Is it practical?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Is it practical?

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:55
anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:52 I agree, the book is definitely full of practical advice, but personal situations differ. I think experimenting with CBT on your own is totally fine, but if you're concerned you need more help you should see a professional. I definitely think those struggling with anxiety should try these natural approaches before medication.
The main goal of this book is to equip the reader with simple but impactful solutions that are practical in resolving stress and anxiety. As you've stated, medical assistance should always be considered if the situation worsens.
To add to your notion of 'main goal', I think it is to help the reader in times when the medical professional is not available and you need to hold down the fort on your own. Also, deciding when the situation starts to get worse is not easy in the first place.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Tsholo2030 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 08:15 I agree, it is a practical guide as one can get assistance from it. I believe it is very informative about how to deal with anxiety. There's no need for one to go spend lots of money even whereas there's a book to help you out.
Nope I do not think this book is as reliable as you make it out to be. Most techniques are not effective without the help of professionals. Others like hydration and the lot make much little change in your stress level. So, do not take your stress lightly and go for the advice of medical professional without whole-heartedly relying on any book.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

iknwuzoh wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:35 Many substances are edible but not all are suitable for human consumption. Proper dieting can help prevent some ailments. Prevention to an extent is much better than cure. Yes, it is practical.
Yes, but you need the help of a dietician or a proper guide to get an idea about how you follow the diet. In this book, the most that is mentioned is what are the foods you should eat, it does not clearly outline your whole diet, so if you eat somethings which can help and eat other things which can negate the effect of the former, then it is of no use.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 02:09 OptimisticNihilist wrote:
> This is indeed a practical book. It can be considered as a self-help book
> and can be a reliable reference on relieving anxiety and stress. But only a
> reference. It is not a subtitute for professional help.

That is certainly true. Reading a book may not be able to convey all the different side effects caused by different persons in different situations, so professional advice should be rated highly.
Even though reading this book may not convey all solutions to stress and anxiety, it's a quick reference that can help prevent a build-up of the two conditions.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 05:33 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> docfatima wrote:
> > The non medicated techniques can be practically applied by all those facing
> > mild anxiety. If these fail, the reader can seek medical advice and act
> > accordingly.
>
> True, the practicality of this book extends to the reader. Some might choose to seek
> medical attention at an early stage, while others may choose not to. Nevertheless,
> Kinrys has cautioned readers from taking this book as the ultimate solution to all
> their stress and anxiety problems.

Yes, so it is totally dependant on the reader how he wishes to use this one. It has great remedies that can give you a better understanding of stress and anxiety problems in general. But while you apply them, yous should keep a lookout for possible side-effects which can be harmful to your health, so you should take professional advice if you wish to take medication as the remedy of your stress.
Gustavo MD, clearly states that this book shouldn't be used as a final and ultimate resource for eliminating stress and anxiety. Medication may be required for chronic conditions.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Fazzier wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 06:21 For most people, this is indeed practical. It is practical for people who still have some sense of control left in their lives. But for people whose stress and anxieties have soared to astronomical heights, a one-by-one professional help alongside this book will be needed.
It's clear that preventing stress and anxiety is the best way to avoid seeking medical assistance. I hope this book will impact all readers to make better choices.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

iknwuzoh wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:35 Many substances are edible but not all are suitable for human consumption. Proper dieting can help prevent some ailments. Prevention to an extent is much better than cure. Yes, it is practical.
Food contributes to your overall health. If not taken properly, it can also be a source of stress and anxiety.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Tsholo2030 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 08:15 I agree, it is a practical guide as one can get assistance from it. I believe it is very informative about how to deal with anxiety. There's no need for one to go spend lots of money even whereas there's a book to help you out.
Your statement is true, but you should also note that this book should not replace the need to seek medical help if the situation gets out of hand.
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Adebi »

I think the book is very practical for one with mild anxiety issues but in severe cases we really should consider professional help
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

The solutions in this book are indeed practical.This book has helped me on a personal level. But if you feel that your mental state is constantly exacerbating, then I recommend seeing a doctor.
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

The book is practical as one can borrow some techniques to apply but if the case of anxiety and stress is severe then one needs to seek professional help.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 11:18 I believe it IS a practical guide. However, I don't think the author meant for it to be a substitute for professional diagnosis and management. It is rather an ancillary tool to specialized medical help.
My thoughts exactly. It is meant to be a practical guide as stated, a helpful tool to support professional medical diagnosis.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

I think the purpose of the book is to make the readers' situation relatable while reading the book and encourage them either seek help or practice self-treatment.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

I think it's a precautionary guide to improve your mental health rather than the guide to diagnose your mental illnesses. I think it helps you to know your triggers and try to deal with them before they become problematic!
Mitesh Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitesh-sharma.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Mitesh Sharma »

Although the book mentions all the practical ways to reduce stress and anxiety, a person suffering to an extreme extent will need some external support to apply the ideas in his/her life as the practicality of the ideas varies from person to person.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”