Lessons to be inferred

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Re: Lessons to be inferred

Post by Nkoo »

I learned about breathing exercises, kinds of breathing exercises, and how to do them correctly for optimal results. I try them whenever I need to and I enjoy them. They cost nothing.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Adanna Inya wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 21:50
Howlan wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 14:23
Adanna Inya wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 02:48 I learned that we should be more attuned to self. You're your first helper, so if you don't realize that there's a problem, often times than not, others won't realize. So always take a step back, take stock, and reevaluate how you're doing mentally.
Yes, that is true. In many cases, even if one realizes that there is a problem. Many are not able to express themselves. What do you think a person can do in these times? I think writing a journal can take the weight off your solders. What is your opinion?
A journal is very essential, and I don't mean e-journals. Traditional diaries with pen. With e-journals, you can just absentmindedly type in anything. But when you put pen to paper, your mind is actively involved at that point, which is very important. If you're not the type to discuss your business with a confidant, use a journal. I own a few.
Do you really feel there is that much of a difference on e-journals and traditional dairies? I own both I have felt both to work the same. I felt that they both helped in facing my emotions and making me understand myself better.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:33
Jachike Samuelson wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 05:34 Nerea wrote:
> Among the anxiety symptoms mentioned in the book, I didn’t know neck pain,
> face pain, shoulder pain, and dry mouth are symptoms of anxiety until I
> read them from the book.

I did. The book just reinforced the idea. I've had times in my life where I had to cancel on clients because I just couldn't move around or get anything done. Physical pain is a real source of anxiety.
Physical pain can be a huge inhibitor to your success. If you can't manage your time effectively, and it affects your productivity, then it can lead to chronic stress levels. Gustavo makes it clear by giving the common red flags to watch out for.
Yes, these red flags were some of the most resourceful things for me in this book. These kind of small pains may seem as easy to deal with at first but these signs generally add up to give a lot of stress to n individual. These symptoms helped me identify problems I had never considered symptoms os stress before. I found the book very much relatable.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:34
gatuguta2030 wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 13:08 I learned that I should be in a position to establish the cause of anxiety and stress. That will help in getting a solution.
Gustavo MD impressively states that the easiest path to take in dealing with stress and anxiety no matter on which level it is at is by finding the source of the problem and making the necessary adjustments as advised.
Yes, he lays the problem and also establishes the solution to the problem. The way he states that you need to view the stress is not something negative but rather positive is really a great advice. Channeling your stressful energy int soemthing positive is a great source of inspiration.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:35
gatuguta2030 wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 13:15 It was enlightening on my eating habits. Eating habits affect the level of stress and anxiety.
Am now well informed on the benefit of eating well-balanced food instead of junk.
Indeed, poor eating habits like eating oversized portions and drinking sugary beverages all contribute to weight gain that can eventually lead to obesity. If it reaches that level, stress and anxiety kick in, and as suggested by Kinrys, good eating habits are beneficial.
Yes, generally in stress, people carve sugary foods and which results in a hormonal reaction which causes you to not take in the effect of the calories you are consuming as you crave more food. Following a proper diet and a strong mental fortitude will help you solve this problem.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:35
djr6090 wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 09:09 gatuguta2030 wrote:
> It was enlightening on my eating habits. Eating habits affect the level of stress and anxiety. Am now well informed on the benefit of eating well-balanced food instead of junk.

The eating habits, and herbal supplements are going on my bookshelf right next to Medellson's Vitamin Bible. I learned a lot from how the body processes certain chemicals that result in stress.
Earl Mindell's New Vitamin Bible and Gustavo's practical guide have impactful life-long lessons that can be shared and implemented. I find this book so helpful in its various ways to combat stress and anxiety.
Earl Mindell's New Vitamin Bible is this book as good and relatable as the one by Gustavo? How do you think Gustavo's book is defferent from Earl Mindell's New Vitamin Bible?
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:37
anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:56 Dominik_G wrote:
> It was eye-opening to learn how much one's eating habits affect their
> levels of stress and anxiety, and how much a balanced, healthy diet can
> help. This seriously made me take a closer look at my own relationship with
> food.

I also didn't realize how much one's gut affects mental wellbeing. I have also been reconsidering my eating habits. I've looked into fasting, have you?
Yes, I've tried fasting at a low level. It creates discipline, which is a good step to applying the practical lessons provided by Kinrys. I haven't tried intermittent fasting, have you?
I have done intermittent fasting and it was after getting recommended by a friend. Fasting itself builds discipline and the main reason for doing fasting is to keep a proper eating habit. It disciplines you if you are about to go through it properly in the first two weeks, then it becomes ingrained in your body and it becomes like a routine. I have been at it for two months now, I do not have any problem now.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Howlan wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:26 Echez_ wrote:
> Obviuosly, I got to know about some symptoms of anxiety especially 'neck
> pain'. Before now, sometimes I see my body exhibiting some of these symptom
> without knowing its signs of stress and anxiety. Finally, I understand that
> my reaction to some certain things can help in preventing myself from
> entering into stress. I learnt that sometimes I need to work away.

Yes, I was also intrigued by the symptom of "Difficulty Swallowing" I never accounted that anxiety can have such an effect on the muscles of the throat. It was a real eye-opener for me.
I was also surprised that dry mouth is a symptom of stress and anxiety. The 14 symptoms explained by Gustavo are things we often overlook on a daily basis.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:28 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> djr6090 wrote:
> > I like the quote, "Pain is inevitable, but suffering is
> > optional." This seemed to sum up the self-care theme of the book.
>
> Gustavo had the right timing for each topic and quote. I like this one too. It means
> that we all go through pain sometimes. But what we allow the pain o do to us might
> result in suffering.

Yes, such quotes are really a key feature of this book. Not only that the examples he puts forwards are also very good. For example, “Whеn уоu аrе tеnѕе оr аnxiоuѕ, grаѕр thiѕ bаnd аnd tоу with it, рlасing уоur аnxiеtу into the rubbеr band” was a great example and simple to understand.
My favorite excerpt is as follows, "since anxiety can cause a variety of physical and mental symptoms, it is wise to seek the advice of your health care professional if these symptoms are affecting your daily life."
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:30 Nwaogazie Goodness wrote:
> Perception matters. What we understand and also practice has a way of
> affecting us, whether positively or otherwise.

Yes, perception is a real key in dealing with anxiety and stress. The way we perceive things can help us reduce stress or increase it. It is a real example that an optimistic person is less stressful than a pessimistic one.
I believe it all depends on your definition of an optimistic and pessimistic person. At times negativity assists us to make adjustments before anticipated stress and anxiety, while again being optimistic might influence us to overlook such situations.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:33 Vic Chimezie wrote:
> rahilshajahan wrote:
> > The main lesson I took home was "Although we cannot have complete
> > control over external events, we can control how we react to them."
> > Anyway, I was curious as to what other ideas everyone else may have picked
> > up on?
> Same here for me! It is not what happens to you that matters. It is what you do with
> it. One should focus on the controllable over what you have no power to change.

Yes, this quote caught my attention too! It is mainly the way we rate our experiences. If we are unable to take out a positive experience from it, It really starts to affect us and can result in stress.
Ultimately our attitude affects how we perceive the practical lessons given by Gustavo MD. If we have a good attitude, it will be easy for us to enforce them.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 05:27 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> Chikom wrote:
> > Problem identification is the the first step to relieving stresss. You must
> > be aware the cause of the problem then take necessary precautions to
> > healing. I think this is a message i must share with my peers.
>
> I agree with you. And as advised by the author, the implications from a stressful
> situation can be reduced by solving the source of the stress.

Yes, and mentioned in the book, we can devise a stress-tolerant attitude in which we can view stress as a positive response. Viewing stress as constructive can help us reduce the problems that caused the stress in the first place.
Sure, stress and anxiety are a part of our lives. Just as recommended in this practical guide, it's therefore important to embrace them when they come and deal with them appropriately,
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I learnt to dictate the cause of the stress, by so doing doing, it will help me to tackle it effectively with the right guides, bearing in mind that, it may lead to something more serious and detrimental to my health.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

Howlan wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 23:16 I was influenced by the breathing lessons mentioned in this book. Having done these before, I was quite interested in seeing all the great and useful effects it has on your body. Especially the section "Magic Bullet" was interesting and helped me understand all the numerous positive effects it has on the body, like improving memory and awareness and clearing negative thoughts.
Having undergone massive stress and illness due to stress, one of the main tools I use to combat the symptoms now is the breathing. It was a very difficult skill to learn at first, but now I can do it almost imperceptibly, and its effects occur almost immediately.
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Adebi »

I learnt that one can live with anxiety and still be normal and can overcome it

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”