Official Review: Another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Official Review: Another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors" by D.R. Simpson (Donald R. Simpson).]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Age of Giants by D.R. Simpson is the first book in a fantasy series. It follows the trials of men at the hands of the ruthless giants called Troguares from the Mighty Brim Mountains. The two races fight countless battles, and each time the giants find themselves victorious. They imprison and enslave the surviving men and women. This goes on for generations until the name of both giants and men gradually starts to fade away.

The giants’ leader is a warlord known as Obizar. Even after men and giants begin to disappear, the name Obizar is a constant source of fear for men. Many think he is immortal, which heightens that sense of fright. All hope now lies on the people of Tyrus, who show promise of rising against Obizar and the Troguares. If successful, these people could restore the name of mankind as well as peace to the race.

Even though the premise for this book is decent, there were a variety of problems with this story. The writing, for starters, is very poor. There were numerous grammatical mistakes on every page of the book. I caught ten errors in the first two paragraphs alone. There were all sorts of errors, such as misspellings, missing punctuation marks, inconsistencies, redundancies, etc. Page one, for instance, reads, “Fore it is written that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth and all living creatures that dwelled upon it.” Countless mistakes like that heavily distracted me while reading this novel.

The author also made the mistake of telling almost the entire story rather than showing it. The book became very disengaging from the start, as a result. The battle scenes, especially, were difficult to read. Scenes such as those need to be shown through actions and descriptions. Since it was all told instead, it made all the battles seem repetitive and boring. Additionally, the dialogue was pretty unrealistic. The characters all spoke as if they were reciting poetry, which took away from the story, too. There was also hardly any character development, making all the characters bland and one-dimensional. Part of the problem there was that the author had a tendency to kill off characters before the reader could form any type of attachment to them.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The idea had potential, and if written properly, it could’ve been a pleasant read. However, the book’s poor execution made for an unsatisfactory novel. I think the author ought to completely rewrite this story and have an editor look at it as well. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this book to anyone.

Another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this has been written so poorly. I've read books that told the entire story instead of showing. It really becomes quite boring. I'm definitely going to have to pass on this book. I admire you for persevering through this one until the end. Hope your next book is better.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

Yes, the premise looks good, but the numerous errors have let the book down. A good editing would make it perfect.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Great idea but quite unfortunate that the author got most things wrong. Anyway, i believe its not yet late and the writer could still correct the problems and make this book great.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Wow. I agree that the premise for the book is decent. Thank you for the honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Galnius »

10 mistakes within 2 paragraphs is a bit much for my tastes.
Robert Fred
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-fred.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Robert Fred »

I find it very troubling to read something that dosen´t flow. To have characters names that you can´t even pronounce and talking in poetic ways, not for me . Thanks for your review and i´ll pass on this one as well.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It seems the giants spoiled everything, including the writing. Funny that page one started that way. Golfers yell " Fore!" to warn bystanders before making a mighty swing. It might be a warning that the book is dangerous. Lol!
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

It is indeed disheartening that a promising story line as this is plagued with a lot of grammatical errors. It really takes away the joy from reading. The plot was strong and one of a kind but i guess the author fell short.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”