Lessons to be inferred

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Re: Lessons to be inferred

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I feel that self-knowledge is the key when it comes to reducing anxiety and stress. To know beforehand how you react and to what exactly you tend to react might help in recognizing the situations when you're in danger to create anxiety. Important lesson was also that we can not necessarily affect our surroundings, but we can affect how we react to them. But what I really haven't thought before reading this book is how much what we eat can affect to our stress levels... :shock: I found myself checking the contents of my plate constantly after reading this book...
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I learnt that a lot of things can befall a human being. Trials and tribulations will come, but it is how one reacts to them that determines how happy and relaxed you will be.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Nidhi_391005 wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 12:13 The lesson I learnt from this book is that we need to identify our problems first. What is causing stress? This is the biggest question. After that we have to find a solution. How we will be able to reduce stress. There are lots of option as mentioned in the book but we need to find the one suitable for us. Talking to people also helps. We also need to understand that problems can be solved, big or small. We don't need to stress about it.
Yes, that is true stress management is one of the key factors to effect our stress levels. Finding the behavioral changes affected by stress are important. Then drawing that stress into something of a positive experience can bring us satisfaction. Stress management is without a doubt one of the most intriguing parts of the book.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Adanna Inya wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 02:48 I learned that we should be more attuned to self. You're your first helper, so if you don't realize that there's a problem, often times than not, others won't realize. So always take a step back, take stock, and reevaluate how you're doing mentally.
Yes, that is true. In many cases, even if one realizes that there is a problem. Many are not able to express themselves. What do you think a person can do in these times? I think writing a journal can take the weight off your solders. What is your opinion?
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I believe the take away is balance. If we can find balance in our stress reactions, such as stress eating, we also need to have time balance, allowing time to relax and exercise. A balanced lifestyle would do us all good, especially in these very stressful times.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
antilochos
Currently Reading: How to Define Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by antilochos »

What probably shocked me the most is the fact that shoulder pain can be a symptom of anxiety. I remember that during my anxiety attacks, I feel shoulder pain and numbness although I just ignored it. I just thought it's because of my sleeping position. (I sleep in my side.)
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

Self-control is a vital part of human redevelopment. How we react to situations we find ourselves in determines our vulnerability level.
MajestyBooky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majestybooky.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by MajestyBooky »

The biggest lesson i took home was that we are all ultimately responsible for our health and well-being. No one else.

If nothing works for you, leave them all and find something that does.
Jbonds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbonds.html
Latest Review: Diamond in the Desert by Karen Gilleland

Post by Jbonds »

Medication is a personal choice in dealing with anxiety but it is not the only choice.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Howlan wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 14:23
Adanna Inya wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 02:48 I learned that we should be more attuned to self. You're your first helper, so if you don't realize that there's a problem, often times than not, others won't realize. So always take a step back, take stock, and reevaluate how you're doing mentally.
Yes, that is true. In many cases, even if one realizes that there is a problem. Many are not able to express themselves. What do you think a person can do in these times? I think writing a journal can take the weight off your solders. What is your opinion?
A journal is very essential, and I don't mean e-journals. Traditional diaries with pen. With e-journals, you can just absentmindedly type in anything. But when you put pen to paper, your mind is actively involved at that point, which is very important. If you're not the type to discuss your business with a confidant, use a journal. I own a few.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 05:34 Nerea wrote:
> Among the anxiety symptoms mentioned in the book, I didn’t know neck pain,
> face pain, shoulder pain, and dry mouth are symptoms of anxiety until I
> read them from the book.

I did. The book just reinforced the idea. I've had times in my life where I had to cancel on clients because I just couldn't move around or get anything done. Physical pain is a real source of anxiety.
Physical pain can be a huge inhibitor to your success. If you can't manage your time effectively, and it affects your productivity, then it can lead to chronic stress levels. Gustavo makes it clear by giving the common red flags to watch out for.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

gatuguta2030 wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 13:08 I learned that I should be in a position to establish the cause of anxiety and stress. That will help in getting a solution.
Gustavo MD impressively states that the easiest path to take in dealing with stress and anxiety no matter on which level it is at is by finding the source of the problem and making the necessary adjustments as advised.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

gatuguta2030 wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 13:15 It was enlightening on my eating habits. Eating habits affect the level of stress and anxiety.
Am now well informed on the benefit of eating well-balanced food instead of junk.
Indeed, poor eating habits like eating oversized portions and drinking sugary beverages all contribute to weight gain that can eventually lead to obesity. If it reaches that level, stress and anxiety kick in, and as suggested by Kinrys, good eating habits are beneficial.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

djr6090 wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 09:09 gatuguta2030 wrote:
> It was enlightening on my eating habits. Eating habits affect the level of stress and anxiety. Am now well informed on the benefit of eating well-balanced food instead of junk.

The eating habits, and herbal supplements are going on my bookshelf right next to Medellson's Vitamin Bible. I learned a lot from how the body processes certain chemicals that result in stress.
Earl Mindell's New Vitamin Bible and Gustavo's practical guide have impactful life-long lessons that can be shared and implemented. I find this book so helpful in its various ways to combat stress and anxiety.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:56 Dominik_G wrote:
> It was eye-opening to learn how much one's eating habits affect their
> levels of stress and anxiety, and how much a balanced, healthy diet can
> help. This seriously made me take a closer look at my own relationship with
> food.

I also didn't realize how much one's gut affects mental wellbeing. I have also been reconsidering my eating habits. I've looked into fasting, have you?
Yes, I've tried fasting at a low level. It creates discipline, which is a good step to applying the practical lessons provided by Kinrys. I haven't tried intermittent fasting, have you?

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”