What do you think about the title of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Re: What do you think about the title of the book?

Post by Deval Sodha »

Yes, I think the title 'Kalayla' is appropriate as she was the one who played an important role to connect all the three women.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I think it's a good title. Kalayla is a unique name, and she is the reason they come together in the first place.
imet123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imet123.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by imet123 »

I think the title is appropriate for the book since Kalayla is the one who brings all of them together.
Nancy_9
Currently Reading: The Senator’s Suitcase
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Nancy_9 »

I think the title is perfect according to the protagonist's story. And Unique name of a book makes it more interesting too!!!
dtbrannon
Currently Reading: Making Sense of Life Explaining Genes & Telepathy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtbrannon.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by dtbrannon »

I have to admit that when I first saw the title Kalayla, that I really wasn't attracted to the book. But what is that old saying about not judging a book by its cover?

After reading this amazing story, I really could not have come up with a better title myself. I laughed so hard whenever Kalayla would mutter something rude under her breath, because you can just visualize someone her age doing that.

Kalayla is the character that everything revolved around, even though Lena did most of the footwork. Therefore, Kalayla is probably the most appropriate title.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I'm okay with the title. In any case, I can't come up with one that's better. But it really doesn't do much to tell a first-glance, would-be reader what the book is about. The cover does a better job of that, though it's still not very descriptive.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Well, the name Kalayla sounds unique and exotic. Also, most of the story is woven around her, so I believe it's an appropriate title for the book.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

Although Maureen and Lena are also large parts of the book, I think the story is centered around Kalayla. When we find out information on the histories of Lena and Maureen, it is to give us context into why they respond the way they do and act the way they do to each situation. It all comes back to how it relates to their relationship with Kalayla. Although the title could have been many different clever titles, I think the one given is appropriate. The story is simply about the life of this girl and the people surrounding her.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I think the book is appropriately named. Although there are three female protagonists, Makayla is the central figure who connects everyone to each other.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

Honestly I’m not sure that it fits for me. I think all three are sort of equally represented here. I see the point of her being the youngest and the future generation. I was thinking something more like Family Secrets. When I read the description initially I wasn’t sure I wanted to read a whole book about an 11-year-old. I was pleasantly surprised that it was about a lot more.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

"Kalayla", sounds really catchy as a book title. Although the three women had their lives interwoven with each other, Kalayla was the most intriguing character for me. So not bad for the title.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 07:16 The story is woven around three female characters and their lives. Yet, the book is named by the name of the youngest protagonist, Kalayla.

Why is that? Is it appropriate? Do you have any suggestions for alternative titles?
I think the title draws attention to kalayla because I personally wanted to know who kalayla was, and what role she played in the book for it to be named after her. I wasn't disappointed and I think the title is appropriate.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I just got done reading the book. I think Kalayla is the glue, and driving force for all three characters. Sme of the events that happened may never have if the author had not developed her character they way she did. that is Why I think Kalayla is fitting.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 13:22 I think the title of the book is suitable. To me, 'Kalayla' is more intriguing than 'family ties'.
I agree. It is also a very beautiful, exotic name.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

I think the tittle of the book is quite as unique as the character she played in the book. So 'Kalaya' is a perfect tittle for the book.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”