Current Social Issues?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
LauraLambton
Currently Reading: Small Island
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauralambton.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Re: Current Social Issues?

Post by LauraLambton »

I think the issue of racism shouts the loudest here. I think that tje other issues explored rest on the foundations of racism. It is particularly poignant now with the BLM movement.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

A lot of social issues explored in this book are rife and universal in our world today. Poverty, domestic violence and abuse, inequalitym and racism are just a few of the commonly occurring themes explored in Kalayla.
Buddy maxx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddy-maxx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Buddy maxx »

I love that most issues that humanity is dealing with, have been discussed in the boom. Interracial marriage, sexual abuse, domestic violence, proper housing and child upbringing.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

viviannganyi wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 04:21 What are the current social issues explored by the Jeannie Nicholas?
To me, I would say there are some current issues that have been delved into by the author. For instance, just to name a few, there is racism, sexual abuse, etcetera.
There were many social issues explored in Kalayla. Racism, domestic violence, acceptance, poverty, the importance of family versus big business, and familial obligations through traditions.
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

I would say race plays a major role in this book. There is also a lot of trauma discussed. Lena experiencing many types of grief and domestic violence, Maureen feeling isolated by her family for marrying outside of her race, and Kalayla finding out years later that her grandparents are still alive.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

Racism was a big one for me with everything that has happened in 2020. It is crazy to me that after all of these years that something as simple as skin color is still such a big problem.
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 08:05
Zubayydah wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:30 Humanity has faced these problems for a very long time. On one hand, discussing these issues helps to educate people about it, while on the other hand it magnifies them and makes it seem like they are new when they have existed for centuries.
I believe it all depends on how the issues are portrayed either in literature or in real life. Jeannie's writing style addressed these issues in a manner that a reader leaves knowing how actions impact others and what matters when it comes to family and personal relationships. To iterate on that, the reader also has an obligation to read the book with an open mind. For instance parents can learn that dealing with their children's attitude towards issues is critical. And that raising a child to be morally upright requires sacrifice and investment in time with them. Maureen is busy trying to make ends meet, which is a good move, but her child is also important. Kalayla is left to strangers and the society at large to teach her the right way to stand up for herself, which leads to her rebelliousness.
I strongly disagree that discussing any issue makes it seem "new". Not discussing them or saying that because they are old they should be dismissed is precisely why so many of these issues never change. Repression doesn't change anything. Ignoring them doesn't make physical problems go away either. Why would discussing racism make it seem like a sudden and new issue? How would it do that? An example would be nice to see. How does addressing any problem magnify it either? If you have a fire in your kitchen does acknowledging it make it larger? I think this is an argument from an emotional place of not wanting to hear or see a problem since it doesn't affect the person feeling so.
Even if a problem is new that doesn't make it irrelevant either.
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

The list of issues is long, truly. We also get to see a lot of ways that they concretely affect people's lives. Poverty showing up in ways just as simple as whether or not to have a pet. Having a bedroom that is seen as incredibly small by someone in a different class. Just poverty alone isn't an issue of just being poor. There is added stress, fear and anxiety about losing what little you have. Because it is so very easy. You learn people will look down on you automatically, blame you for being in circumstances that can literally happen to anyone. But addressing that is too scary for a lot of people. They would rather look down on people like Kalaya than admit that they could ever be in the same boat.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The social issues that stood out for me were sexuality, acceptance, racism, and poverty. It's sad that these issues are still a menace in current society.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

The social issues discussed by the author are all present today. This, however, made the job even more difficult. It is complicated to adopt a new approach about something so debated. The author, however, did a wonderful job.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:32 Race, sexuallity, gender equality, interacial marriage, domestic violence are the issues that stood out to me.
Indeed!

Also, sexual abuse, stereotyping and poverty and how the effects of poverty go beyond just poor clothing and housing.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

Some of the issues that stood out to me are: race and interracial marriage, sexuality and identity, domestic violence. Another theme that stood out to me, that I feel is often linked to domestic violence and racial issues, is poverty.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

The issues like racism, sexuality, interracial marriages, domestic violence and poverty mainly stood out.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This book explores many current social issues. It evaluates how societal norms impact marriages and family relationships in general. For example, 'Lotta pushed back against societal expectations by not marrying within the Catholic church and by divorcing. Yet she seemed happier for it. Lena's life was full of regret even though she abided by what was expected of her; staying with her husband in spite of their abusive relationship. While times have changed, and these societal norms have evolved, societal expectations still put pressure on families and this pressure can have good or bad consequences. The author also explores issues of race and gender equality.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

There are so many social issues that are seen in the book and in our current world. Poverty, abuse, racism, gender equality are some that stand out to me.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”