Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
DominikaS
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominikas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by DominikaS »

I've not read a lot of the book yet, so i can't say a lot, but i really enjoy the writing style of the author and how the characters were depicted.
Peggy911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggy911.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Peggy911 »

Read this book sometime ago and I must say this is a very interesting and amazing book. I love how Kalayla is outspoken and grown. I love how the book is a family based story. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, its really a beautiful piece.
rubal 28 sharma 7
Currently Reading: Truth or Dare
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubal-28-sharma-7.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by rubal 28 sharma 7 »

I haven't completed it yet but I can say that so far it's a good read. The characters and the story is quite realistic. The writer has done a good job.
Hilda Gatwiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-gatwiri.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Gatwiri »

This is an amzing book with great female characters. The book is about traumas, regrets, friendships, finding happiness. I loved the statement "family is not always biological". I would recommend this book to anyone who would love to go on a generational family journey.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Kalayla was like a family saga to me, and it touched upon many important themes that is easily relatable in our everyday lives. It dragged on for me, but Kalayla's coming of age story was one to cry over. It's important to see through her eyes as a child and witness how her feelings have changed over time. Forgiveness is important, the author really emphasized on that point.
Literaryfun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literaryfun.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Literaryfun »

I enjoy books like Kalaya since it is a character driven novel with 3 very interesting main characters. The depth of characters is good so far. Looking forward to seeing what happens later in the book!
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The book deserves perfect full star rating. It has a very unique story featuring feminist struggles. The emotional aspect of the book is extremely deep. Kalaya is a character that has so much potential to it. The best thing about the book is how beautifully the author has inter-woven elements like racism, sexism, honesty, forgiveness, love and redemption. There is nothing to dislike about the book. The name of the book "Kalaya" itself was quite appealing, along-with the cover that I found to be so charming.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

The page layout, font, and margins are perfect. I read the entire book on my phone. All characters are vastly explained and given a platform to express themselves. Jeannie got me involved in understanding the different behaviors of the individuals who made up the whole. And although Kalayla stood out from the rest, Lena has taught me practical lessons. I enjoyed the book and disliked nothing about it. I went ahead to recommended it to my friends. Thank you, Jeannie, for making such an engaging reading experience. My coffee has been darker, and my sit warmer. I wish Kalayla was a sequel.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I would award it a full star rating. What I love the most is the lesson drawn from it—family must not be by blood. That's my major take-home from here. I also love the name, Kalayla.
Eugenia36Nicholas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eugenia36Nicholas »

I am so grateful for all the comments here. I suspect you can imagine that writing this book was an emotional experience for me. There were times when I actually said, "I can't write that--please don't ask so much of me," to the characters. And yet, I did write it.
Please know that I am fully aware there are errors of word omission, hypens, and misplaced words in a few places in the book. I have made all these corrections, and Formatting Experts has the book right now. They promise to send me the new version this week, and I will be able to up-load it (I hope) by early next week. So any new reader will have the 2020 version, both e/book and paperback.
I apologize that you have read a version with erros that were there
because I rushed to get the book out. In the sequel (which the characters insist I will be writing soon), I will take my time and spare you my learning curve. I promise. Thank you for spreading the word of Kalayla!
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

If you are familiar to the book The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, you will be reminded of that book while reading this book. Both book teaches us, to summarize, about life. You will also find yourself smiling and maybe laughing at some scenes. This book suits today's mind of young children as they are all growing up smart now. Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is definitely 4 out 4 stars.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

The story is very relatable, as it was easy to connect to the main character, and there are also lessons readers can pick up. I'll definitely be recommending this to my friends.
Rachelreadit3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelreadit3.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: Chromebook

Post by Rachelreadit3 »

I just finished this book last week, and gave it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the different perspectives from a young girl, middle aged mom, and an older grandmother who have all gone through trials in their lives and managed to come out ok. Although, I was distracted by the repetitive nature of speach for Kalayla and Lena. Also, the strong language the little girl had throughout the book was unneccesary and and had no basis of where she learned to speak like that. I have mixed feelings on if I would reccomend this book to any one I know. Some would love the plot but the dialog is what makes the book hard to get through. I would choose carefully whom to suggest it to.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

I'm almost done reading this book, nevertheless, I'm ready for its rating. I think it's a great book that covers different themes: race, settlements, tragedy and family drama. Furthermore, I think it's centered on finding happiness.

A Book that covers such doesn't deserve anything less than 4 out of 4 stars
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

I finally finished reading Kalayla! And am so glad I read this book. The three female characters - Lena, Maureen and Kalayla - are very well-developed. The plot is lovely and the narration will make you root for them, cry with them and cheer for them. This book covers so many different aspects of our society - racial injustice, domestic abuse, homophobia, and most importantly shows the lengths mothers can go for their children. Women can be silently resilient, persevere through the tough times and come out of it through grace and dignity and these women do just that. These women go through traumas, regrets and hardships. The friendships they have reminded me of The Reel Sisters - thas book too depicted female friendships across generations. My heart was full when I saw them happy and content. Not to forget that apart from the three main women, other characters were also well-written!
This story will stay with you. I rate it a very well-deserved four out of four stars!

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”