Official Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Doyle's Law" by Sam Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever stopped to think about time travel? Can you go back and change the past? Or will everything only happen as it is supposed to happen because it has already happened? Also, have you ever noticed that in time travel, sometimes the effect comes before the cause?

O'Connor is a caretaker on a space station. He and his crew have the task of dismantling the station for salvage. The lone scientist left, Ryburn, thinks he is about to make a breakthrough with a new ore from Mercury, but the caretakers keep getting in his way. O'Connor thinks Ryburn is crazy, but things start happening that are beyond his (or anyone's) control. After a series of unfortunate events, the salvage timeline must be pushed up; however, are three lone caretakers and one disgraced scientist worth rescuing?

Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts is a science fiction novel with almost 500 pages. While there are plenty of scenarios that will make your head spin, there is no graphic content. Thus, I would say that the book would be appropriate for teenagers up to adults, as the science is not overly difficult either.

While focused on time travel, this book is a bit different from many other similar novels. I appreciated the beauty and simplicity in the author's view of what happens when we travel through time. I don't want to give too much away, but I will say that there weren't any paradoxes or parallel universes like you see happening in other science fiction. Honestly, it was a breath of fresh air.

There are only a few characters that make up the whole of this novel. For the most part, they are well-fleshed out. I did get a bit frustrated with O'Connor as it seems like it takes him longer than would be normal to catch on and to realize how unreasonable he's being. However, I think this just showed his character's flaws, making him a more realistic character. Ryburn is the typical brilliant scientist, but he has his own vice. I wish we had a bit more background on some of the secondary characters because they didn't seem quite as three-dimensional. Still, it didn't really take away from the nature of the story.

The plot is fast moving in some ways; it does push you forward to continue reading. However, the book really only focuses on about three days. In that way, it could be construed as somewhat repetitive. It just has that "special something" that keeps you coming back for more. You want to be able to piece the whole puzzle of what is happening together. That won't happen until the very last page of the book.

Sadly, I must mention that the novel was not professionally edited. "He" is used for "his" in several occasions, and the author doesn't like to use the possessive form of the characters' names (e.g. "Ryburn" instead of "Ryburn's"). There were also instances of missing punctuation, often in the form of periods, commas, or quotation marks after a character speaks. They were frequent enough for me to take notice (even if I was not counting for this review), but they still didn't hamper my enjoyment of the story.

I rate Doyle's Law 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the editing, I'm unable to give it a perfect score. I would recommend it for anyone that enjoys science fiction, more specifically time travel. However, if you enjoy the typical paradoxes and viewing multiple timelines and don't want to break out of that mold, you might not want to read this one.

Moderator's Note: This book has been edited and professionally proofread since the review to fix the errors noted by the reviewer.
Doyle's Law
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While focused on time travel, this book is a bit different from many other similar novels. I appreciated the beauty and simplicity in the author's view of what happens when we travel through time. I don't want to give too much away, but I will say that there weren't any paradoxes or parallel universes like you see happening in other science fiction. Honestly, it was a breath of fresh air.
Though sci-fi is not my preferred genre, your description here intrigues me. Thanks for the interesting review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I do like stories about time travel. This sounds interesting as you didn't notice any paradoxes. It is also nice when there are a limited number of characters with adequate backstories. This book seems to have many positive qualities. Thanks for a great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 10:49
Though sci-fi is not my preferred genre, your description here intrigues me. Thanks for the interesting review.
It was difficult to describe this book without giving away all the details. It definitely wasn't your typical time travel novel though. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 14:54 I do like stories about time travel. This sounds interesting as you didn't notice any paradoxes. It is also nice when there are a limited number of characters with adequate backstories. This book seems to have many positive qualities. Thanks for a great review.
It was interesting. I would recommend it for a different take on time travel. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am astonished this 500-page book only spans three whole days. I am intrigued by the fast-paced plot considering the length covered.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

but I will say that there weren't any paradoxes or parallel universes like you see happening in other science fiction. Honestly, it was a breath of fresh air. I'm intrigued on how the author pulls off this time travel fiction with simplicity. This seems exciting!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jessacardinal wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 22:17 I am astonished this 500-page book only spans three whole days. I am intrigued by the fast-paced plot considering the length covered.
Yes, but there's a catch. You'll have to read to find out what it is. :) Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

nonamer_miss wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 08:28 but I will say that there weren't any paradoxes or parallel universes like you see happening in other science fiction. Honestly, it was a breath of fresh air. I'm intrigued on how the author pulls off this time travel fiction with simplicity. This seems exciting!
It was a completely different take on time travel. The name of the book is the law that they use for time travel. To find out what exactly it is, you'll have to read the book. I don't want to give anything away. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I do enjoy time travel stories from time to time, and this seems to be a decent one! It's a pity about the errors though. I'm also glad that this piece is a somewhat unique take that doesn't include paradoxes and the like; I'm definitely intrigued. Thanks for the review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

O is taking a roll in the snow at O YULED IT

_ _ _
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 00:10 I do enjoy time travel stories from time to time, and this seems to be a decent one! It's a pity about the errors though. I'm also glad that this piece is a somewhat unique take that doesn't include paradoxes and the like; I'm definitely intrigued. Thanks for the review!
It was definitely an interesting way to view time travel. It's so simple that I'm surprised I haven't seen more of it in science fiction books or movies. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 07:00 O is taking a roll in the snow at O YULED IT
Sorry, that was meant to be in the "What word am I thinking of?" thread. I am clearly trying to multitask too much.

I meant to say, I'm intrigued by this idea of time travel without paradoxes etc. Sounds as if the writer came up with something novel!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 13:07
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 07:00 O is taking a roll in the snow at O YULED IT
Sorry, that was meant to be in the "What word am I thinking of?" thread. I am clearly trying to multitask too much.

I meant to say, I'm intrigued by this idea of time travel without paradoxes etc. Sounds as if the writer came up with something novel!
I didn't answer because I had no idea what you were talking about. :) I thought it must have been the wrong thread. As for this book, it was so simple that it's absurd that it hasn't been done more. I've seen a lot about time travel, though, and I haven't really seen this before. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

"Have you ever stopped to think about time travel?" -- YES!

I love time travel stories, and yes, I'm very much used to the "parallel universes" and "alternate timelines" take on things. Seeing another approach on the matter might be interesting, but the editing errors you mentioned would definitely be annoying for me. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”