well that no one can judge that they don't have any blood relation among them. I think care is the most important factor to strengthen a bond between people.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

What a thought provoking topic. I have been blessed with intensely close familial relationship. Everyone in my family has a strong bond. I do believe though, it would be possible for those bonds of free will, as you say, to be stronger or at least just as strong. Not everyone is blessed with a close family and free will bonds replace the holes family should have been sometimes.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I believe man-made bonds are stronger than blood-made ones. Just because you are related by blood doesn't mean you have to love them. It is the connection that is formed that makes a family.
khushiiipawar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushiiipawar.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by khushiiipawar »

Yes. I do believe free will relations are stronger than blood relations. After all, we can't change or choose our family.
But we can definitely make free will bonds.
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

Whoa. This topic grabbed me pretty fast. I immediately have a stance here, very firm. The quote "Blood is thicker than water" is incomplete. It gives the impression of family being the stronger bond. Of course the initial meaning was to say the opposite. The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.
All of us spend our lives growing and changing, morphing into different people. The person you were to your family as a child, a teen, a parent, an enemy or friend, all of that is going to be vastly different.
The people that you make covenants with are the much stronger bond. You make them as the person you are at the time. Not some conglomeration of different versions of one person.
My own father is estranged from me. I made that choice, and stand strong by it. He may have helped give me life, but I do not owe him my time and effort for this.
psmith5659
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psmith5659.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by psmith5659 »

I think that freely made relationships are definitely stronger than those from blood relations. When we find people that we care about from just living our lives, we make the choice to care for them and have them in our loves. Because of this choice, we have a higher stake in the relationship. It's like when you read a book for fun and because you want to as opposed to being assigned one for a class. It all goes back to the old proverb in the end: "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

B Creech wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:57 I think there are times they can be stronger, depending on a person's relationship with their family. I have had friends I made outside of family that have very strong bonds and lasted. However, I still believe blood will take precedence over man-made relationships in the long run.
I agree with this.
The truth is, many times familial relationships are far from perfect and sometimes can be worse than bad. Irrespective of the feelings involved- positive or negative, blood is a tie that binds for all time.
So, yes, blood relationships definitely take precedence over man made relationships. No matter how much one tries to get rid of one's family, you can't shake them free. This is the way of it.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”