Current Social Issues?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Re: Current Social Issues?

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Poverty and social classes stood out for me. It's intriguing enough that one person's bedroom is another person's closet. Sexual abuse, racism and children's place in the world are today's realities too.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I think one of the great things about this book is it really touches on a substantial number of social issues that are still prevalent today. Some of them are subtly intertwined into the story and some are blatantly discussed as they have a direct impact on the characters. Things like race, sexual orientation, gender, socio-economic status, and age all have the potential to be significant social issues and we see the characters work through all the experiences they have because of the social issues prevalent in their lives.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The current social issue is racism and the abuse of women. Another social issue addressed is the single-parent household. Maureen is a single mom who is struggling to provide for herself and her daughter. Also, I would add parenting as a social issue. The book is filled with parent-child relationships. Whether it is Kalayla with her mother, Lena with her adult children, or even Rico and his dad.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

Many social issues were touched like marital consent, racism, bullying, sexual orientation, and mental health. Awareness regarding these things was one of the things I like about the book. We saw the repercussions that may happen if we swept these things under the rug.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

The current social issues explored by Jeannie include marriage, parenting, racism, social classes, gender based violence and sexuality.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

The issues that stood out for me are: racism, sexuality, abuse and marriage.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Muzafar Iqbal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muzafar-iqbal.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Muzafar Iqbal »

Poverty, racism and abuse stand out to me. They have also been highlighted a lot in the news recently.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Aside from the obvious issues addressed in the synopsis, I want to include the problems most boys face:
"to man up".

I'm sure many boys were told not to cry because it is considered a weakness. I know many guys who were told not to wear something pink because it makes them look gay. My SO used to like the color purple until his father said it is only for girls.
I am sad to hear about it because a lot of men cannot freely express themselves nowadays. And if they do, they are shamed for "acting like a girl". If they don't get into fights, they're considered a coward.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Racism is a big one. The astonishing racism that is plaguing our society is scary and heartbreaking. There is also homophobia, domestic violence, classism etc. I loved the fantastic way in which the author wove these issues together.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

viviannganyi wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 04:21 What are the current social issues explored by the Jeannie Nicholas?
To me, I would say there are some current issues that have been delved into by the author. For instance, just to name a few, there is racism, sexual abuse, etcetera.
Somewhere I think the issues are the same over the years, it's just the level and medium used to spread hate has changed. We had racism then, we still have it, but in addition to saying hateful comments or physically hurting someone, we also have a lot of online bullying, most of which is anonymous. Technology is something which should have been used for positive things, is used for terrible things in a lot of cases.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

Social issues including racism, sexual abuse, domestic violence and homophobia were explored in the book. It was a very relevant book considering the increasing rate of such issues in today's world.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

gayscott wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 11:20 Many of the social issues discussed are the same issues we are facing in our society today. Racism, gender equality, sexual abuse, sexual orientation, and poverty are all present today. A lot of this has been more prevalent in today's world than in past generations. I feel our nation has grown away from God and people do not even know what is right and wrong morally. Only small country towns still try to address the issues in a proper way to help people. That's what she needed in this book...someone willing to help.
Well said. She wanted someone to be her source of strength. It's so true in today's world where people crave for a helping hand and a kind heart. We all need such people to help us through the darkest days.
Oyster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyster.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Oyster »

Some of the social issues I noticed are homophobia, sexual abuse, domestic violence, rape, racism, child upbringing, and so much more.

All of these are sadly still gaining traction in our society without any hope of stopping in the foreseeable future
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

The current social issues that Jeannie Nicholas explored in this book is social abuses, gender equality, , sexual abuse, racism, poverty. For instance, Maureen is forced to get out of her house because she was married a black man. Furthermore, Lena was getting sexual abused by her husband.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Domestic violence, racism, LGBTQ, rape, and poverty. These are the social issues that come to mind when I think of the book Kalayla.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”