Official Review: Rufus by Jim Fayssoux

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: Rufus by Jim Fayssoux

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rufus" by Jim Fayssoux.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if humans discovered alien technology deep in the ocean that allowed us to travel back in time? What if you could discover the secret of how the pyramids were built? What if you could go back and carry the cross for Jesus? Most importantly, what if the aliens wanted their technology back? These incidents and more await readers in the science fiction novel, Rufus, by Jim Fayssoux.

It all begins when an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico finds a small, glasslike pyramid. The sides of the pyramid are 3.14159 inches long (the number pi), and it is not of this world. Eventually, the researchers discover that by projecting lasers into the crystal, they can see a holographic representation of past events. Further experimentation leads to the realization that this is a time machine and the right traveler could actually interact with the events. The project is turned over to a mysterious character, Dr. K. He reveals that this is not the first time a crystal like this has been on earth. In 1943 experiments on hiding ships from radar caused one to completely disappear and reappear 3 hours later. The scientists involved discover a 25-year cycle that allows crossover in time. So, twenty-five years later the ship appears, they send it back, and a spaceship appears with two dead aliens and a mysterious crystal. Two more aliens appear to retrieve the crystal. Now humans have another crystal to continue the experiments. The rest of the story is about recruiting a time traveler named Rufus and sending him on several missions. There are some great action scenes with alien attacks as two different species try to get the crystal. There is also an overriding mystery about who is funding this program and what their intentions really are.

My favorite parts of this book were the time travel scenes. The author obviously did research to make these sections authentic. It was interesting to see snippets in history and see how Rufus interacted with the past. However, he did not seem to be very worried about interfering with the timeline. He even takes a wife and starts a family at one point. There were some pretty surprising connections where events would not have turned out as they are portrayed in history books if the traveler had not been there. I always enjoy reading about such time travel paradoxes.

Unfortunately, the appealing plot was held back at times by several problems. First of all, the book was apparently not professionally edited. I found over ten errors, mostly related to commas, in the first twenty-five pages. I was glad to be able to quit counting at that point and try to ignore them. Also, the author has a habit of giving an extensive back-story and description of each character the first time they are introduced. It made the plot lag and interrupted the action. Additionally, there was an incident where the author switched from a character telling a story in first person to the narrator finishing it in third person. This too could have been caught and corrected by a good editor. Another glitch for me involved Dr. K who conveniently had created several pieces of technology necessary to make the time travel work. This included a universal translator. It would have been easier to suspend disbelief if they got the tools from different scientists. Lastly, more than one character uses the n-word when referring to the main character. Like cursing, this type of language can be appropriate to the scene at times, but this particular word is so derogatory that the story would be better without it.

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The premise had so much potential. Unfortunately, with the editing errors and plot dragging, I can only give it 2 out of 4 stars. There are some accurately described violent scenes, so anyone sensitive to that would want to pass on this book. However, with the help of a good editor, this would be a good book for science-fiction fans.

Rufus
View: on Bookshelves

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is a cool premise. Although, I feel like it's been done before, so this one really needed to be exceptional to stand out. What a pity it fell short.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This reminds me of another sci-fi novel I read, The Invasion of the Zernoplat. It's also about aliens and features a main character of colour. It's by an author with a different name, but surprisingly has the same errors and issues you mentioned. How strange. :eusa-think:
Nonetheless, great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this looks like it has promise. With all the editing issues and the overlong descriptions of the main characters, it doesn't sound like I'd enjoy it in its present form. I do hope the author takes care of some of the issues as I would consider picking it up at that point. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The book sounds interesting for the right reader. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the sci-fi genre. I do not care for extensive details pertaining to characters and settings either.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your opening paragraph had me hooked! I love it when authors come up with unique ideas! I am wondering how he would handle the alteration of history when Rufus goes back in time. How did he avoid doing something that would affect his being born in the future? Looks like this one is a winner for me! Thanks.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

the author has a habit of giving an extensive back-story and description of each character the first time they are introduced. It made the plot lag and interrupted the action.
I agree. TMI often ruin the overall flow of the story. Thanks for an insightful review!
Jackie Holycross

Ever_Reading wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 03:14 This reminds me of another sci-fi novel I read, The Invasion of the Zernoplat. It's also about aliens and features a main character of colour. It's by an author with a different name, but surprisingly has the same errors and issues you mentioned. How strange. :eusa-think:
Nonetheless, great review!
That is quite odd. Thanks for stopping by.
Jackie Holycross

kdstrack wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 16:47 Your opening paragraph had me hooked! I love it when authors come up with unique ideas! I am wondering how he would handle the alteration of history when Rufus goes back in time. How did he avoid doing something that would affect his being born in the future? Looks like this one is a winner for me! Thanks.
That's what was weird. They just seemed to ignore the whole not corrupting the timeline concept.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Sadly, this sounds like yet another interesting idea suffering from poor development and not-so-good editing. Curious though, did Rufus go back and carry the cross?
Jackie Holycross

Dael Reader wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 17:08 Sadly, this sounds like yet another interesting idea suffering from poor development and not-so-good editing. Curious though, did Rufus go back and carry the cross?
Yep - he takes the name of Simon and ends up being the Simon.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The plot sounds unique, but the loopholes in the book put me off. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise is really fascinating, but it's unfortunate that it fell short in so many areas! Still, thanks for the lovely review, teacherjh!
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

Nice review. I wonder on time-travel. Too bad for the errors. I like those scenes of -appear-disappear. For sometimes in our life we want like that. Hehehe to appear and disappear.
Jackie Holycross

gen_g wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 02:46 The premise is really fascinating, but it's unfortunate that it fell short in so many areas! Still, thanks for the lovely review, teacherjh!
Thanks for the compliment and the comment. 8-)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”