Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the September 2020 Book of the month, Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.

* This topic is for those who read the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I think it's a really good book that cuts across race, sentiments, child upbringing, family and finding happiness.
The best thing about this book is that it is realistic and relatable. It features life's daily challenges and circumstances. One is also able to flow and sympathize with the characters. This, is one of the characteristics of a good book.
Obviously it's not a fast-paced or action-filled book. It's more of an interesting book that might cause you to reflect on the things (and people) around you.
Live and let live, baby.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I have only gotten through the first few chapters, but so far I am really enjoying this book, and as of right now I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Eugenia36Nicholas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eugenia36Nicholas »

Yes, KALAYLA is a book about characters who are living through UGH realities with humor, tears, anger, hope, joy--all those messy emotions that fill our daily lives from adolescence to old age.
I read a lot of books. Some of them for escape--the Lee Child or Michael Connolly types which grab me for the moment. Others are quieter and slower moving, like William Kent Krueger's that I stay with because I like his characters. I was a longtime fan of George R.R. Martin's endless character list, but I'm tired of waiting for his conclusion to Game of Thrones.
When it came to writing KALAYLA, I wasn't sure what direction the writing would take until the characters starting talking in my head. Eventually I realized it was going to be their story, told in their voices. And just for the record, although readers don't usually focus on the men in the book, they are really important even though they don't get the air time that Kalayla, Maureen and Lena do.
Thanks for reading, and writing in. Jeannie
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

What I really loved most is the fact that family doesn't have to be those related by blood. I have had beautiful people who I call family and we are not from same tribe. I love how Kalayla was able to help little Lena. I would still rate it four stars
R Lefler
Currently Reading: Moby Dick;
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lefler.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Post by R Lefler »

I didn't think I'd like it, because it was a "slice of life" type book, and I don't normally read much outside of SFF or classics. But there's something charming about the way it shows different generations coming together. Like older people have a lot to learn from the young and vice versa. I also liked the way Kalayla talks like a normal kid and is very funny! It can be hard for adult writers to write realistic diction for kids.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Zubayydah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zubayydah.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zubayydah »

I agree with that. I think it is a good message to pass across in this time of racial tension. We are family, despite our differing appearances.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I rated it three out of four stars. The reason why is not a perfect rating are several grammatical errors, as well as middle part of the book which draged a bit. Otherwise, this is an excellent fiction novel. The topics that range from family, abuse, grief, friendship, motherhood, forgiveness, race, sexuality are all done amazingly. Even though the author put this book in 1999/2000 the setting could be easily be now. For all readers who like multi generational family based story, I highly recommend it.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
ohlendorfbe
Favorite Book: The Piano Man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlendorfbe.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ohlendorfbe »

"Kalayla" is different from the books I usually read, but I found myself really enjoying it. It was good to see the story develop through the eyes of each of the three main characters instead of just one. I loved the symbiotic relationship between the characters, especially between Lena and Kalayla. I didn't appreciate the vulgar language, but I realize that it was probably very realistic. I would definitely give it 4 out of 4 stars.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I loved reading this book and had a difficult time putting it down. I learned a couple of lessons from Lena's determination to not give up on Kaylayla like she had with her own boys: 1) You can't force people to change anymore than we force them to stay the same; and 2) it takes courage to admit you're wrong. I would definitely recommend this book because it clearly demonstrates how different generations think.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Allen Cheque
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allen-cheque.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Allen Cheque »

I really enjoyed reading the book, and I must say that Kalayla sounds a bit too grown up and smart for her age. I was constantly baffled by how outspoken and brave she was. All in all, I'd give the book 4 out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

This is an amazing book. I enjoyed every chapter and every character. Seeing Kalayla grow from a lonely little girl with a chip on her shoulder to a lovely giving person with a sense of responsibility was so enjoyable. This is the first book I have actually cried over in a long time. When she found out that her grandparents rejected her and they didn't want to know her or have her in their lives, I just couldn't stand it. Then the way she put aside her bitterness so easily and reconciled with her grandfather was very touching. I also liked the way she and Kieran found each other so quickly and were fast friends.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I've only read a few chapters of Kalayla so far and I think it's an interesting book. It covers so many important issues. Plus I like the way the story's written because it lets the reader really get into the characters mind.
Loads Rails
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Loads Rails »

I loved reading Kalayla because of its amazing character. I wish could be like her that when someone does wrong to me, I just forgive like how he did to her grandfather. When the name Kalayla sounds sweet in my ears. It is quiet intriguing.
Eugenia36Nicholas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eugenia36Nicholas »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:27 I rated it three out of four stars. The reason why is not a perfect rating are several grammatical errors, as well as middle part of the book which draged a bit. Otherwise, this is an excellent fiction novel. The topics that range from family, abuse, grief, friendship, motherhood, forgiveness, race, sexuality are all done amazingly. Even though the author put this book in 1999/2000 the setting could be easily be now. For all readers who like multi generational family based story, I highly recommend it.
A corrected version of Kalayla was posted 9/13/20 for OLBC reviewers, etc.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”