Official Review: Apex Five by Sarah Katz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Official Review: Apex Five by Sarah Katz

Post by Beatus »

Sounds like a good story to read. The first attempt is always the most difficult. Let us hope that the author will do the necessary and improve the book. Very nice review. You definately piqued my interest.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A Science fiction storytelling 12,000 after an apocalyptic event from which only five towering structures survive, around which five countries emerged. All in another plane or world were mysterious creatures and situations presents. A real fix for Sci-fi fans. Congrats.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds right up my alley. I love when science fiction is multilayered with a thoroughly-developed world. When it includes examinations of sociopolitical issues in our world, it's even better. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The world built in Apex Five sounds enormous and overwhelming. I like how you drew the parallels between the storyline and real life.thanks for the engaging review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This particular sci-fi book appears too dense for my reading interest at the moment, but I'm sure lovers of the genre will have a filled day! Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Justice of peace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Justice of peace »

I love science fiction book, because they are very interesting.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I occasionally read sci-fi. This one seems interesting and the glossary at the end that explains complex words will help me follow the story easily. Nice review
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Very thorough review thank you. The book does sound well written and interesting. People with mutations and powers always appeal to me. Sounds like the characters are well developed which is important. Congratulations on BOTD.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Sounds like a very complicated yet exciting scifi adventure. I do agree though that info dumping on the first chapters are not good. It decreases readability. Thanks for this review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Tabira, a technological utopia, experiences a revolution which leads it to take over the Plane, a post-apocalyptic world. Warlords emerge, and an effort to restore sanity makes for an enthralling tale.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Seems like a dense plot. Though the characters are well developed and structured, I don't think I'll enjoy this book. However, I'll try out the sample to find that out. Thanks for the review, though.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
yellowcallisto
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yellowcallisto »

My history with sci-fi books is limited the Roadside picnic and Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, sci-fi is not usually something I enjoy reading because very little of the worlds are based on the "known", and so we get a Lord of the Rings sized info-intro. But this one actually sounds interesting, I'm excited to read it.
Ub43I59
Favorite Book: For the Love of God
Currently Reading: The Judge
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Ub43I59 »

Apex Five by Sarah Katz "The narrative leaps across characters and places as Katz sets everyone up for a collision course that would shape the entire future of the Plane, for better or worse." Five nation peoples intersect against geopolitical, technological, changes in culture and outlawed spiritual practice of religion and rebellion as the plot unfolds. Detailed review of a sci-fi thriller. Congratulations on BOTD
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Apex Five by Sarah Katz is a sprawling other-worldly epic about the mythical Plane, where five countries fight for resources, land, technology, survival and power. As inaramid says in her review, the book mirrors the conflicts that mankind has faced and continues to face through the ages. Inaramid provides a substantial, insightful review of the book that matches the novel's heft. After reading the review, I would like to commend Apex Five author Sarah Katz for her intricate world building. The story appears to have so many moving parts, it would be interesting to see how Katz did the Herculean task of bringing all the characters and elements together for a well-paced and cohesive science fiction epic that leads to a convincing, all-encompassing, shock-and-awe Mordor-like finale.
raheela49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by raheela49 »

The book, in my opinion, is not bad however it did take me until chapter six to really understand the story, and just when you're getting into it, the story changes to a different character. At first, I wasn't happy with this, however, it made sense.
The author Sarah Katz had an idea about where she was going with it, and I have to admit that some bits of the story were very intense, and yet some I was a little lost about where the story was going.
My overview of Apex Five is that it is a good read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”