Official Review: Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachelyingling2010
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull

Post by Rachelyingling2010 »

As I was reading the review I was thinking this sounds like a book my teenage boys would enjoy. I love that the author was able to combine adventure, mystery and learning all together. I’m always telling my students how much fun reading can be and that you can learn so much from reading as well. I love that this author proves this point, you really can have fun reading and learn too!
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

In Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull, the author in a unique way told the fictitious story with educative facts.
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull by Caren Bonds Hanson
Is an adventure book concerning two brothers Dante winds Lexy
The story is how the two brothers were teleported
I found this book interesting..
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Kimberly Grow »

I am glad to find out that this is a children's book. I would never have guessed this from the cover and the first chapter. I was immediately turned off by the childish language (not knowing it was a children's book) and to be honest, I couldn't figure out whether or not this was meant to be fiction or non-fiction with the illustration in the first chapter being a real photograph. My whole experience was confusion.

Luckily, I read your great review and now I understand better what the novel entails. I do love that it speaks about evolution in a way that children can understand. I will definitely be giving this a thorough read.
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:
Yanryna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yanryna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Yanryna »

Very positive and inspiring review, which genuinely made me believe that I have to have this book on my shelf! It is exciting, and I can see that the reader highly enjoyed it. I like those reviews; it wasn't dry. The minus about the grammatical mistakes doesn't make the book worse (nothing in this world is perfect). We can forgive the authors for little misspellings when they have a burning idea and are in a rush to put them on the paper. I like that the review touched such detail as the well-written characters. It was also interesting to learn that it is written in a natural tone language, has tests, and pictures. I would give it a try!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

This sounds like a really fun book with the elements of time travel and adventure.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

This seems like a book that is right up my alley! I love books where people travel in time, especially when it's by accident. :D I especially like that the main protagonists are children, which is rare in a time-travel setting. I will definitely be looking forward to reading this book. Thank you for your review!
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I like that the book has educative elements and that the contents are infused in a fun and exciting manner. But unfortunately, I don't believe in evolution and since the book features this topic, I'm not sure if I'll read the book. Thank you for your incredible review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Your appreciation of this book for tweens has enabled you to pinpoint the essential elements of the text, including the sound characterization and the interest in archaeology that the author arouses in the reader. Well done!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the archeological discussions which helps in developing a skill in preservation of fossils. Thanks for the review.
navyapindi
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 234

Post by navyapindi »

I like Young Adult Sci-fi/Fantasy a lot. The storyline is gripping. Glad to know that the author has done a stellar job in portraying evolution of man, animal species, etc. I look forward to reading this book and have that adrenaline rush throughout the adventure. Congrats on BOTD!
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

"Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull" is science fiction thriller by Caren Hanson about two kids who get thrown back in prehistoric times by the powers of a mysterious skull. They have to use their wits and lessons to figure out which time period they are in and how to get back home. Congratulations on BOTD!!
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I'm interested in this book being an adventure and sci-fi book. It is also good to know that it will help refresh my knowledge of Geography. Thanks for the review.
Devika menon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-menon.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by Devika menon »

Thanks for the review! The content sounds exciting and being a lover of adventure, I am so glad I found your review. I know for sure that I want to read this book especially since there seems to be depth to the protagonists that goes beyond the adventure.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

It seems this adventure and time-travel fantasy novel contains a lot. I'm glad that readers can actually learn or refresh their memory on evolution, history and Geography, and that it is well-illustrated and character development is superb too. Since I love sci-fi/fantasy novels, I would like to go for the details in this one. Thank you for this wonderful review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”