Official Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raptor" by B.A. Bostick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Frank Bishop, a private investigator, has gotten himself into a ton of trouble. He was hired to find a missing little girl and followed the leads to a wealthy lawyer named Nikolai Tesslovich. In the opening scenes, we find him duct taped to a chair being tortured by one of Nikolai’s henchmen. Then a creature comes busting through the window. She is part human, part angel, and all avenger. She cuts off Nikolai’s head which spurts green blood. She then shoots the torturer, frees Frank, and flies off with him.

This exciting scene is only the beginning of the fast-paced, supernatural ride called Raptor by b. a. bostick. This first book of a trilogy does a great job of setting up a world where good and evil battle to keep a semi-equal balance. Frank soon learns that raptors are a type of warrior sent to kill demons in response to any aggression on their part. They protect mankind or at least keep evil at bay. True angels are kept in reserve for a major apocalypse. Ariel, the raptor, and Frank work together to find that his missing child case does indeed have ties to her assignment to assassinate Nikolai. It gets even more complicated when Nikolai shows up in court, very much alive. According to Ariel, “He’s not that kind of demon.” The story takes twists and turns as they uncover a plot using kidnapped children as part of an experiment to create an invincible demon army.

I felt the author did a great job with character development. Even minor characters are given enough back-story and personality to be real and create an emotional connection. I also appreciated the snippets of foreshadowing that keep the reader interested and create questions that will not be answered until later in the trilogy. For example, two raptors in the story have dreams that seem to point to a past of being completely human, yet they have no conscious memory of any such life. The book definitely points to a sequel, but the main storyline is completed enough to be a satisfying read on its own.

The author spends a longer than average amount of time on scene description. I felt this made the story lag occasionally, but that is a matter of personal preference. Other readers would probably really appreciate the details. Most will also appreciate the dry humor scattered through the story to break up the tension.

There is some minor profanity and one sex scene, so this book is not for young readers. It is well-edited with very few errors. It would be enjoyable for teens and adults alike who enjoy a good crime story with some supernatural characters and events. Overall, I rate it as 4 out of 4 stars. The writing flows well and the action and mystery keep the reader involved. I would gladly read the sequel.

Raptor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's been a long time! (: I love that this book has great and relatable characters, and the premise seems really interesting. Thanks for the detailed review, and I'm placing this on my to-read list.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

Sounds like a great read. I like a well developed character plot especially one that is laced with some supernatural characters and events. This will make for a good read I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I was so close to picking this book to review - and now I'm sad I didn't! Although, after your recommendation, I have definitely added it to my to-read list :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Although I am not the biggest fan of urban fantasy noir genre, your review makes me curious about this book. It seems complicated in an interesting and refreshing way. The illustration on the front cover looks so uniquely fun, so I will consider checking the novel out.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds very interesting. Fast-paced with great character development. Though it's not overly graphic, the few explicit scenes it contains would be a turn off to me. I think I'll pass but thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross

gen_g wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 03:03 It's been a long time! (: I love that this book has great and relatable characters, and the premise seems really interesting. Thanks for the detailed review, and I'm placing this on my to-read list.
Thanks for stopping by. Life got in the way of my reading for a while, but I'm back in action now. :P
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Sounds like a imaginative and intriguing story. Especially the whole angel-demon-human interplay going on. I agree with you that too much description can make a story lag. But you write a compelling review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Definitely my type of books. Thank you for your informative review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Jackie Holycross

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 05:47 I was so close to picking this book to review - and now I'm sad I didn't! Although, after your recommendation, I have definitely added it to my to-read list :)
That happens to me all the time. I pass a book over or wait too long and it's gone, then it ends up being great.
Jackie Holycross

SpencerVo wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 08:26 Although I am not the biggest fan of urban fantasy noir genre, your review makes me curious about this book. It seems complicated in an interesting and refreshing way. The illustration on the front cover looks so uniquely fun, so I will consider checking the novel out.
Funny - I had never even heard of the genre before. I think I might look for more.
Jackie Holycross

Dael Reader wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 17:43 Sounds like a imaginative and intriguing story. Especially the whole angel-demon-human interplay going on. I agree with you that too much description can make a story lag. But you write a compelling review.
It reminded me of Frank Peretti's work but without the religious themes.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Angel's are the new black in the horror/fantasy sector! There sounds like a lot of lore behind the story and I hope the book covers the more grey areas of morality, rather than just a good vs. evil, just out of personal preference.

thanks for the review I shall give the book a browse.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Definitely this is a nice, supernatural fantasy. Nice review and thank you for sharing 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I am intrigued - though Nicolai is decapitated, he still turns up very much alive in court! The book sounds fast-paced and action-packed. Thanks for the compelling review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”