Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

This would be a perfect example of whatever is different is weird and abnormal. People point fingers at whatever deviates from the norm. Maybe some people just don't want to acknowledge that something could be wrong with them, or more kindly - that there's a part of their life that they might need help with. In another scenario, they might just be afraid of the social implications. Suppose they just don't know that that's what afflicting them. Stigmatization may just as well be one of those factors.
Moocow1213
Currently Reading: Empath Ebook
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moocow1213.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moocow1213 »

I think that stigma can cause people to not get diagnosed or to go to their doctors. However I do believe that stigma isn’t the only cause of this, and not getting diagnosed/going to the doctor for anxiety can also be because of your own self beliefs, like ‘not believing there is anything wrong’ but it can also be caused by other circumstances as well.
Student, book obsessed and a spiritual individual
'Trust the process'
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Stigmatization could be one of the reasons anxiety sufferers would delay seeking help. Another reason could be a denial of a problem or an inability to recognize the symptoms of anxiety.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think people suffer with anxiety and don’t get treatment for many reasons. Part of it is fear of being labeled or stigmatized. People with mental health issues are often seen as weak or broken. Also, people don’t seek treatment because they think they can handle it alone and they don’t want to ask for help. Some people even believe what they are experiencing is normal and will never change.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

One hundred percent. Anxiety causes stigmatization because it causes fear. The broad definition of anxiety is- Fear of impending doom or the unknown future. When you have anxiety, you are naturally scared to take decisions in your life- even for treating anxiety! This is one major trap. People get accustomed to sleeping pills and anti-depressants, and they find their comfort zone with these medicines.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I think it's not easy to ask for help because we don't want to admit something's wrong. I didn't talk about my stress and anxiety for many years until it pretty much burst out of me and couldn't hide anymore. I think when a person suffers with anxiety, they are often stigmatizing themselves. They judge themselves and act in a disapproving way towards themselves. I know this was certainly the case with me.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Dominik_G wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 04:27 I believe — and the authors also mentioned this — people often don't know they are suffering from excessive anxiety or stress. I mean, they might think "ah, this is how my mind works, I always worry too much" but they might not be aware that it's not a rigid and unchangeable personality trait so they don't even think about seeking treatment of any kind. That said, I do believe being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder might come with the risk of also being stigmatized for it. Sadly, this tends to be the case with mental health issues in our current society.
I agree with you. Without the diagnosis they would probably not be as stigmatized but this days a lot of people know better and there is more awareness on mental health issues.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I think that stigmatization is the principal sign of anxiety because that goes to show the presence of fear and worry. Yes, you are the two are related.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

Stigmatization happens mostly in areas where there is little awareness about mental disorders.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Nerea wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 12:28 There is a part where the author mentions that “most people will suffer from an anxiety disorder for at least ten years without seeking help”. Does it mean people living with anxiety disorder might also be suffering from stigmatization? Or something else is causing them not to seek help?
There is certain stage anxiety would get to and it would seem to be normal to the patient or sometimes they have no one to relate to and share their feelings with.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I believe it can be denial or ignorance more than stigmatization.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

Dominik_G wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 04:27 I believe — and the authors also mentioned this — people often don't know they are suffering from excessive anxiety or stress. I mean, they might think "ah, this is how my mind works, I always worry too much" but they might not be aware that it's not a rigid and unchangeable personality trait so they don't even think about seeking treatment of any kind. That said, I do believe being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder might come with the risk of also being stigmatized for it. Sadly, this tends to be the case with mental health issues in our current society.
Wonderful point, I thinks some people are not just award of it.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Actually those who have anxiety disorder may not seek help because they may know that the issue they have is as a result of anxiety or stress. Before I read this book I never knew that stress was something very serious that could lead to other issues relating to health. So may people are so ignorant and unconcerned about their stress level. I don't think stigmatization is a reason why people with anxiety disorder choose not to open up about it.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

I believe those with anxiety disorder are usually stigmatized. Some people treat their anxiety as a common problem and therefore feels that it would come and go like it usually does for them. This removes any thought of getting a solution for it.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

Yes. Stigmatization is linked to anxiety because it depends on the upbringing of the individual.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”