Interracial Marriage

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Re: Interracial Marriage

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Depending on where you live interracial marrages are perfectly acceptable or frowned upon. In the 21 century racism has taken for sure a dive in comparison to the past, but sadly it still has some root. And even if the marrage was perfectly accepted, a biracial child could still encounter racism or even the uncertainty of where it belongs. When it come to Kalayla I belive it could centaintly be a factor but the way the story is structured it is not the only and definitely not the most serious of her problems.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I'm all for interracial marriages and I am so surprised by many people who still have issues with interracial relationships. People confuse me when they want people to stay in their own race, but if you look back in time, that wasn't the case. I remembered being confused as a middle schooler when I saw Roots and the slave masters were having these relaitonship with slaves because they for sure hated black people but still impregnated the slaves. That was a consensual relationship but their have been intermingling with races for a long time. I don't know if Kalayla's race has to do with her being mad all the time, I just contributed that to her being a young girl who was a loner and she didn't like meeting new people.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

The world has been able to evolve to a point where biracial marriages are now very acceptable. Though, there's still a lot of stereotyping, it is much better than the former ages. I think it partly contributed to kalaya's situation.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Now more than ever, it is acceptable. It's about time we chose humanity over the color of one's skin. Slowly, but surely, we will get there
Loads Rails
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Loads Rails »

I think it is one of the factors that cause Kalayla's hardships. But, it is more acceptable now than in previous times. Although there may be cultural differences that may cause misunderstanding in this relationship.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

RobinBennet wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 16:45 Depending on where you live interracial marrages are perfectly acceptable or frowned upon. In the 21 century racism has taken for sure a dive in comparison to the past, but sadly it still has some root. And even if the marrage was perfectly accepted, a biracial child could still encounter racism or even the uncertainty of where it belongs. When it come to Kalayla I belive it could centaintly be a factor but the way the story is structured it is not the only and definitely not the most serious of her problems.
Dman_1996 wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 19:38 I'm all for interracial marriages and I am so surprised by many people who still have issues with interracial relationships. People confuse me when they want people to stay in their own race, but if you look back in time, that wasn't the case. I remembered being confused as a middle schooler when I saw Roots and the slave masters were having these relaitonship with slaves because they for sure hated black people but still impregnated the slaves. That was a consensual relationship but their have been intermingling with races for a long time. I don't know if Kalayla's race has to do with her being mad all the time, I just contributed that to her being a young girl who was a loner and she didn't like meeting new people.
Nonny2208 wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 21:29 The world has been able to evolve to a point where biracial marriages are now very acceptable. Though, there's still a lot of stereotyping, it is much better than the former ages. I think it partly contributed to kalaya's situation.
Alice Ngugi wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 01:39 Now more than ever, it is acceptable. It's about time we chose humanity over the color of one's skin. Slowly, but surely, we will get there
Zinda Lukman wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 02:52 I think it is one of the factors that cause Kalayla's hardships. But, it is more acceptable now than in previous times. Although there may be cultural differences that may cause misunderstanding in this relationship.
It is advisable to find a spouse that can connect with you. Cultural differences should be opportunities to learn new things about the opposite side. Since Jamal had an understanding with Maureen, he was able to connect with her better. And hence there was no misunderstanding that would have come from their difference in culture.

Indeed in families where interracial marriages are not accepted, the individuals involved might be chased out and disowned, as it happened to Maureen. If you look at life differently, it is possible to care for someone regardless of their race, ethnicity, political affiliation, or social-economic abilities. Lena is a perfect example of what being unbiased can do to make other people's lives better.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

Interracial marriages are acceptable overall today. There are communities and individuals that have problem with them. I believe being biracial played some role in the experiences of Kalayla.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

In today's time and age, it is acceptable to be happy with whoever you choose. But there are some countries where tradition is more prioritized than modernization. There, they very much care about the race, color, culture and religion. I think complete acceptance all over the world will never be possible.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

In my part of the world inter-racial marriages are welcomed. In some regions of the world though they are taboo. I believe they are acceptable and its the differences that we have that make us beautiful. Even when God ordained Adam and Eve to fill the Earth and multiply he did not specify that it has to be strictly between people of the same race did he?
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Post by edztan15 »

I could be naive on this one, but I always thought that race-exclusive marriage is technically and biologically improbable today. Intercultural marriage is more of an issue, but in my opinion, love should transcend race, culture, and even religion.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

There is nothing wrong with interracial marriages. Although things are seemingly better now - racism is still present even in today's society as evidenced by issues that continue to make headlines even in the US. In Kalayla's situation being biracial was just one of other factors that contributed to her troubles especially considering the time period of the story.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Ledi Daniel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ledi Daniel »

Interracial relationship and marriage are becoming less controversial for several reasons including, awareness and social political influence. Jeannie doesn't delve into it extensively, but you can see kalaya's insecurities stemming from it.
Bueblue1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bueblue1 »

Interracial marriage
Helo everyone .I think interracial marriage can be a good or/and bad thing
Good in the sense that it's an adventure,you get to learn different ways of living and culture experience from each other as a couple and if your in love it works perfectly however we cannot lie and think that racism is a minor thing there are those countries whose mandate is racism so it becomes difficult whenyourmarried to such because evening your partner is fine with you but the sorounding people might not feel that way to the extent that you end up living a horrified life.
Worst case scenario is if racism can lead to brutal killings. :techie-studyinggray:
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 02:59 Kalayla is biracial. What's your viewpoint on interracial marriages, especially in the present day? Do you think it's acceptable? Could it have contributed to the painful experiences that Kalayla goes through?
I'd like to believe that in these modern times interracial marriage is very much acceptable. I think we have all grown out of the beliefs we used to have. Interracial marriage would surely have been met with criticisms and disagreement if it happened decades ago. I have to say though that it may have contributed to Kalayla's problems.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Interracial marriages are not as widely accepted yet as we may have hoped, but we have come a long way from before. This was only possible due to the struggle faced by women like Kalayla.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”