Official Review: Faculty of Matter by Carl Freeman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Faculty of Matter by Carl Freeman

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Faculty of Matter" by Carl Freeman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Faculty of Matter is a mind-twisting science fiction book by Carl Freeman. The book is set in the future where artificial intelligence (or alternate intelligence) has made great advances, creating a world where the possibilities are limitless.

Jay Maison discovers that humans have been lied to. He learns that alternate intelligence (AIs) are capable of lying and manipulation. This discovery happens when he uncovers that a defect in his DNA has been purposely hidden from him. This defect in his DNA allows him special abilities to control his subconscious mind and enter peoples dreams. All the while, earth is caught in the middle of an alien war. Little does Jay realise that he might just be the only hope for the survival of all the universes in existence.

At 443 pages, The Faculty of Matter is quite a lengthy book, and this might put some readers off. The author's seemingly borderless imagination is what kept me reading on. Many of the concepts in the book are mind-boggling; sadly, they are also underdeveloped. This may be due to the sheer number of ideas and substories within the book. It appeared the author had a dozen plots to explore and decided to cram them all into one book. There was so much going on that I found it hard to piece it all together at times, requiring that I turn back a couple of pages to remind myself where the plot was headed or to try to figure out what the significance of a certain scene was. At times, certain pieces of information were only clarified later. I hated this, because I felt like I was guessing what was going on in a few scenes.

On the positive side of things. I do believe science fiction readers will enjoy this book due to its imaginative exploration of technology, science, the universe, consciousness, matter, and dark matter. I was awed by the idea of cloning an individual, then downloading and uploading their memories and personality into a blank AI brain, and putting this brain into the clone.

Another positive was the successful use of the element of suspense. For example, Jay works hard to find fragments of his girlfriend's recurring dream, hoping it will uncover the person responsible for her parents' tragic death. As he got closer to solving the mystery, I became more and more engrossed.

Overall, the development of the story was engaging. Had the flow of events been improved upon, then this would have been a stellar book. Although I did not enjoy it completely, I think someone else might savour it. Thus, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I could have given it a rating of 3, but due to the awkward sentence structure and the number of grammatical errors, I believe a rating of 2 is fitting.

Faculty of Matter
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

A mind-twisting plot indeed! It sounds as if the author may want to consider creating multiple books out of the one in order to further develop the overabundant amount of concepts you have mentioned in your review.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Lying AI's?? This sounds really intriguing. Thanks for your interesting review. I like this one.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

this sounds like a very interesting story and the author could have easily made it into a series instead of cramming it all in one book, seeing that this was one of your worries. There are a lot of possibilities with stories like this. Thanks for your honest review.
bluedragonsii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedragonsii.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01AZ8ERHI

Post by bluedragonsii »

The premise of this book sounds like it could be engrossing. Although I dislike subplots that are not fully addressed, the idea of AI capable of deception really could be a tense read. I love good suspense. Might have to take a chance on this one. Thank you for your thoughts.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm interested. The technology and all the ideas presented seem fascinating. I'm a bit worried, though, that there are too many ideas. Science fiction writers especially seem to struggle with too many ideas in a short time. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

It's quite interesting to hear about the authors imaginings of lying AI's and alien war on earth. I am slowly becoming a fan of science fiction and I hope to read this soon. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
BoookWorm616
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by BoookWorm616 »

The premise of this book sounds like it could be engrossing. Although I dislike subplots that are not fully addressed, the idea of AI capable of deception really could be a tense read. I love good suspense. Might have to take a chance on this one. Thank you for your thoughts.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”