Current Social Issues?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
viviannganyi
Favorite Book: Zeus defied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviannganyi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Current Social Issues?

Post by viviannganyi »

What are the current social issues explored by the Jeannie Nicholas?
To me, I would say there are some current issues that have been delved into by the author. For instance, just to name a few, there is racism, sexual abuse, etcetera.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Race, sexuallity, gender equality, interacial marriage, domestic violence are the issues that stood out to me.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Some of the social issues that Jeannie explores include poverty and housing. You can see this from Kalayla's way of dressing. It's also seen when Maureen becomes so cautious about anything that would lead them to be kicked out of their residence. She never allowed Kalayla to sneak in any pet as per her fraught requests.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

Many of the social issues discussed are the same issues we are facing in our society today. Racism, gender equality, sexual abuse, sexual orientation, and poverty are all present today. A lot of this has been more prevalent in today's world than in past generations. I feel our nation has grown away from God and people do not even know what is right and wrong morally. Only small country towns still try to address the issues in a proper way to help people. That's what she needed in this book...someone willing to help.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

gayscott wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 11:20 Many of the social issues discussed are the same issues we are facing in our society today. Racism, gender equality, sexual abuse, sexual orientation, and poverty are all present today. A lot of this has been more prevalent in today's world than in past generations. I feel our nation has grown away from God and people do not even know what is right and wrong morally. Only small country towns still try to address the issues in a proper way to help people. That's what she needed in this book...someone willing to help.
Lena's character makes a unique number in current times. Only a few people who would meet a young girl like Kalayla will offer her help without wanting something in return. Also, rarely will you find family members helping their siblings selflessly.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

The obvious are there, such as racism and sexual abuse. Additionally, poverty, mental illness, child care, elder care, and housing issues are there.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Maconstewart wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 15:44 The obvious are there, such as racism and sexual abuse. Additionally, poverty, mental illness, child care, elder care, and housing issues are there.
In regards to housing issues, it touched me to learn that Kalalyla’s bedroom is compared to the closet in Lena's spare room. This shows how bad things were for Kalayla and her mum.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I think that the most prominent for me is abuse, sexuality, family, and hope are the most prominent for me. There is also the issue of interracial relationships.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Christieee wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 07:49 I think that the most prominent for me is abuse, sexuality, family, and hope are the most prominent for me. There is also the issue of interracial relationships.
I'd also like to add friendships to your list. They begin with Maureen to Lena , Kalayla and the unique one Carlotta Eccli. Who had been Lena's best friend forever. Her life was simple and straightforward and she always had Lena's back no matter what.
Nidhi_391005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-391005.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Nidhi_391005 »

gayscott wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 11:20 Many of the social issues discussed are the same issues we are facing in our society today. Racism, gender equality, sexual abuse, sexual orientation, and poverty are all present today. A lot of this has been more prevalent in today's world than in past generations. I feel our nation has grown away from God and people do not even know what is right and wrong morally. Only small country towns still try to address the issues in a proper way to help people. That's what she needed in this book...someone willing to help.
A social issue is a problem that influences many citizens within a society. It is a common problem in present-day society and one that many people strive to solve. It is often the consequence of factors extending beyond an individual's control. I do agree with you that the few problems discussed in the book are the problems we are facing in our society today.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Nidhi_391005 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 12:03
A social issue is a problem that influences many citizens within a society. It is a common problem in present-day society and one that many people strive to solve. It is often the consequence of factors extending beyond an individual's control. I do agree with you that the few problems discussed in the book are the problems we are facing in our society today.
I believe sexual orientation, racism, and poverty are the most recurring today. The gap between the rich and the poor is on an all-time high. In this book, we can tell the differences between Lena and Maureen's background. Lena and her husband Joey owned the apartment house and the opposite building where Eddie eateries were located. Maureen was waiting tables at Eddie’s eatery for a year.
Zubayydah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zubayydah.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zubayydah »

Humanity has faced these problems for a very long time. On one hand, discussing these issues helps to educate people about it, while on the other hand it magnifies them and makes it seem like they are new when they have existed for centuries.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Zubayydah wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:30 Humanity has faced these problems for a very long time. On one hand, discussing these issues helps to educate people about it, while on the other hand it magnifies them and makes it seem like they are new when they have existed for centuries.
I believe it all depends on how the issues are portrayed either in literature or in real life. Jeannie's writing style addressed these issues in a manner that a reader leaves knowing how actions impact others and what matters when it comes to family and personal relationships. To iterate on that, the reader also has an obligation to read the book with an open mind. For instance parents can learn that dealing with their children's attitude towards issues is critical. And that raising a child to be morally upright requires sacrifice and investment in time with them. Maureen is busy trying to make ends meet, which is a good move, but her child is also important. Kalayla is left to strangers and the society at large to teach her the right way to stand up for herself, which leads to her rebelliousness.
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

The current social issues are domestic violence, gender inequality, sexual abuse, rape, castism, rasicm, poverty, mental illness, disowning children, child labour and many more.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

The social issues are seen in our present environment. There are the poor, then there's domestic violence, even being homeless, improper child upbringing.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”